Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I don't think we should be using the term "Metropolitan" for either RH or Vaughan considering neither are Metropolitan Areas or have ever been referred to as such. It just screams of Cities trying to use terms improperly to make themselves feel good. The use of the word Metropolitan in VMC will always be stupid and only happened because Vaughan thought simply being referred to as "Vaughan Centre" was not good enough for them. The real "Metropolitan Centre" up there is actually in Newmarket since that is where the seat of Regional Council is.

Thats a bit much

"A metropolitan area, sometimes referred to as a metro area or commuter belt, is a region consisting of a densely populated urban core and its less-populated surrounding territories, sharing industry, infrastructure, and housing. "

A metropolitan Centre its exactly in line with what they are aiming to grow into. Good vision, It will be a great place.

This is no different than how Vaughan City Hall is located up at Major Mac/Keele, near the Maple GO station, nowhere near the Vaughan Metropolitan Center station.

It's just a quirk of being suburbs patched together from multiple old settlements and now trying to create urban centres, which is the opposite of cities typically grow. (It's also a reminder to people in 416 who are concerned about a subway going WAY out to Richmond Hill, that's really only barely making its way into Richmond Hill.)

It's all a bit counter-intuitive but I don't know that it's really confusing. Are there people who've gotten off the subway at VMC, frustrated they couldn't find City Hall? Perhaps but I doubt it's common. It might make sense to rename the GO stations to something like RH Centre and Old RH but I generally - and this is hard to admit - think oust human beings are smart enough to handle these discrepancies. Just like I know I can get to Yorkville from Bloor Station or figure out when I want to get off at Queen and when Osgoode makes more sense, and how weird it is both Dundas and Queen access the Eaton Centre - even though neither is called "Eaton Centre," and so on.

The concern is wayfinding for riders not familiar with the area. A City Hall not being near the ".. Centre" station is not a problem; people who need to reach the City Hall will get the address first. After all, Toronto City Hall isn't near the Union station either.

But when we have two connecting transit lines, it is confusing to have the "Richmond Hill" station of one line connected to "Langstaff" station of the other line, while the "Richmond Hill" station of the second line exists nearby. Even if there will be a small number of transfers between the subway and the GO line, surely someone will board a bus connecting to the RH subway station instead of the RH GO station, or vice versa.

It might even be OK for the connected stations to have different names, but at least the two stations that aren't connected should not have same (or very similar) names.

It's just a quirk of being suburbs patched together from multiple old settlements and now trying to create urban centres, which is the opposite of cities typically grow.

It also shows how bizarre the Yonge/Hwy. 7 intersection is with respect to location and importance. It's the crossroads of southern York Region, but is peripheral to the three municipalities that surround it..

It also shows how bizarre the Yonge/Hwy. 7 intersection is with respect to location and importance. It's the crossroads of southern York Region, but is peripheral to the three municipalities that surround it..
That's why it is bad, in my opinion, that the intersection was built as a grade separated highway when Highway 407 was already planned. I've suggested this before, but converting the intersection back to at-grade and relocating Highway 407 a bit south to next to the cemetery, to have a proper intersection and corridor for intensification.
RHC_Plan (2).png

gotransit-2303-02.jpg

Take note of the year this photo was taken. Are we seriously crying in our milk over something that's been settled for over the past 14 years?

Who cares that the adjacent GO station is named "Langstaff" and further north there's a "Richmond Hill" GO in the grand scheme of things? Rename those if necessary, but that should have nothing to do with the potential subway project; they're separate transit systems. First world problems! Lol.

^^ That's fine if you use transit in this area, but for those who don't, RHC is deceptive. I don't think RH/Langstaff GO stations need to be renamed, I was just referring to the article not clarifying the location for non-transit user readers.

This ends up becoming a philosophical debate. Yes, it's potentially confusing but I don't think it's that big a deal. I mean, at the risk of sounding elitist, most people have smartphones and access to Google and such. I've negotiated around cities like London (and in the days before iPhones) without encountering these problems. New York City has multiple stations at 42nd Street, 34th Street and other prominent intersections and while I'm sure many people who aren't familiar with the system get on the wrong train or end up at the wrong station, I doubt it's statistically significant. It will be even less so here, given the simplicity of our system.

RHC is going to be the subway station they'll have to decide whether to rename Langstaff GO; I think they should, since the entire point is to integrate the mobility hub and it's dumb having the same station with 2 names (e.g. imagine if Union Station was the subway station but the GO station in the same facility was called "Downtown Toronto" or something). Then they can rename the other GO to North RH or Old RH or whatever. Not a big deal.

