Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Even better for the future of Dundas is to demolish the box buildings behind parking space and build midrises that start from the sidewalk. They can put the parking behind and out of sight.
I'd be even more ambitious, and look to creating high-rise neighbourhoods throughout the Dundas corridor (maybe stepped back from street-facing midrises as you said), with the highest densities centered around Dixie GO.

Especially with a BRT/LRT on Dundas, much higher population densities can be accommodated.

All of this makes me wish that we extended the subway to Sherway Gardens back in the day. It would be a simple extension that used the existing rail corridor.

And then if we wanted to extend the subway more, a Mississauga extension would be feasible since the distance would only be 8 km, similar to the Vaughan extension

I think an extension of Line 2 west to Sherway is still feasible, just not a priority.

The Village of Dixie was located at Dixie Road and Dundas Street. There used to be a market that was open on Sundays, which got it into trouble. Too bad it got amalgamated into Mississauga and lost its existence in the process of being changed into sprawl.

It was never more than an unincorporated hamlet, similar to Thistletown or Lansing.

For the past week I've been driving on the 427 south to the Gardiner into downtown. I pass dundas all the time and from looking at it, the density is there to justify an extension(in my opinion)past there to highway 10. But as many have said, every line has somewhat of a limit, and I think highway 10 should be the limit for line 2 west. After that if it's justified, continue it with an lrt going west on dundas into the city.

Another suggestion is start an lrt at Kipling and go west on dundas.

Let me know what you think.
That section of Highway 10 was downloaded in 1997-1998 by the same guy who thought filling in an already under construction subway line, amalgamating Metro Toronto was good idea at the time and so so so much more.

Last edited:
That section of Highway 10 was downloaded in 1997-1998 by the same guy who thought filling in an already under construction subway line, amalgamating Metro Toronto was good idea at the time and so so so much more.

It wasn't downloaded, it's connecting link status was repealed and it made perfect sense.
Also, Metro Toronto was basically one city that grew organically from downtown and wasn't even Toronto's whole metropolitan area. Again, made sense.

CaskoChan said:
Haha yeah, I'm from Caledon, I have always known it as highway 10.

Nice try: Mississauga locals also say they have always known it as Highway 10 as well despite the fact most of it has been an old-school arterial street since long before many of them were born.

It wasn't downloaded, it's connecting link status was repealed and it made perfect sense.
Also, Metro Toronto was basically one city that grew organically from downtown and wasn't even Toronto's whole metropolitan area. Again, made sense.

Nice try: Mississauga locals also say they have always known it as Highway 10 as well despite the fact most of it has been an old-school arterial street since long before many of them were born.
My grandma (born in 1909) always called Highway 10 Centre Road. Roads parallel to it were all 1st Line, 2nd Line, etc.

My grandma (born in 1909) always called Highway 10 Centre Road. Roads parallel to it were all 1st Line, 2nd Line, etc.

Except Highway 10 was 1st Line in these parts:

1595882534477.png

And the Centre Rd. name is going back a long ways:

1595885079731.png

https://transit.toronto.on.ca/photos/images/mt-arrow-bus-lines-schedule-19570601.jpg

And Mississauga's main street is still called Centre Road up in Mulmer Township:

Centre_Rd_(Hurontario_St)_Mulmur_Ontario.jpg

But to get my main point of why even locals still call it Highway 10 even in the city, without even realizing how bizarre it is:

Stumbled across this the other day:

1595897536147.png

1595897342193.png

Link

I wonder which two subway lines they're referring to?

Regardless- preliminary work seems to be underway even though public life is still frozen.

Back