Toronto U of T: Landscape of Landmark Quality | ?m | 1s | U of T | MVVA

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Didn't see this one coming - there is a landscape design competition coming for the U of T St. George campus (King's College Circle/Front & Back Campus) - 4 shortlisted teams:
There will be a public presentation of the schemes next week:

Public Presentations: An evening with the Design Teams
Monday, September 28th, 2015 – 6:00-9:00 PM
6:00 pm Welcome and presentations

8:10 pm Q&A and concluding remarks

Convocation Hall, 31 King’s College Circle

More info:

http://landmark.utoronto.ca/

AoD

…like at York, (Glendon), Seneca, Humber, Centennial… ?

This is coming from a fairly rich university. I'm not sure where you'd find other institutions with the financial heft to pull something like this off.

I am curious as to why didn't just implement the original (2003) scheme by Andropogon in full, considering they've already did so partially (the King's College Road gateway).

upload_2015-9-25_9-4-6.png

(p. 28 of the report linked below)

For a history of the space, including info on the 2003 scheme mentioned:
http://www.updc.utoronto.ca/Assets/...ning/Featured+Projects/landmark-committee.pdf

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-25_9-4-6.png
    upload_2015-9-25_9-4-6.png
    307.1 KB · Views: 5,295
Last edited:
…like at York, (Glendon), Seneca, Humber, Centennial… ?

This is coming from a fairly rich university. I'm not sure where you'd find other institutions with the financial heft to pull something like this off.

Not just at post secondary institutions but at different places in the city.

I'd probably choose the 2nd proposal, if it were up to me. Bringing back the Hart House pond is a must.

DTAH + MVVA for me, and MVVA's track record at Corktown Commons give me a certain confidence that the public space in general, and water feature (Hart House Pond) in particular will work out well.

AoD

There's so many trade offs with each of the designs I can't seem to decide which one I think is best.. Definitely love the Hart House pond with the bridge form the 3rd proposal and stone paving of the circle. Also love that they are going to make it pedestrian only. Dislike, turning into soccer field, having the parking area exposed. If I had to choose probably the 4th one.

There were definitely great ideas in each presentation (although they did seem to all be a little "over designed"), but each one also had drawbacks that I found it hard to swallow. I think a scheme incorporating the best of each proposal would be a good idea.

Many of the buildings on campus are covered in soot and grime. I hope the stonework on buildings like University College will be cleaned.

University_College,_University_of_Toronto.jpg

Photo: Wikipedia

Was down at Con Hall for the presentations.

DTAH/MVVA for me, with Rosenberg in second place. I don't understand why KPMB/MVVA doesn't include a pond in front of Hart House. Because of that, it's a non-starter with me. My last choice would be Public Work as I think the "arc" to the southeast corner is the most intrusive of all the interventions, and promises this rather strange and dark entry to the underside of the circle, whether it's a programmed space or not. Overthought.

Back