News   Mar 05, 2021
 4.6K     9 
News   Mar 05, 2021
 584     0 
News   Mar 05, 2021
 2.1K     3 

TTC: Yonge North Subway Extension (Finch-Richmond Hill) (Unfunded/Planned)

TJ O'Pootertoot

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is YNSE further along than RLS?

Well, it's had a complete EA (TPAP) since 2009 and they're designing the tunnels and stations. (Indeed, IIRC, the YNSE was the first project to use the TPAP process for its EA.)

The Relief Line (south) TPAP is out for review now, so it's catching up in that regard but YNSE has more advanced design.
Funding-wise, I guess they're effectively in the same place, essentially since (wisely, I think) they've been kind of paired as a package deal.

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, it's had a complete EA (TPAP) since 2009 and they're designing the tunnels and stations. (Indeed, IIRC, the YNSE was the first project to use the TPAP process for its EA.)

The Relief Line (south) TPAP is out for review now, so it's catching up in that regard but YNSE has more advanced design.
Funding-wise, I guess they're effectively in the same place, essentially since (wisely, I think) they've been kind of paired as a package deal.
Have they said anything of if the 2009 EA was used, referenced, or redone?

TJ O'Pootertoot

Member Bio
Reaction score
Have they said anything of if the 2009 EA was used, referenced, or redone?

The contracts and design are clearly proceeding from the completed TPAP. The station locations, for example, are in the TPAP.
Perhaps the project will reach a design stage where they feel they need to update it, in part or entirely, but I haven't seen any indications of that so far and so far it's all on a single, long track.

SaugeenJunction

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well once YNSE is done Yonge will have pretty much reached its final state good to turn to the numerous other subway lines in Toronto that need building/extending

While I agree with you, there are some York Region planning docs that already show "potential subway extensions" north from the NYSE, and even some that show a completed loop to turn line 1 into a circular belt line. Nothing concrete however, for now.

Toronto1834

Member Bio
Reaction score
While I agree with you, there are some York Region planning docs that already show "potential subway extensions" north from the NYSE, and even some that show a completed loop to turn line 1 into a circular belt line. Nothing concrete however, for now.
I believe the York Region Transportation Master Plan includes extending both the Yonge and Spadina lines to Major Mackenzie. In my opinion this is basically a joke for a few reasons.

pman

Member Bio
Reaction score
The way this province operates they’ll extend the Line 1 to the folks in Barrie before building DRL.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would not mind that, but it will not happen when I still need to commute.
as someone who used to live in scarborough near woodside square mall i say why not. We should connect all major malls by transit. That should be our number one goal. Maybe a finch lrt to get me from woodside mall to bridlewood mall too.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey, remember the subway to Markham?

With a station next to the film studio?

From link.

$100M film studio to be built in Markham

With more Hollywood producers bringing their projects north, a 400,000 square foot, world class film studio is set to be built in Markham to help house even more productions. Tina Yazdani reports.