Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Kids today don't have any comprehension of just how stressful, disorienting and frustrating the online world is for older folks. There are many things about it that aren't intuitive. I sympathize with folks who try to avoid it as much as possible.

The Presto card in particular has flaws and annoyances baked into it that simpler cards in cities like Shanghai have avoided. The worst, imo, is that that the card readers (the things you tap the card on) lack a screen that tells you how much is left on your card.
  1. I don't know if they still have this, but the worst was that you load money on your card, and if you don't use the card for a month then they reverse the transaction. If I transfer money from one bank account to another, they don't reverse it if my account stays dormant.
  2. The other problem is that if you load money on your card, it doesn't actually show up for 24 hours. If I buy something online, As soon as I click, the item is being shipped - no 24 hours wait period.

1. I don't know if they still have this, but the worst was that you load money on your card, and if you don't use the card for a month then they reverse the transaction. If I transfer money from one bank account to another, they don't reverse it if my account stays dormant.
  2. The other problem is that if you load money on your card, it doesn't actually show up for 24 hours. If I buy something online, As soon as I click, the item is being shipped - no 24 hours wait period.

This discussion has long progressed from TYSSE-specific Presto discussion to TYSSE-unrelated Presto discussion, but I'll respond to your points since they're ridiculous:

1. Why would you load money on your presto card then not use it for a month? Why not load it less than a month before you need to use it? Additionally, this does not apply to loads done in person, only online ones.
2a. Your statement as written is false, as you can load money at a customer service outlet or reload machine and it is on your card instantly, the waiting period only applies to online loads.
2b. Many readers such as the TTC bus/streetcar ones and GO train station ones update multiple times a day, your load can be ready anywhere from a couple of minutes later to about 4 hours later on those. Only the other 905 agencies' buses and GO buses update once a day; you'll really only wait 24 hours if you load at, say, 7 AM one day and need to take a YRT bus for instance.
2c. I find most functioning adults are able to plan their lives about 24 hours in advance. I don't think that it's reasonable for one to blame their inability to keep their life in order on Presto.
2d. You can enable autoload on your card so that it automatically and instantly tops up whenever it is low. The initial setup takes a couple of minutes, then you have to tap 24 hours later (or less per point ii above) but within 30 days, and then you're all set--whenever your card dips below your desired threshold it instantly reloads by your configured amount, no waiting period and no need to keep track of your balance if that sort of thing is difficult for you or you just prefer the convenience. This can be done with metropasses on the card too. You only need to redo the registration if you choose to autoload off a credit card and it expires or is cancelled, I believe bank account autoload doesn't expire.
2e. The comparison to online shopping makes absolutely no sense. What, exactly, if anything, do the two have in common? Please do educate the rest of us simpletons, and Metrolinx, for not being able to discern this extremely obvious similarity they share. Firstly, what online store do you use, exactly, that as soon as you click your item is being shipped? Even Amazon's same day delivery doesn't even start to work on shipping the item for several minutes, let alone actually ship it. And it is most certainly a 24 hour wait period unless you're using Amazon same day--I've never seen another online service that goes from order to receipt of package, consistently, with zero chance for carrier delays, in under 24 hours...for that matter I've ordered TONS of 1 day/same day amazon packages that get delayed to the 36-48 hour mark.

Also, can you please explain which online shopping website you use that's constantly driving around and can't afford an always-on mobile internet connection because it's taxpayer funded and taxpayers don't like having their taxes raised to pay for frivolities? Last time I checked, most online stores run off servers that are hardwired, usually with a dedicated fibre line, to the internet, at extremely high cost. Is there a transit agency somewhere in the world that has its buses driving around with a dedicated fibre line attached to the bus? That's an incredible feat of engineering, if so.

The real reason for this is passenger flow issues. It only takes one second (literally) to glance at the remaining balance, but imagine if every passenger did that. It adds up, and people already complain about Presto gates being slow to open. The other agencies don't have the passenger loads that the TTC has.

