Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I suspect the timing, in relation to Ford's recent transit announcements, is coincidental, but interesting to note the first development proposal for Langstaff Gateway is before Markham council later this month. 47 and storey towers with 27 townhomes built into the base. Ambitious start.

That's no surprise. Condrain has been on site doing land clearing and sewage / stormwater infrastructure for a while now.

Honestly I'm amazed it's taken this long.. The master plan for the area is what, 10 years old? There is a somewhat large amount of "pre-subway" density allocated as well.. the whole thing isn't predicated on the subway getting built.

All true -the remediation of the creek was a pre-requisite for any development and pre-subway units were allocated.
Still, it's been a blank slate and a "vision" on paper only until now. It'll be interested to see how the units are marketed too.

I saw the crews at Yonge - Steeles the other day. Will try to grab a photo next time I'm in the area.

Read the last few posts together, to get the full effect!

Sure,there's been a complete EA for a decade and they're doing station design and engineering work and crews are nearly finished geotech. Let's hit pause a moment, collect our thoughts, and see if there might just be a better, faster and faster way to do this! Let's not rush into things!

Here's what I don't get.

Clearly, as with the Wynne regime before; and others before that, this is essentially a delay tactic. Its a move to push the big spending out beyond this year or next etc.

Got it.

But, why not just chunk the lines; in the case of the Ontario Line, because its new, there's a minimum size to be of any utility (let's say what was was proposed Line 1 to Line 2).

But in the case of Scarborough, you can functionally extend the line one station at a time, and do so with a time frame of 4- years to Eglinton/Brimley, then 2 years for each subsequent station, so you phase the bill over 10 years to get to Sheppard, if that's the goal; and you can open 2 stations per political term, like clockwork, showing constant progress.

Likewise, there is actually an immediate advantage to taking Yonge north to Steeles, the opportunity to split the turn-backs would improve operations, plus additional in-line storage of trains and additional cross overs.

So just go to Steeles for now, and when you get there, keeping building the rest; by the time you get to RHC the Ontario Line/RL will be open.

This is just about amortizing costs correctly; and there's a failure to recognize the virtue in showing progress (even if its less progress); at a lower price point.

Here's what I don't get.

Clearly, as with the Wynne regime before; and others before that, this is essentially a delay tactic. Its a move to push the big spending out beyond this year or next etc.

Got it.

But, why not just chunk the lines; in the case of the Ontario Line, because its new, there's a minimum size to be of any utility (let's say what was was proposed Line 1 to Line 2).

But in the case of Scarborough, you can functionally extend the line one station at a time, and do so with a time frame of 4- years to Eglinton/Brimley, then 2 years for each subsequent station, so you phase the bill over 10 years to get to Sheppard, if that's the goal; and you can open 2 stations per political term, like clockwork, showing constant progress.

Likewise, there is actually an immediate advantage to taking Yonge north to Steeles, the opportunity to split the turn-backs would improve operations, plus additional in-line storage of trains and additional cross overs.

So just go to Steeles for now, and when you get there, keeping building the rest; by the time you get to RHC the Ontario Line/RL will be open.

This is just about amortizing costs correctly; and there's a failure to recognize the virtue in showing progress (even if its less progress); at a lower price point.
This makes complete sense, which is why it will never get done.

It's only a trick by the Ford Government to delay everything. Now It's complete. They delayed the Eglinton West LRT, Relief/Ontario Line, Scarborough subway extension, Sheppard subway extension, and suspended any other line that could've been built by now. It's transit city all over again.

Makes me think that’s no progress will he made on any of these projects. They don’t want to explicitly cancel them and get the wrath of the ‘People’ nor do they want to spend the money on public transit. This is the best approach their advisers have given them. Stall stall stall. Then pitch it again in 2022 for their reelection.

Makes me think that’s no progress will he made on any of these projects. They don’t want to explicitly cancel them and get the wrath of the ‘People’ nor do they want to spend the money on public transit. This is the best approach their advisers have given them. Stall stall stall. Then pitch it again in 2022 for their reelection.
Maybe we should sign a petition not to vote for PC in the next election should no construction happen before that.

How do you cancel something without cancelling it? stall until it becomes irrelevant. Ford had no intentions of ever doing any new transit projects. He learned from Harris not to outright cancel one already started, but he will not start something.

Besides, he knows he is gone next election.

Agreed but I doubt he will he gone next election. The NDP won’t win and the Liberals are in shambles. He may win again next time around as our memories are short and many many people love the PC party and will vote for them. If a recession hits under his watch, then watch out as no party is safe.

Maybe we should sign a petition not to vote for PC in the next election should no construction happen before that.
Petitions are meaningless these days. The only thing that works is broad and loud protests and large campaigns to scare politicians of their reelection chances. Right now Ford is sitting pretty as he had 3 years to fix his honeymoon mistakes.

Back