News   Apr 22, 2024
 803     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 681     0 

U of T: Jackman Institute of Child Study (56-58 Spadina Rd, 3s, Taylor Smyth Architects) COMPLETE

P23

Member Bio
Reaction score
These 2 buildings are owned by U of T with 56 being operated as a daycare, I believe the one on the right is being demolished? Can't really find anything else on this project, but a crew was on site today putting up fencing.

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 2.59.52 PM.png

Site Plan: To construct a three-storey addition with basement linking two existing buildings at 56 Spadina Road and 45 Walmer Road. The existing building at 58 Spadina Road will be demolished. The new lot is comprised of 56 & 58 Spadina Road and 45 Walmer Road and is owned by the University of Toronto.
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=3534436&isCofASearch=false

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 2.59.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 2.59.52 PM.png
    751.7 KB · Views: 1,871
'Institute of Child Study' sounds like something from the Soviet Bloc.

The majority of this complex is a daycare, and obviously someone is studying the children while under care there. I've always wondered how the parents feel about knowing their children are guinea pigs.

My own answer: Given the childcare situation in this city, probably just happy they have a spot.

The new building will have up to Grade 6 in it.

Every kid in every school is a guinea pig. UTS, practically kitty corner from here, had a long history of more-than-the-usual amount of student teacher training in it, with the Faculty of Education having been in its west wing for eons. In this case, the parents should not mind at all, I would think, as the Jackman Institute is run by well regarded educators who give pedagogy more attention than the average school.

Neat that it's a school. I always saw parents dropping off young children and assumed it was a daycare.

According to their website, tuition is far from free, so they must be doing something right.

There is a lot of demand for this school. We submitted applications for each of our kids the week they were born to attend here two years later, and there still wasn't space.

ETA: getting a daycare space in downtown (at least a couple years ago) felt like finding a large detached house under $500k on the subway line.

This keeps progressing, albeit not at lightning speed. It is partway through excavation.

These photos are from this morning:

ICS 1.jpg

ICS2.jpg

ICS3.jpg

ICS4.jpg

ICS5.jpg

Attachments

• ICS 1.jpg
    ICS 1.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 983
  • ICS2.jpg
    ICS2.jpg