There has to be a balance. Are passenger loads per stop on the 33 Forest Hill so heavy that an extra second, per passenger who cares to closely inspect their balance and can't do so with just a quick glance, would impact service in any way? I think not. On the other hand, Bloor-Yonge or Union, or the 504 during peak? Yeah, probably not the best idea. But the overwhelming majority of subway stations' gates, and surface vehicles, at the majority of times on most days, are absolutely fine. It's only a small number of vehicles and stations during, mostly, AM and PM peak periods, where this could pose a minor inconvenience.

And I'm not sure how much you ride GO Trains during peak hours, or OCTranspo's busier routes like the O-Train at Carleton or many Transitway buses at stops like Mackenzie King, or busier GTA bus routes like the Zum 502 out of Square One with single-door boarding, or certain YRT/VIVA routes or GO buses out of York University. Many of these have extremely high passenger loads, I've never felt that people reading their balance information was contributing significantly to delays at presto readers aboard any of these services, all of which I've taken at hours when loads were as high, per presto reader, easily as Bloor-Yonge at AM peak for instance. Limited numbers of presto readers, and readers that are slow to recognize taps, are a bigger issue.

The slow fare gates the TTC has are a FAR bigger problem for passenger flow than showing balance as that delay is MUCH longer per passenger.

Last edited:
This discussion has long progressed from TYSSE-specific Presto discussion to TYSSE-unrelated Presto discussion, but I'll respond to your points since they're ridiculous:

1. Why would you load money on your presto card then not use it for a month? Why not load it less than a month before you need to use it? Additionally, this does not apply to loads done in person, only online ones.

Happened to me. Had to do with an unplanned event that took my spouse and I out of the country for ten days just after I loaded the card. Followed by an illness that kept one of us off transit for the rest of the thirty days. The second card just sat unused.

Stuff happens. And it was damned inconvenient when we went to use the card and the money wasn’t there. Didn’t expect that.

2a. Your statement as written is false, as you can load money at a customer service outlet or reload machine and it is on your card instantly, the waiting period only applies to online loads.

OK, but the whole point of the ability to load online is to enable people to be proactive and not stand in line at a machine. And online removes the need to pull out a payment card and stick it in the machine. So, why not make this functionality as helpful as possible? And which is it, reward the functioning adult or make them stand in line ?

I find most functioning adults are able to plan their lives about 24 hours in advance. I don't think that it's reasonable for one to blame their inability to keep their life in order on Presto.

It must be lonely up there on your pinnacle of organizational superiority. Like I said, stuff happens to us mortals. We may not have read and absorbed all the user manuals governing our lives.

I just replaced my six-year-old tablet with a new one. I was impressed with how slick the “transfer your data, files, passwords, and apps from old to new” functionality was. Being a functioning adult, I was expecting to have to do that myself. The point being, the designer actually set their sights on making the device utterly simple. It’s the principle of “customer delight, not customer satisfaction”.

Key rule of designing any customer facing process: When you second guess your users, and challenge whether they need what they tell you they need, you are already sliding down a slippery slope towards mediocrity. Bureaucratic thinking rules. A really slick app won’t tell you that you must be a stupid user because it didn’t work the way you expected.

2d. You can enable autoload on your card so that it automatically and instantly tops up whenever it is low.

Definitely the best alternative. Just leave the money on the card, used or not.

Oyster has something like a Billion pounds in unused credits on dormant Oyster cards - much of it tourists who left London with a pound ot two of unused money loaded on their card. Should they all have lined up to collect their refund?

- Paul

1. The other problem is that if you load money on your card, it doesn't actually show up for 24 hours. If I buy something online, As soon as I click, the item is being shipped - no 24 hours wait period.

The money shows up on your card far, far sooner than 24 hours. It takes most banks 20 minutes or so to process an online payment, and that transfer back to Presto as approved is almost instantaneous. If you are able to tap onto a device that is connected to a network - a GO station, a subway station - your reload will register at that point. The 24 hour delay is a worst case scenario as the buses at most of the transit agencies are not able to reload the card data until they get back to the garage.

