UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Photo of the Day: Gardiner Canyon
ALSO

U of T: Landscape of Landmark Quality | 0s | KPMB/MVVA

Sky Blue Skin

Reaction score
They're not a large firm, and I bet their fees are pretty high. But I do agree, it would be nice to have more of their work around!
It is strange that their website doesn't even list their portfolio. I would love to see them design condos in the city and see what they could come up with for a tall office tower. Additionally, I wonder what a Shim-Sutcliffe vision for The Arbour would look like. Anyway, sorry for going off topic.

Keith C Cowan

Reaction score
It is strange that their website doesn't even list their portfolio. I would love to see them design condos in the city and see what they could come up with for a tall office tower. Additionally, I wonder what a Shim-Sutcliffe vision for The Arbour would look like. Anyway, sorry for going off topic.
I just got a fund raiser announcing $1000 for a one foot tile. No other details. Do they not understand marketing?

raptor

Reaction score

"Landscape of Landmark Quality Project": Site Plan Control application to construct an underground parking garage to consolidate and relocate of parking from Front Campus and King's College Circle.
Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Site Plan Approval​
19 129065 STE 11 SA​
Mar 21, 2019​
Application Received​

Development Applications

PMT

Reaction score
Updated application description:

Site Plan Control application to relocate existing surface parking around King's College Circle into a one-level below-grade garage under part of the Front Campus open space that would be accessed from Wellesley Street West and would contain 267 vehicle spaces and 226 bicycle spaces. The Front Campus at-grade open space is proposed to be expanded and enhanced through new landscaped spaces, pathways, planting, seating, lighting, sustainable design features and a 100 square metre pavilion building at the southeast corner of the Front Campus. King's College Circle is proposed to be redesigned as a shared street that prioritizes pedestrian and cyclist movement while allowing limited vehicular access for emergency vehicles, servicing and accessible parking.

Renders of the pavillion:

Northern Light

Reaction score
Are they intending to allow the tourist/sight-seeing buses on front campus still?

AlvinofDiaspar

Reaction score
That's a very shallow underground garage - according to the plans, the roof will only have 60cm of soil on top. Not that they are likely to have anything but grass above.

AoD

greenleaf

Reaction score
Are they intending to allow the tourist/sight-seeing buses on front campus still?
I don’t think they have allowed those buses around King’s College Circle for a couple years now. I’m not around that part of campus as much as other spaces, so I might be wrong.

Student99

Reaction score
Is there no longer a northwest pavilion planned?

I believe they had initially planned to include a cafe located at the southeast one, but doesn't look like it any longer. I wonder why a pavilion is needed at all- why not just have an underground direct connection into the medical sciences building. A pavilion clutters the landscape and will make that corner of the circle look too "busy". Right now, the DNA sculpture is the focal point there, and this pavilion is going to take away from that.

What exactly about this plan is "landmark quality" by the way... has it received awards for design? significant attention in a landscape magazine? If not, they really should revise it or else not refer to it as "landmark quality"