Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

If line 2 does get extended, I don't think it'll be any time soon. There are so many other higher priority projects, not to mention that brand new bus terminal they just built at Kipling.
It would be unfortunate if an extension to Sherway Gardens isn't considered. It's relatively cheap as far as subway extensions go, and the whole area around Sherway is slated for significant development on the horizon too.

When we look at extensions of existing lines, we really need to look at where it makes sense, not from a downtown/end to end, but from a ridership between stations.

Extending Yonge to at least the planned terminus does make sense. The ones saying to go to Newmarket are being a little silly. It would be no sillier to suggest going to Oshawa and Hamilton with Line 2.

When we look at extensions of existing lines, we really need to look at where it makes sense, not from a downtown/end to end, but from a ridership between stations.

Extending Yonge to at least the planned terminus does make sense. The ones saying to go to Newmarket are being a little silly. It would be no sillier to suggest going to Oshawa and Hamilton with Line 2.

The Richmond Hill GO Train currently operates only during weekday peak hours (morning trains southbound, afternoon trains northbound). If they could get this GO train to operate full time, get flood mitigation, and better operation tracks, we wouldn't need to extend the Yonge arm of Line 1 any further, as long as proper transfer facilities are included at Richmond Hill between GO and the TTC.

From link.
richmondhill-map.jpg

The Richmond Hill GO Train currently operates only during weekday peak hours (morning trains southbound, afternoon trains northbound). If they could get this GO train to operate full time, get flood mitigation, and better operation tracks, we wouldn't need to extend the Yonge arm of Line 1 any further, as long as proper transfer facilities are included at Richmond Hill between GO and the TTC.

From link.
richmondhill-map.jpg

That is a big if.
I could see the Yonge section stop at RH and no further. After that, there are other lines to be done, such as the Ontario Line, the extension of Line 2 to STC, and maybe, and E/W extension of Line 4 as a subway.

Elgin Mills is about as far as much density exists. Beyond that, there are gaps. RHC to Elgin Mills is only 6km. That can easily be done with buses. Realistically, converting VIVA Blue to an LRT makes more sense, but that is still likely 20-50 years away. RHC does make a good transit hub spot. Having the switch to another mode there, makes some sense.

West Mall, Sherway... and potentially Dixie GO are the end of the line for Line 2 forever I believe. Any further and it's simply feeding the "we get subways too" mentality instead of actually placing the highest of higher-order transit where it makes sense.
Most cost effective is probably a Queensway LRT extension all the way to Hurontario, with a spur down Brown's Line to Long Branch, with a Line 2 terminus at Sherway, and a new western streetcar barn built into the western subway yard complex at Obico. You could run the subway to Sherway via the Obico yard, similar to Line 1 running through Wilson Yard en route to stations north.

Then after that happens, extending Line 2 to at least Square One would make sense.
What are you drink or smoking, as there isn't enough ridership to do it.

30,000 riders use Kipling and Islington a day for all routes.

10, 000 divided by 800 gives you 13 trains a day each way. Headway based on 20 hours would be 92.3 minutes compare to the current 10-20 minute bus service.

The best thing in the long run to take Line 2 along Dundas to Hurontario the will require 90% of the building alone it to be torn down and replace with Mid rise and tall towers. Not going to happen in anyone life time now.

First phase would be Dixie and take decades to build density for the corridor.

The best thing in the long run to take Line 2 along Dundas to Hurontario the will require 90% of the building alone it to be torn down and replace with Mid rise and tall towers. Not going to happen in anyone life time now.

Mostly parking lots along Dundas Street in Mississauga. Most of the buildings are single story, so even those could get one or two stories put on top of them.

Mostly parking lots along Dundas Street in Mississauga. Most of the buildings are single story, so even those could get one or two stories put on top of them.
Still not enough density to support a subway, let alone an LRT. East of Dixie is a blight and that whole area needs to be raze. Can put in a few 100,000's residents easy for the rebuilt area. You need 250+ per HA to support a subway.