That same applies to online shopping. If you think that your purchase is being processed the instant after you click "okay", you are sorely mistaken.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

2c. I find most functioning adults are able to plan their lives about 24 hours in advance. I don't think that it's reasonable for one to blame their inability to keep their life in order on Presto.

Got a Presto Card so I could hop on GO without having to go to ticket booth. It was free in Hamilton a while ago. I use it a couple of times a year.

Scenario 1: I get an e-mail afternoon that I have to go to Toronto. I put $20 on the card. Its not there for me.
Scenario 2: I put $20 on my card for an impending trip to Toronto. I get an e-mail afternoon telling me that tomorrows meeting is cancelled.

Both cases, the Presto system failed me.

If I use auto top up, can I get the cash returned to me if I move out of Ontario and return the card?

Somethings that stood out when I took the subway on Friday.

1. I'm really liking the new Viva Next Bus signage, give a heads sup whether to dash up those stairs. But I've gotten used to looking up the next bus and bus location when on the subway; I then make my decision on whether to catch a bus at VMC or at Pioneer Village.

2. Lots of salt stains at VMC, looks like the have started addressing the issue.

3. The stains that are forming on the platform level really drive home the point that we should've gone with tiled walls. This way the leaks and stains remain behind the tiles or can easily be removed without much visible remnants. It's only going to get worse. I should also add that there are leaks and stains within the tunnel walls at some points of the extension.

4. The heated bus shelter at Pioneer Village is really good so far in terms of keeping waiting passengers warm. Still more work to be done.

Last edited:
Interesting tidbit from York Region council (by way of Vaughan): Development is going so gangbusters in VMC that SmartCentres wants to break its lease with Walmart and wants YR to ask the Minister for a special zoning order so they can (to make a long story short) demolish their existing HQ closer to the 400, move Walmart there, and then be able to develop the current, centrally located site. Walmart is apparently good with that, despite having a right to their current, long-term lease, and a 30% reduction in floor space at the new location.

For SmartCentres to voluntarily tear down its own headquarters (which is a pretty nice, pretty new building) to accommodate Walmart suggests a pretty high level of confidence in the development of VMC, closer to the subway.

http://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect/...2eb-b98b9e00c46c/feb+8+mcewan.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

The stains that are forming on the platform level really drive home the point that we should've gone with tiled walls. This way the leaks and stains remain behind the tiles or can easily be removed without much visible remnants. It's only going to get worse. I should also add that there are leaks and stains within the tunnel walls at some points of the extension.

I refer you to York Mills which had a leak behind the walls and ended up having all the tiles removed. They were never put back and the wall was left incomplete until recently.

Just because you have tiles does not mean you can hide problems. If I recall correctly York Mills had a rather major leak that caused the tiles to come down.. I think there was flooding there.

I refer you to York Mills which had a leak behind the walls and ended up having all the tiles removed. They were never put back and the wall was left incomplete until recently.

Just because you have tiles does not mean you can hide problems. If I recall correctly York Mills had a rather major leak that caused the tiles to come down.. I think there was flooding there.

Anything would be better than the existing bare concrete. I should've mentioned the enameled panels that were installed as a replacement for the tiles (eg. York Mills).

Interesting tidbit from York Region council (by way of Vaughan): Development is going so gangbusters in VMC that SmartCentres wants to break its lease with Walmart and wants YR to ask the Minister for a special zoning order so they can (to make a long story short) demolish their existing HQ closer to the 400, move Walmart there, and then be able to develop the current, centrally located site. Walmart is apparently good with that, despite having a right to their current, long-term lease, and a 30% reduction in floor space at the new location.

For SmartCentres to voluntarily tear down its own headquarters (which is a pretty nice, pretty new building) to accommodate Walmart suggests a pretty high level of confidence in the development of VMC, closer to the subway.

http://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect/...2eb-b98b9e00c46c/feb+8+mcewan.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Redevelop the living daylights out of it.

