Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

But if you are extending the subway to VMC (and that station does seem to have shown some value.....perhaps even beyond expectations) you have to pass the 407 anyway and since you are planning a BRT in that corridor why not build that station too.

I guess I am saying the criticisms are, both, too micro and too early.

I like to think of Highway 407 station as the bus equivalent of an airport (or even Richmond Hill Centre): (basically) in the middle of nowhere and no walk-in traffic, but plenty of people through feeder buses and transfers.

With Downsview Park, trick factor is to redevelop the area with new development, so that the people will come. As for 407, don't know how well that will do, considering it is across from from a cemetery...

I think the "trick" is to not make Downsview Park (and the whole line in general) so unbelievably expensive and complex. It's obviously warranted to build a rapid transit station there, even if the Park wasn't developed. Lots of jobs in its vicinity.

Whether the line should've been so deep, built with conventional Toronto rolling stock and 150m stations, then more frivolous things like each station designed by a separate starchitect complete with emergency exits on par with King Tut's burial chamber...that should be more the argument. The engineers weren't happy with the tight curve required for Downsview Park station, nor the watery nightmare of going under Black Creek north of Steeles. Present a comparable option with these things omitted, may look really good. Not unlike Line 3 upgrade plan. But we didn't get that.

The cemetery will be gone in 200+ years.

Maybe.

But if you are extending the subway to VMC (and that station does seem to have shown some value.....perhaps even beyond expectations) you have to pass the 407 anyway and since you are planning a BRT in that corridor why not build that station too.

I guess I am saying the criticisms are, both, too micro and too early.

The BRT, will it ever be built in the next 10 years ? No, yes, because that is why it is too early to judge 407 station, so we have to wait and see.

I think the "trick" is to not make Downsview Park (and the whole line in general) so unbelievably expensive and complex. It's obviously warranted to build a rapid transit station there, even if the Park wasn't developed. Lots of jobs in its vicinity.

Whether the line should've been so deep, built with conventional Toronto rolling stock and 150m stations, then more frivolous things like each station designed by a separate starchitect complete with emergency exits on par with King Tut's burial chamber...that should be more the argument. The engineers weren't happy with the tight curve required for Downsview Park station, nor the watery nightmare of going under Black Creek north of Steeles. Present a comparable option with these things omitted, may look really good. Not unlike Line 3 upgrade plan. But we didn't get that.

Well, I mean, there are jobs around the Downsview Park Station, but aside from that, not much to attract riders to the station.

Not sure what the relevance of 10 years is but I think we need to step back and acknowledge that the subway had to, and did, get to York.....and the York station and PV station are doing ok. The tone of the media reports yesterday were all along the lines of "we should have built the two stations on campus and Finch West and left the others out"... you can't get from Sheppard W (former Downsview station terminus) to York or Finch without passing through the Downsview Park site....so I have no problem with that station getting built for its future potential and transit links to GO.

similarly, VMC is doing better than, I think, most suspected and we are seeing the development around the station....so it's future looks bright. I guess it could be argued that 407 station should have been maybe just roughed in until the 407 busway was built but, really, what would that have saved and, short of stopping the subway at PV, I think we can live with an underused station here.

The fact is, some station somewhere is going to be the leased used station in the system....it is how league tables work.

I have no problems with how the extension was funded in terms of capital: ~1/3 for each, so area pays for 2 stations. The problem arises for the TTC, and having them and riders foot the bill for 407 and DVP since Metrolinx isn't currently bringing people to the station, meaning there's a lot of lost potential revenue for the city.

When compared to other subway extensions/lines in the city, the TYSSE was actually comparatively cheap. The crosstown, DRL and SSE are going to be a lot more expensive per kilometer given their technology despite not really having the same challenges this subway extension had (with the exception of the DRL)
Here's an approximate cost breakdown for a cost/km of each line
SS: 255 million (4 new stations + 1 renovation)
TYSSE: 372 million (6 new stations)
ECLRT: 415 million (12 new stations, small + 3 renovations)
SSE: 514 million (1 new station + 1 renovation)
SSE (3 Stop): 643 million (3 new stations + 1 renovation)
YNSE: 735 million (5 new stations)
DRL: 1250 million (5 new stations + 3 renovations)
RLN: 556 million (unknown, probably 5 new stations + 2 renovations)

Lots of coulda shoulda woulda but honestly 407 and vmc station could have been merged into one station. Move vmc south slightly and 407 north slightly

Considering that the north end of the Highway 407 platform and the south end of VMC platform are about 3300 feet apart, how "slightly" are you suggesting exactly?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Can this thread be closed, since the project is complete? asking for a friend.
My friend is also tired from the discussion in the last few pages.

Can this thread be closed, since the project is complete? asking for a friend.
My friend is also tired from the discussion in the last few pages.
Unfollow the thread? This has been asked before. There are a lot of issues still regarding the project, such as ridership, development, etc.

Unfollow the thread? This has been asked before. There are a lot of issues still regarding the project, such as ridership, development, etc.
Why does ridership matter at this point, really? So some group may say "I told you so"?
development can be discussed in their respective threads.

Here’s a change of topic.

Google Maps still doesn’t show the yellow line for the TYSSE, even though someone said months ago that they were working on it.

Why does one of the world’s largest companies take months and months to draw a stupid line a map?

Well, that I have to say is ridiculous. But, maybe Google is distracted by other stuff...

Well, that I have to say is ridiculous. But, maybe Google is distracted by other stuff...

Have you ever Google something and try to link to it? The link takes forever because of all the extra complicated code they include. Have to copy and paste the link to https://urlclean.com/ to get rid of the extra code and get there directly and faster.

Have you ever Google something and try to link to it? The link takes forever because of all the extra complicated code they include. Have to copy and paste the link to https://urlclean.com/ to get rid of the extra code and get there directly and faster.

I know there is code involved, but if a tourist was looking at Google Maps on where Line 1 goes, they'll see the subway ends at Sheppard West, and, get confused.

Back