Still not enough density to support a subway, let alone an LRT. East of Dixie is a blight and that whole area needs to be raze. Can put in a few 100,000's residents easy for the rebuilt area. You need 250+ per HA to support a subway.

The Village of Dixie was located at Dixie Road and Dundas Street. There used to be a market that was open on Sundays, which got it into trouble. Too bad it got amalgamated into Mississauga and lost its existence in the process of being changed into sprawl.

Most cost effective is probably a Queensway LRT extension all the way to Hurontario, with a spur down Brown's Line to Long Branch, with a Line 2 terminus at Sherway, and a new western streetcar barn built into the western subway yard complex at Obico. You could run the subway to Sherway via the Obico yard, similar to Line 1 running through Wilson Yard en route to stations north.
I think the Obico purchase makes a Line 2 westward extension slightly more likely in the next 20 years.

10, 000 divided by 800 gives you 13 trains a day each way. Headway based on 20 hours would be 92.3 minutes compare to the current 10-20 minute bus service.

800 passengers per train? What is the 10,000 referring to?

800 passengers per train? What is the 10,000 referring to?
Number of riders a day using the system from Sq One using the TR train since it will replace the TI by then or what every being use on Line 2 then. The TR is supposed to handle 1000 riders per train.

The ridership from the Sq One area is not that high going to Toronto. You need 25,000 riders daily.

Then one must understand that you need space on the Sq One trains to service the current and future ridership of Toronto. If you use 2 minute headway, that 30 trains an hour over 20 hours, that 600 trips. 600 trips equals about 15 riders per train. If you go to 6 minutes headway, that 100 trips with 100 riders

Any option for this extension will be a tap running wild and worst than line 4 by miles.

What are you drink or smoking, as there isn't enough ridership to do it.

30,000 riders use Kipling and Islington a day for all routes.

For the past week I've been driving on the 427 south to the Gardiner into downtown. I pass dundas all the time and from looking at it, the density is there to justify an extension(in my opinion)past there to highway 10. But as many have said, every line has somewhat of a limit, and I think highway 10 should be the limit for line 2 west. After that if it's justified, continue it with an lrt going west on dundas into the city.

Another suggestion is start an lrt at Kipling and go west on dundas.

Let me know what you think.

For the past week I've been driving on the 427 south to the Gardiner into downtown. I pass dundas all the time and from looking at it, the density is there to justify an extension(in my opinion)past there to highway 10. But as many have said, every line has somewhat of a limit, and I think highway 10 should be the limit for line 2 west. After that if it's justified, continue it with an lrt going west on dundas into the city.

Another suggestion is start an lrt at Kipling and go west on dundas.

Let me know what you think.
You are still looking at Toronto at Dundas going down 427. The X ward councilor has said that everything west if 427 should have become part of Mississauga since Mississauga could do a better job supporting the area than Toronto. To understand Dundas in Mississauga, one must drive and use the transit to see it in real time. It also why Line 2 needs to be extended to Cloverdale.

During the Hurontario EA, running an LRT along Dundas was looked at, but kill by Hydro One as they didn't want an LRT under their system. During the Master Planning of Dundas, LRT was looked at, but only could service Dundas up to Mavis Rd and require a transfer to go west. Since Dundas was more of a Metrolinx thing and paying for it since they wanted one system from Kipling to Burlington, an BRT will be built with its own ROW to about Mavis and then an Express bus to Burlington. At this time, Halton can't justify an Express Bus on Dundas considering how long it been on the books. The EA is to start this year for for Mississauga.

You are far better having a Tram-Train on the Milton Line that comes off before Hurontario St and connects with the Hurontario LRT to Sq One. Until CP allow EMU in its corridor, you need a battery system tram-train which is out there. The tram-train would run on battery on the CP Line and use pan at both ends. Until Metrolinx start installing the electrification of its system, it on hold and would require an EA for the connection to Hurontario LRT.

Even better for the future of Dundas is to demolish the box buildings behind parking space and build midrises that start from the sidewalk. They can put the parking behind and out of sight.

Back