Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I'm off-topic, but is there a single non-400-series provincial roadway left in the 416?
No. The ramp from 427 to 27 doesn't count. The Mimico Creek Bridge about 250m north of 401 already belongs to Toronto.
The only section of Ontario Highway 27 left is the section in Toronto. Outside of Toronto it becomes Regional Road 27.
You mean in terms of name, and not ownership.
This stretch of highway appears to be called hwy. 2A - but it's not provincial. Again, the province owns the ramps from 401, but there is still a good stretch fo road there.
People talked about seeing highway signs in the past. Here is a highway 2 sign still there - even though it has not been highway 2 for over 20 years.

Okay let's get this back on topic.

Why aren't VIVA rapidways being pushed instead of the subway?
Do you mean along Yonge between Highway 7 and Finch? That's been ruled out over a decade ago when the Provincial Government announced potential funding for the subway extension.

If you mean fully connecting the existing parts of the rapidways, such as Highway 7 West between Dufferin and Bowes (Concord GO), Highway 7 East between Yonge and Bayview (Richmond Hill Centre), or Highway 7 East between Birchmount and Kennedy (Markham Centre/Unionville GO), they're just waiting for future development and road expansion. On the other hand, plans for Don Mills/Leslie, Jane, and Major Mackenzie (and Steeles) don't even have curbside service yet, so they can't just start with the Rapidways (unless you're Davis Drive :mad:).

But on the topic of Viva Rapidways as being actually being useful, I think they are but there's just not enough funding for more frequent service or better transfer opportunities between local routes and GO (I'm looking at you Yonge/Major Mack and Unionville GO).

Other than the existing "unfunded plan", do you have suggests for more Viva routes?

Richmond Hill Centre intersects with more higher-order transit lines than Finch Station, and the stretch of Yonge between Finch and John Street can be easily developed in the same way as Yonge south of Finch to Sheppard. It also will connect to a planned downtown in the same way as the University-Spadina branch connects to Vaughan's nascent downtown.

Yonge north of Finch is also completely overwhelmed by buses (both York Region and TTC) right now, so being able to divert some of those buses to subway stations would improve congestion along Yonge and make it more desirable for the scale of development proposed for the area. Toronto wants the subway to extend to Steeles, but if you're extending it that far you might as well bring it up to the planned growth node at Highway 7.

Also if I was to suggest more Viva routes, I think the existing "unfunded plan" is mostly sufficient, except I would maybe add a route along McCowan from Major Mackenzie to Highway 7, with the potential to extend it southwards to Steeles or even Scarborough Centre.

There used to be signs on Hurontario saying it was Hwy 10
And Yonge was signed as Highway 11, and Dundas was signed as Highway 5....
Kingston Rd was signed as Highway 2 as well.

Apparently nobody gets it. Hope this helps:

TenRestaurant.png
:

Because RHC is a natural hub for Viva, and rather than having a rapidway in the middle of Yonge between Finch and Highway 7, it makes more sense to have RHC be a common feeding terminal where the 3 major viva rapidway routes feed into a subway.

HT @Haydenpoon. In the Closed Season for the September meeting.

View attachment 267842
Coincidentally enough, I also asked when the IBC was to be released. Here's what they had to say.

"Thank you for reaching out to us. The Yonge North Subway Extension (YNSE) IBC is currently in the development process, and we expect it to be released later this calendar (2020) year. Unfortunately I cannot confirm the specific month or day at this moment, as there are several factors at play."

Coincidentally enough, I also asked when the IBC was to be released. Here's what they had to say.

"Thank you for reaching out to us. The Yonge North Subway Extension (YNSE) IBC is currently in the development process, and we expect it to be released later this calendar (2020) year. Unfortunately I cannot confirm the specific month or day at this moment, as there are several factors at play."

Here is an old IBC from 2009 for reference. http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...ts_Case-Yonge_North_Subway_Extension_2009.pdf

I am sure it will be released by thanksgiving or soon after that. Ford will give a speech in Markham to celebrate (nothing wrong in doing so)

Back