Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Is the Montreal Metro a subway or a metro? "Subway" to most of the world is a pedestrian path underneath infrastructure.
It all depends on context. Do we really need to have this discussion for the 17th time?

To many in Montreal, and especially in Westmount, a Metro is a grocery store!

upload_2018-8-23_16-30-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-23_16-30-40.png
    upload_2018-8-23_16-30-40.png
    544.3 KB · Views: 821
With what signalling?

For the record, in the Toronto context, traditionally a subway is a roadway underpass underneath a railway.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
And to this day, the "King Street Subway" is exactly that.
King Street West Railway Subway (Underpass) 1888
King_Street_West_Railway_Plaque.jpg

Photos by Alan L Brown - Posted August, 2007

King_Street_West_Railway.jpg

http://torontoplaques.com/Pages/King_Street_West_Railway.html

What is clear is that Ford, when challenged on "Subways, subways, subways" has no idea beyond what the TTC is now running as "subways".

No matter what they are called, he hates 'streetcars, LRTs, cyclists, and electric cars'...but he loves "subways". If anyone has a quote of him stating that he favours any kind of steel-wheeled transit other than (the TTC type) "subway"...please post. Give me a sign Lord!

He has begrudgingly acknowledged the need for Metrolinx...

Last edited:
It all depends on context. Do we really need to have this discussion for the 17th time?

To many in Montreal, and especially in Westmount, a Metro is a grocery store!

View attachment 154454

Coincidentally by looking at that map, Metro Cote-des-Neiges seems to correspond with the same location as the metro (subway station) Cote-des-Neiges.

Chipping in my two cents on this important, new and totally-on-thread debate: a sandwich can definitely be a subway IF it's from Subway. Even a wrap from Subway counts as a subway though the same wrap, if purchased from Mr. Sub, is not a subway. Hot dogs may be sandwiches, but either way they are definitely not subways.

(A breakfast sandwich from Subway? That's an LRT. Obviously. But a BLT from Subway isn't.)

Last edited:
"Subway and Metro" mean very different things in different places. There is no absolute definition.

Does Edmonton call their 'LRT in tunnel' a "subway"?

Is the Montreal Metro a subway or a metro? "Subway" to most of the world is a pedestrian path underneath infrastructure.
Do Buffalonians call the underground section of the MetroRail a "subway?"

What is the MARTA really? A subway? A metro? Simply rapid transit?

What about the BART?

Chipping in my two cents on this important, new and totally-on-thread debate: a sandwich can definitely be a subway IF it's from Subway. Even a wrap from Subway counts as a subway though the same wrap, if purchased from Mr. Sub, is not a subway. Hot dogs may be sandwiches, but either way they are definitely not subways.

(A breakfast sandwich from Subway? That's an LRT. Obviously. But a BLT from Subway isn't.)
Subway (restaurant) is famous for its BMT sandwiches (and yes, it's named after Brooklyn Manhattan Transit).

Please stop.

Now that the "what IS a subway, really?" debate has petered out again, for now, just came across this actual, on-topic news from earlier in the summer; station design contracts awarded:

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co.../13_Yonge_Subway_Extension_Station_Design.pdf

...and the tunnel contract went out in June:
http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...s/20_Yonge_Subway_Extension_Tunnel_Design.pdf

But at least all the money is coming from Metrolinx and York Region.

There is something amusing about the most advanced TTC project being in neither Tory nor Keesmaat's plan, but that's Toronto fer ya.

Is YNSE further along than RLS?

Well, it's had a complete EA (TPAP) since 2009 and they're designing the tunnels and stations. (Indeed, IIRC, the YNSE was the first project to use the TPAP process for its EA.)

The Relief Line (south) TPAP is out for review now, so it's catching up in that regard but YNSE has more advanced design.
Funding-wise, I guess they're effectively in the same place, essentially since (wisely, I think) they've been kind of paired as a package deal.

Well, it's had a complete EA (TPAP) since 2009 and they're designing the tunnels and stations. (Indeed, IIRC, the YNSE was the first project to use the TPAP process for its EA.)

The Relief Line (south) TPAP is out for review now, so it's catching up in that regard but YNSE has more advanced design.
Funding-wise, I guess they're effectively in the same place, essentially since (wisely, I think) they've been kind of paired as a package deal.
Have they said anything of if the 2009 EA was used, referenced, or redone?

Have they said anything of if the 2009 EA was used, referenced, or redone?

The contracts and design are clearly proceeding from the completed TPAP. The station locations, for example, are in the TPAP.
Perhaps the project will reach a design stage where they feel they need to update it, in part or entirely, but I haven't seen any indications of that so far and so far it's all on a single, long track.

Well once YNSE is done Yonge will have pretty much reached its final state good to turn to the numerous other subway lines in Toronto that need building/extending

While I agree with you, there are some York Region planning docs that already show "potential subway extensions" north from the NYSE, and even some that show a completed loop to turn line 1 into a circular belt line. Nothing concrete however, for now.

Back