996     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 637     0 

U of T: Multi Faith Centre

R

rdaner

As an atheist I usually ignore religious architecture but this item caught my attention. Has anyone used this space? à am currently living in a country that has seen tremendous turnoil caused by religýous differences and this space allowed me to feel that there is a way create environments for everyone.

University of Toronto Multi Faith Centre:

Project Description:

In December of 2006, the Multi Faith Centre at the University of Toronto will open after ten years of planning by the University and only seven months in construction. Although the project is small in scope and fairly rapid in architectural execution, the aspirations of the Centre are significant. The UofT is secular by definition but acknowledges that many of its population do not define themselves in secular terms.

Institutions across North America have been grappling with the issue of how to accommodate the spiritual needs of their students and create opportunities for interfaith dialogue and exploration while remaining true to their secular mandates. The solution to accommodating burgeoning diversity and interest in spirituality at many North American universities has been to create so-called multifaith spaces.

The purpose of the Multi Faith Centre is to support the spiritual well-being of students, staff and faculty and to increase the understanding and respect for religious beliefs and practices.

The objectives of the Centre are as simple as to provide a dignified space for daily spiritual contemplation and as complex as to examine the role of religious practice and spiritual development in the preparation of students for leadership in the global community.

In September of 2005, M&T were awarded the commission for the renovation of two floors of the 1,900 SM Koffler Centre of Pharmacy Management at 569 Spadina Ave. to serve as the Multi Faith Centre.

Design Description:

The main focus of the design is the Main Activity or Prayer Hall which combined two existing triangular shaped stepped lecture halls into a new, single level, symmetrical, east oriented room for two hundred worshippers. The challenge of the Hall was to create a spiritually evocative space that was not referential or biased to any one faith group. The room also had to accommodate those faiths that worship iconographically and those that worship iconoclastically, with and without symbols.

To accommodate the aesthetic, symbolic and spiritual needs of these religions the Hall was designed to be as non-exclusive as possible. All sensitivities were taken into consideration. Our goal was to avoid all religious ornamentation and symbolism, but include key elements to satisfy all religions (such as facing Mecca) and then create one single element that was common to all. That common element was light, in both the spiritual and metaphysical sense.

The expression of light was the distinguishing feature of the space. Framed in Venetian Plaster is 80 SM of glowing, back lit ceiling and front wall. The gesture is minimal with a custom support ceiling system and hidden alcoves on the front wall which, when open, reveal the icons of four of the most active faith groups on campus.

The search for the right translucent material began with plastics and polyesters, fabrics and decorative papers laminated to glass. With considerable effort and examination of the budgets the final material will be white onyx laminated to glass, chosen for the natural texture and evocative variation in the stone. For ease of installation and ceiling accessibility the 39 kg/SM ceiling had to be panelized. This was achieved by dividing the panels using geometries and proportions significant to different religions. In doing so we were able to address the symbolic references significant to many of the different participating religions.

This mosaic creates a lit field which not only creates a edifying ambiance but brings together the spirituality of all religions.

Sounds pretty impressive. Thanks for posting.

AoD

Here's an idea: if the UofT wants to combat religious strife, it should open a centre for debunking religion. Universities should be promoting rational and critical thinking - which is the opposite of faith.

I wonder if Daniel Dennett, Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris will ever get an invite to speak.

I'm not particularly religious, but I'm always drawn to religious buildings for their architecture. This may not be very politically correct - and feel free to edit this out, moderators - but the more dogmatic and fervent the faith, the more impressive and beautiful the architecture. I have not - and may never - had a chance to see it with my own eyes, but the great mosques of Isfahan, Iran, strike me as some of the most sublime and beautiful expressions humans ever carved out of stone. Same goes for the great Gothic and Romanesque cathedrals. Then again, there are some Gigachurches in the US bible belt that are in windowless boxes, so maybe my theory flies out the window, there.

4 of the top 5 architectural experiences of my life were in religious buildings; I guess you could say they :

1. Santa Maria dei Miracoli, Venice
2. Cathedral at Speyer, Germany
3. Ottmarsheim Church, France
4. Renzo Piano's Pierpont Morgan library addition, New York*
5. Chartres Cathedral, France

* I went to see a Bob Dylan exhibit there, so that's pretty much a religious pilgrimage for me.

I'm quite skeptical of the building typology of "multi-faith centre" because it's just so hard to create a place of worship that is multi-faith.

Christian worship spaces tend to be (but does not necessarily have to be) based on a stage where worship/sermon/Mass is performed, with the congregation sitting on seats (occasionally on the floor). Depending on whether you're a Protestant or a Roman Catholic, you will either have a simple cross or a crucifix for decoration. Meanwhile, Muslims need to worship on the floor, with a "qibla" to show them the direction to Mecca so that they can do their prayers toward it.

If you're in a polytheistic religion, say Hinduism or Chinese Buddhism or traditional Chinese religions, then you will need an image (or images) of your gods to pray to and make offerings to. I don't see any way you're going to fit those things in a religious space shared by monotheists who are against displaying "idols".

The article above talks about the challenge of unifying all the different symbols of the different faiths into one room. The success of the prayer hall depends on whether religious student groups will actually want to use the space. On the one hand they might use it, but on the other hand they might complain that it's got too many influences from other religions and refuse to use it.

Here's an idea: if the UofT wants to combat religious strife, it should open a centre for debunking religion.

sounds like the perfect remedy for peace and harmony

I'm not sure how I feel about the U of T having a faith centre of any kind, but I'd be interested to see how it turned out. Maybe pictures of the space in its standard configuration, compared to its mosque configuration, Catholic configuration, Protestant configuration, Jewish, Sikh, Hindu, etc etc. If it functions equally for all of the above, then you might actually have a multi-faith centre. I'd be impressed if it actually worked.

***I wonder if atheists will be allowed to use the centre for their own, er, faith meetings.

"hidden alcoves on the front wall which, when open, reveal the icons of four of the most active faith groups on campus."

This sounds ridiculous.

I must confess that I'm a little nervous about this. However innocuous and well-intentioned these gestures are, Religion does seem to be creeping back into areas that hitherto have struggled so long and so hard to free themselves from it; i.e. the halls of academia and also the seats of civic representation. Ironically, the best way to safeguard and respect the very religious freedom and tolerance that those gestures seek to promote is in fact to preserve these areas as free from it (Religion) at all cost.

Seriously, why don't they just build a small mosque or something? You know that's what they want to do but some prejudiced Christian group is complaining about it and demanding it be multi-faith. The multi-faith, icons-in-alcoves aspect is hogwash. There's a Catholic church smack dab in the middle of the campus - not to mention the entire Catholic college over at St. Mike's. They just built the Wolfond Centre for Jewish Campus Life. There's probably tons of other spaces, churches, centres, for other denominations either on campus (Knox College, etc.) or within walking distance. Build a little mosque, a Hindu temple, whatever, just ditch the multi-faith nonsense.

The only group really pressed for prayer space in large numbers are muslims so I don't really see the need for a "Multi Faith Centre" accept to acknowledge that there are various denominations in Islam. As for the commentary of separation of religion and university isn't that a little revisionary? Religion has been at the core of U of T since its founding.

How about an Athiest Centre?

Or a Centre for Pagan revival, featuring some old time debauchery during a full moon.

Sorry if the last remark offended any pagans here. I'm not really up to date on this religion stuff.

Pagans gather to worship in Riverdale Park after sunset throughout the summer months.

Back