Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

A 2 stop extension to Vaughan Mills and Wonderland might make sense. Beyond that wouldn't, unless you are planning to transport crops on the line.

What about those who want to take the subway to go camping in Algonquin Park? They can't be left out. ;)

A 2 stop extension to Vaughan Mills and Wonderland might make sense. Beyond that wouldn't, unless you are planning to transport crops on the line.
Not that I'm advocating this ...

But what about that massive hospital they are currently building north of Wonderland. Really the stops should target Rutherford Road (which could service Vaughan Mills) and Major MacKenzie for the new hospital - which is further north than you need for Wonderland - but at least services the furthest parking lot for it. Though really - do people think Wonderland is going to be there in 50 years time? Surely it's financial value as a theme park is going to at some point be less than the real estate value for development.

What about those who want to take the subway to go camping in Algonquin Park? They can't be left out. ;)

Well, they used to have a train that got pretty close that went from Union Station....

But what about that massive hospital they are currently building north of Wonderland. Really the stops should target Rutherford Road (which could service Vaughan Mills) and Major MacKenzie for the new hospital - which is further north than you need for Wonderland - but at least services the furthest parking lot for it. Though really - do people think Wonderland is going to be there in 50 years time? Surely it's financial value as a theme park is going to at some point be less than the real estate value for development.

And that makes a subway stop that much more desirable to potential developers and buyers.

To be fair though, Walt Disney World in Florida has been around for almost 50 years. If they had left that entire area vacant instead of building houses, Wonderland could expand too.

I don't know, but I think Wonderland actually increases the value of real estate around it...

For most people the city does not end just at the Toronto borders, we are one region. Companies need people from every section of the GTA to find people, and getting people to and from work around the GTA should be pushed daily. That means the TTC should expand to where service can easily be provided. Extending Yonge line North to Richmond hill, what 3-4 KM out of Toronto proper is hardly a far flung place. It is a part of the region where every lot is being turned into condo's. There is a reason Finch station is packed, people from all over bus in. Realistically that money won't come from Toronto to build it, it will come from the province, york region and the feds.

Look at the mess around the airport, its the 2nd largest job concentration in this country. And public transportation is a mess in that area, so everyone drives. The issue there is that region is split over 4 cities, and when you are outside of Toronto by 2 KM (despite being the 2nd largest job zone in the country) the TTC is horrible. So if you are at the Bell office 1KM from the Toronto border you are adding in a long commute, so most people will just drive. That same issue happens in Vaaughn, some drive, some Go train if they are downtown Toronto, some bus to Finch and TTC, but it really isn't clean for anyone.

Experts want it build, demand says it should be build, growing part of the region. Not sure why people get all protectionist, its not like the Toronto budget will pay for it.

Agreed. We are one region. The sensible solution is to expand regional transit.

To be fair though, Walt Disney World in Florida has been around for almost 50 years. If they had left that entire area vacant instead of building houses, Wonderland could expand too.
I'm not sure we can compare the meagre land holdings in Vaughan to Disney's landholdings in Florida!

I don't know, but I think Wonderland actually increases the value of real estate around it...
If you owned Wonderland, how does that help you monetize the asset?

Well, they used to have a train that got pretty close that went from Union Station....

algonquinpark.jpg

From link.

When I was a kid in the 80s, Wonderland was surrounded by farmland. 20 years ago, much of the drive up Yonge from Toronto to Newmarket was still farmland.

50 years from now? I imagine Barrie south will be all urban. Unless we work to build good high speed urban transit, there will be even worse gridlock.

Many large cities have theme parks nearby or within city limits, one would assume more people -> more profit no?

Tokyo has Disney and as does Hong Kong and I believe Hong Kong actually has line directly to it
Tokyo has a heavy rail commuter line serving Tokyo Disneyland in Chiba Prefecture. I don't think there's anything wrong with having the barrie line service a station near the park and have a shuttle bus people to and from the park from the station. Same with doing it at the VMC.

I think the positioning of the existing subway was done very deliberately to facilitate a future extension to Major Mackenzie. I mean, just look how perfectly everything aligns:

I'm not sure we can compare the meagre land holdings in Vaughan to Disney's landholdings in Florida!

If you owned Wonderland, how does that help you monetize the asset?
Wonderland's location right in a major metropolitan area gives it the highest attendance of any seasonal theme park in North America. Even higher than Cedar Point. Day visitors from the city are Wonderland's bread and butter. Huge numbers of kids spend their days there all summer. If it were located farther from Toronto it would have to be a completely different kind of park and would have lower attendance.

I hear rumours every few years that Wonderland is moving to Niagara Falls or some such nonsense. That would strike me as a prohibitively expensive project. Some of the rides are massive and the biggest ones cost tens of millions of dollars each. And they're continuing to invest - by all accounts a major new roller coaster is under construction. I can't see the park going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Honestly though at what point does a subway just become to long though? We can't operate express service and does Union really have the capacity to be a terminus point for 2 lines assuming you split Line 1? There is definitely a point of diminishing returns were the Subway actually becomes its own worst enemy and you would be better off just building a higher order of transit (a GO Line).

Reactions: syn
Honestly though at what point does a subway just become to long though? We can't operate express service and does Union really have the capacity to be a terminus point for 2 lines assuming you split Line 1? There is definitely a point of diminishing returns were the Subway actually becomes its own worst enemy and you would be better off just building a higher order of transit (a GO Line).

What... you don't want a subway to Oakville, Oshawa or Barrie?

Back