Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I'm not that old, but in my eyes the T1s are still new.
It's funny because some people think they are antiques. I have people asking me all the time when the TTC is going to get rid of them and replace them. If only they knew how old some of the subway cars were in NYC and London, UK were then they wouldn't be whining about them.

Hard to believe it was built in the "outskirts" of the city in the beginning.

Davisville was hardly the "outskirts" in the early 50s.

Is that the portal for the unused north connector tunnel to Sheppard West station near the bottom left?

Yes. The yellow track device - a tamper - is on the open-air section of it.

A dumb question but...why does the TTC need a loop? Was it there when it was the end of the line and they jut have never modified the yard since?

The loop is regularly used in order to turn trains around and even out wear on things like controllers, slewing bearings, couplers, etc.

And more importantly, when they were running the G-cars had handed couplers - you could only couple an even-numbered car to an odd-numbered one. Thus you had to make sure that they were always arranged in the correct manner.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'd think the TTC will open the tunnel when the yard expansion is complete.

The new north build-up will go active when that stretch of the mainline ATC/ATO goes active in late June.

Also, what's going on to the east of the yard?

Carhouse extension/expansion. Being done for the TRs. The building was extended by two tracks to the east, and has been lengthened by about 150 feet both north and south. Because of this, the carhouse ladder on the north side is being rebuilt and moved north, and the existing loop track will be removed and replaced with the new one that's just been completed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Meant to post these earlier in the week. It looks like the parking lot at VMC is well used. There's definitely a lot of pick up and drop off traffic around the station and also explains why the City of Vaughan are ticketing cars illegally stopping/parking around the station. Mind you that this is around 4:30 pm.

IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG
IMG_2687.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2668.JPG
    IMG_2668.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_2670.JPG
    IMG_2670.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_2687.JPG
    IMG_2687.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 461
And one more reason to put platform wall panels up at VMC:

View attachment 141358
My goodness, at this rate the concrete walls on the extension will look like what Lawrence West concrete walls look like today in no time. How didn't they take this into account with all the water table issues at virtually all of these stations.

There we many, many issues with the waterproofing work on this extension - without naming names, the products used did not perform as intended - I believe some lessons have been learned for Eglinton LRT (fingers crossed).

Back