This is true too. It's a fascinating bit of weirdness that this prominent intersection was (for those who don't know) a Toronto-owned jail farm until the 1980s. Between that and the 407 ROW (part of the Parkway Belt West plan), it really got left out of the natural pattern of development. Then you have the fact that Thornhill, despite being on Yonge, is kind of the back end of both Vaughan and Markham, which generally look westward and eastward, respectively.

The grade separation is kind of unfortunate but I doubt it's reversible; if for no other reason than because of the CN rail tracks. That said, I think RH and Markham have come up with interesting plans for urbanizing the area and working around those barriers. Just have to give it time.

Last edited:
This is true too. It's a fascinating bit of weirdness that this prominent intersection was (for those who don't know) a Toronto-owned jail farm until the 1980s. Between that and the 407 ROW (part of the Parkway Belt West plan), it really got left out of the natural pattern of development. .

Ironically, Yonge itself is the reason the intersection is the way it is. Yonge was the earliest corridor to urbanize because it was the central axis, so there was no room closer to Steeles to run the Parkway Belt/Hwy. 407 through, though CN found room for its York sub.

Then you have the fact that Thornhill, despite being on Yonge, is kind of the back end of both Vaughan and Markham, which generally look westward and eastward, respectively

Even Markham's historic downtown somewhat feels like an outpost.

Last edited:
This is true too. It's a fascinating bit of weirdness that this prominent intersection was (for those who don't know) a Toronto-owned jail farm until the 1980s. Between that and the 407 ROW (part of the Parkway Belt West plan), it really got left out of the natural pattern of development. Then you have the fact that Thornhill, despite being on Yonge, is kind of the back end of both Vaughan and Markham, which generally look westward and eastward, respectively.

The grade separation is kind of unfortunate but I doubt it's reversible; if for no other reason than because of the CN rail tracks. That said, I think RH and Markham have come up with interesting plans for urbanizing the area and working around those barriers. Just have to give it time.

Langstaff shows as a village/post office on York County maps back to the 1870s.

gotransit-2303-02.jpg

Take note of the year this photo was taken. Are we seriously crying in our milk over something that's been settled for over the past 14 years?

Who cares that the adjacent GO station is named "Langstaff" and further north there's a "Richmond Hill" GO in the grand scheme of things? Rename those if necessary, but that should have nothing to do with the potential subway project; they're separate transit systems. First world problems! Lol.

Please name me one other GO station that has another station/stop near it in which th 2 names are not the same?

Let say, someone not from the area, and not even from the GTHA were to go to Richmond Hill on a GO train. Where are they getting off?

Please name me one other GO station that has another station/stop near it in which th 2 names are not the same?

Let say, someone not from the area, and not even from the GTHA were to go to Richmond Hill on a GO train. Where are they getting off?

Are you being serious?

To name a few:

"John Street" stop on the MiWay 103 not called "Cooksville GO"
"Theatre Lane/Nelson/Downtown Brampton Terminal" stop on the 502 not called "Brampton GO"
"Leslie" station on the Sheppard Line not called "Oriole GO", not even as a subheading.
"Rivis Rd" stop on the Viva Purple not called "Unionville GO"
"Bellamy Rd" stop on the 905/986 not called "Eglinton GO"

There's probably several more examples across the country where 2 transit systems have differing names for the exact same stop. But it's just that some people don't make mountains out of molehills like we Torontonians can't help but seem to do. People know how to get around, especially nowadays with way-finding apps readily available for free to download onto everyone's smartphone.

Are you being serious?

To name a few:

"Theatre Lane/Nelson/Downtown Brampton Terminal" stop on the 502 not called "Brampton GO"
"Leslie" station on the Sheppard Line not called "Oriole GO", not even as a subheading.

There's probably several more examples across the country where 2 transit systems have differing names for the exact same stop. But it's just that some people don't make mountains out of molehills like we Torontonians can't help but seem to do. People know how to get around, especially nowadays with way-finding apps readily available for free to download onto everyone's smartphone.

I was being serious. Thank you for listing those.
This almost shows how the transit takeover by the province might fix all of this.

I think the point is it doesn't really need fixing. People figure it out.
That's not to say some instances can't be ironed out etc. but I don't think it's a big deal at the end of the day.

Are you being serious?

To name a few:

Main Subway Station and Danforth Go are a 5 min walk apart. And Main St is hardly the "main" street of any community in the area, it's quite insignificant.

Main Subway Station and Danforth Go are a 5 min walk apart. And Main St is hardly the "main" street of any community in the area, it's quite insignificant.
Also Bloor GO at Dundas West station.

Main Street however was the main street in the former town of East Toronto, centred at Gerrard and Main,

The name of the subway station is Main Street not Main. An unusual use of the type of road in the station name for Toronto.

Back