Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I hope they do build it above ground. This project above Steeles is a waste of money. Who is going to commute from Markham to the subway then all the way downtown? Just makes 0 sense. If this will save money, by all means go for it.

I hope they do build it above ground. This project above Steeles is a waste of money. Who is going to commute from Markham to the subway then all the way downtown? Just makes 0 sense. If this will save money, by all means go for it.
There is BRT north, east, and west of the Hwy7 terminal. Hopefully the subway can motivate people to use them. Though downtown riders, as always, will be using GO trains.

A lot of people do that, including myself. There are multiple express bus routes from Markham to Finch subway station currently(pre-COVID) via hwy 407. Not everyone works near Union station, but Dundas, College, Bloor, and more to the north. For people who live closer to an express route than a GO station, the express buses save time by not having to fight parking at GO train station, and it's cheaper.

Credit: @Transportfan

Most of Yonge Street's purported length is actually the sections of Highway 11 that never bore the name Yonge Street.

Steeles Avenue is longer.

Thank you!

I'm amazed so many people think Mike Harris was responsible for killing the longest-street record by downloading Hwy. 11 south of Barrie. If Yonge did run all the way to Rainy River before then, it still would as downloading the highway wouldn't remove the street name the rest of the way.

There is BRT north, east, and west of the Hwy7 terminal. Hopefully the subway can motivate people to use them. Though downtown riders, as always, will be using GO trains.

And this is the key point to me. 7 is a natural hub, and there really aren't any other places with anything near the connectivity it offers. If we're building suburban subways this project is as good as they come, and frankly it can hold it's own in absolute terms, which is a lot more than can be said about some other things we're going ahead with.

Last edited:
And this is the key point to me. 7 is a natural hub, and there really aren't any other places that anything near the connectivity it offers. If we'ere building suburban subways this project is as good as they come, and frankly it can hold it's own in absolute terms, which is a lot more than can be said about some other things we're going ahead with.
I wish they fixed highway 7 more. Extending viva orange to highway 50 even now before the brt lanes extend to there makes a huge difference than dumping riders on Martin grove in the middle of nowhere basically and having to wait for the zum or the terrible route 77 to do it for them. But at least they have the priority done for the University side of line 1 for now. For the east end, have viva purple go all the way through 7 to the future Cornell terminal, extend the brt lanes from town Centre Blvd to the terminal, and let another viva color do the enterprise route and that will make a bigger priority for the Yonge line

From the backgrounder of the Building Transit Faster Act,
Yonge North Subway Extension with five stations. The 7.4 km extension of TTC's Line 1 (Yonge-University) will connect north from Finch Station to Highway 7. The line will pass through the City of Toronto into York Region, passing along the boundary of Markham and Vaughan into Richmond Hill.
Does it mean that Royal Orchard station is officially removed from the plan?

From the backgrounder of the Building Transit Faster Act,

Does it mean that Royal Orchard station is officially removed from the plan?

Might be, but I think the smarter cut would be Langstaff Station, since it quite literally serves the same purpose that the Richmond Hill Centre station would accomplish.

Might be, but I think the smarter cut would be Langstaff Station, since it quite literally serves the same purpose that the Richmond Hill Centre station would accomplish.
Langstaff station will serve the area south of Hwy 407, north of the cemetery where development will concentrate.

Langstaff station will serve the area south of Hwy 407, north of the cemetery where development will concentrate.

Ok that in turn makes Royal Orchard useless I guess. I think its important to note though that as outlined by The Star, Metrolinx is proposing to align the extension through the CN rail corridor, meaning that Langstaff will be near impossible to serve.

Metrolinx monkeying around with trick alignments and above ground suggests they have done the math on this extension (and the others planned) and they can't afford it, at least within the announced funding envelope.

Ok that in turn makes Royal Orchard useless I guess. I think its important to note though that as outlined by The Star, Metrolinx is proposing to align the extension through the CN rail corridor, meaning that Langstaff will be near impossible to serve.
The Langstaff development area is anything east of Yonge, all the way to Bayview, which includes the CN tracks.

Metrolinx monkeying around with trick alignments and above ground suggests they have done the math on this extension (and the others planned) and they can't afford it, at least within the announced funding envelope.
From what I remember of that area, they probably have a big enough right of way to go above ground from just north of Steeles on Yonge. I believe that above ground is cheaper than subterranean so if they can withstand the NIMBY they could save more money that way.

There are two main density nodes - one in the centre (basically over the CN tracks) and, yes, a smaller dense node at Yonge. But the other significant thing about the Langstaff station is that they were going to put a big commuter parking lot under the hydro corridor. It would be the only new parking for the extension and, in theory, divert cars now going down to Finch.

Back