Isn't York Mills pretty much under the Don River?
And, as far as I can tell, the only time the subway actually travels under a river. Just saying.

Isn't York Mills pretty much under the Don River?
And, as far as I can tell, the only time the subway actually travels under a river. Just saying.

Yes but other stations like Bloor graze various sources of water leading to water penetration in the stations. A notable example is Union Station and Queens Quay streetcar stations. They are currently below the water table leading to water penetration.

When they were building the stations they noted an unusually high water table in the area of Union Station because of the various extensions of the water front. Right now, the Harbourfront Tunnel was constructed in what was once the lake. As a result you get water penetration.

Those who traveled on the 509 pre-construction can tell you how bad the water penetration was by both the smell and calcium building up. They tiled the stations but the water penetrated to the point where no amount of water proofing could fix things and the tiles looked god awful.

Got a Presto Card so I could hop on GO without having to go to ticket booth. It was free in Hamilton a while ago. I use it a couple of times a year.

Scenario 1: I get an e-mail afternoon that I have to go to Toronto. I put $20 on the card. Its not there for me.
Scenario 2: I put $20 on my card for an impending trip to Toronto. I get an e-mail afternoon telling me that tomorrows meeting is cancelled.

Both cases, the Presto system failed me.

If I use auto top up, can I get the cash returned to me if I move out of Ontario and return the card?

1. If you'd loaded the $20 earlier, it would have been there for you. Also, as long as your balance wasn't below $5.30, you'd still be able to tap on GO, so you REALLY had a very low balance. Why keep a presto card with, like, a $2 balance? Maybe when it drops below $10 you should consider reloading it rather than waiting a couple of years to post on a forum that Presto failed you? The entitlement and lack of personal responsibility out of people these days continues to astonish me. Also, the 24 hour delay is very clearly and widely communicated, and as far as I can remember it always has been. If you indeed travel once or twice a year, then there's absolutely no reason not to have $6 on your card.
2. This literally would have stopped scenario 1 from happening if you'd done it beforehand, and now you're complaining about it? You can't have it both ways. "I want money on my card so that I can travel" and "I don't want money on my card so that I can't travel" - which one is it?

I'm also confused as to how you were taking GO and had no means to reload your presto card, instantaneously, in person. If you were taking the bus, you can reload your presto card with cash on the bus. If you were taking the train, the hamilton GO train stations are staffed in the mornings when trains are running, and Aldershot/Burlington/etc. with all-day service are staffed in the afternoons as well as far as I know, and you could have loaded there. These days many of the ticket vending machines can do Presto loads, but maybe this wasn't the case back when you tried this--moot point as ticket counters and bus drivers have always been there.

So how did the Presto system fail you, exactly? It failed to give you the ability to plan ahead in your life? Give me a break. If you use public transit one or two times a year, and you don't have the wherewithal to keep a mere $5.30 on your card or load such funds a few hours before travel or show up 1-2 minutes early at the station to load that money, then I don't know what to tell you, except that Presto is by far the least of your problems.

And yes, you can get Presto card balances refunded, minus I believe a 4% penalty. I think auto-load can be triggered with as low as a $20 minimum balance below which your card is topped up and a $10 or $20 load amount once that happens, so your card balance would remain under $50 and even be refundable in person, immediately, rather than needing to be done by mail and cheque. This can be done at any staffed GO station during open hours.

We would move our SmartCentres offices into a current vacancy at Millway Avenue and Highway 7, demolish our current office building and the adjacent building and build the tenant a new, much smaller retail store.
This is just an act to get SmartCentres a prime headquarters location across from the subway station /s

Anything would be better than the existing bare concrete. I should've mentioned the enameled panels that were installed as a replacement for the tiles (eg. York Mills).

I was just thinking metal, vinyl (or enamel, as you mentioned) panels with a faux tile pattern could be bolted to the walls. That would much cheaper that actual tiles.

Back