Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

In this thread before it was suggested that it could eventually be extended to Elgin Mills, significantly reducing the length of the Yonge Viva route.

In this thread before it was suggested that it could eventually be extended to Elgin Mills, significantly reducing the length of the Yonge Viva route.
Elgin Mills? A potential extension of the extension should really only go to Major Mackenzie in terms of development potential along the corridor. I guess a further extension to Elgin Mills does make sense if you consider that Viva Blue runs in mixed traffic between Major Mackenzie and just south of Elgin Mills, however that really shouldn't be an high priority.

Bear in mind that ignoring the capacity issues to the south, the Hwy 7 extension makes a LOT of sense from a network perspective - as hubs go Richmond Hill Centre is damn good, with the Subway, 407, RH GO, hwy 7 and Viva meeting in a fairly TOD friendly location. Going further north reintroduces exactly the kind of linear transfers that people hate, and adds a transfer between Viva on Yonge and Viva on Hwy 7.

Now, to go full railfan with a crayon... I am rather a fan of the idea of the DRL moving over to the rail corridor north of Lawrence, for precisely that ability to support RHC as a node. Were this done with RER trains I could see a VERY good case for extending this line until it meet the Barrie corridor (I'm imagining north along Bayvie to Bloomington then northwest), creating a straighter north/south regional rail corridor in northern York (I imagine the DRL service would likely not go north of Newmarket, with Barrie still going through Vaughan, but this could interact with more express services in a few ways, especially if VIA HFR follows the expected route.

Bear in mind that ignoring the capacity issues to the south, the Hwy 7 extension makes a LOT of sense from a network perspective - as hubs go Richmond Hill Centre is damn good, with the Subway, 407, RH GO, hwy 7 and Viva meeting in a fairly TOD friendly location. Going further north reintroduces exactly the kind of linear transfers that people hate, and adds a transfer between Viva on Yonge and Viva on Hwy 7.
If you were addressing my post above, then just to be clear I was referring to the Yonge corridor between Hwy-7 and Elgin Mills.

Hwy-7 for all the reasons stated is exactly the spot where the line should terminate.

Don't suppose they could reintroduce the belt line idea and have it be extended west on Highway 7 and conncet with Vaughn metro station.

I'd prefer a solid BRT route over an elongated subway line whose reliability is dependent on no delays occurring on the rest of the line.

It could be a light rail line up Yonge, starting at Hwy 7 and going north. Tunnels could be built in sections where street widening is impossible (Aurora?).

Just to be clear: York Region would be on the hook, not the Town of Richmond Hill (which. FWIW, on a per-metre basis will have FAR less subway in it than Toronto, Markham or Vaughan).
Richmond Hill incorporated as a city just a few months ago.

It could be a light rail line up Yonge, starting at Hwy 7 and going north. Tunnels could be built in sections where street widening is impossible (Aurora?).

It could, eventually... But the Morraine pretty well stops intensive development on a big chunk, and a sensible service patterns demands whatever goes north of 7 continue to Newmarket. A Richmond Hill tunnel will be justified long before converting to rail, and I fully expect Hwy 7 light rail to make sense before Yonge does assuming we have RER on the Barrie line.

This thread does tend to circle around on itself every few months but to sum up on the past few posts:
-Highway 7, for all the reasons stated above, is very much the natural terminus of the subway extension.
-There is LOTS of development going on north of 7, up to Major Mac. In the distant future, when all sorts of other other stuff is built, in a world where we're going, "What it the furthest possible extension that could make sense?" I would fully endorse going up to Major Mac. North of there is the historic core and then Elgin Mills and the natural break of the Oak Ridges Moraine. Therefore it will NEVER make sense to go north of Major Mac, even if money is falling from the sky. I would make a similar argument for the Spadina line, where there will be a decent density node and a hospital, as well as the mall and Wonderland. Eventually. One day.
-Yes, Scheer's promise is nice but meaningless.
-And, yeah, I know RH is now a City. It's force of habit to call it "Town" for a bit longer but my point about jurisdiction, and how many people don't get it, still stands.

VIVA was supposed to have aspirations to move from BRT to LRT if and when the need served. Given that I support the idea that RHC would be the terminus for the Yonge side of Line 1 for a significant amount of time. If and only if VIVA blue has gone to LRT and is still over crowded only then would I consider extending the subway past hwy 7.

Viva wont be upgraded to LRT in our lifetimes. With 15-20 min service today on Orange and Purple, there is little ridership to justify it. It's more likely we get an LRT on Steeles than we upgrade the Highway 7 BRT.

Back