Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Sure. Then they quote you 30-50k on top of rent to get them fixed up because they are shells.

Big companies can afford this. Not realistic for a company like ours or most little companies. A lot easier to be small or a startup downtown.

Thinking outside the box,....

Madison Centre has failed basement concourse level where most retail space has already been converted to office space (radio station, driving school, A-plus, dental office, real estate office, theatre, etc,..)

North York City Centre has failed lower concourse level,... 30 years old, first 10 had stores, but many spaces empty for last 20!,... most of south side converted to Metrolinx office (they're upstairs as well),.... north side and west end has lots of empty retail space,.... and if you want something relatively turn key with little renovation, North York Library has a Pop-Up Library along the north side (basic renovation of 4 units?) for about the last year,.... and those should be available soon since the first 3 floors of North York Library should re-open after renovation around end of this month. Here, you should have the upper hand in negotiation. CON: basement, no window, no view PRO: think of all the scoops (Metrolinx, TTC & CityPlanning (North York) offices nearby)

BREAKING: Premier Kathleen Wynne announces Lib govt is allocating provincial share of funding required to start construction on Toronto’s Downtown Relief Line subway, Yonge North subway extension & Waterfront LRT.

https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/992041239263391746

Wynne says this funding allocation would allow the city to “start putting shovels in the ground” on these transit projects. #onpoli

https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/992042613715816450
May be better fit the transit promises thread...

YNSE Planning and Design Underway.png

2018 - Preliminary planning, design and engineering works commence.

Attachments

• YNSE Planning and Design Underway.png
    YNSE Planning and Design Underway.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 291
Design of the Yonge extension seems likely regardless of who wins; cheap win. Funding actual construction, however, isn't going to happen this term; that'll be a 2022 election promise possibly with a tunnel RFP issued shortly before the election.

I feel like DRL long should be a top priority over this extension, which is not something we really need at the moment.

I feel like DRL long should be a top priority over this extension, which is not something we really need at the moment.

Between those 2 options, I agree.

If I had $9B burning a hole in my pocket I'd ask Metrolinx to study 5 minute all-day frequencies on Stouffville and Richmond Hills lines first (with strong feeder bus integration and fares equal to subway AND straightening Richmond Hill line). Toss in a downtown tunnel too if you needed due to Union capacity issues; perhaps under Wellington.

All studies of surface corridors as a high-capacity line through that area seem flawed; making assumptions that TTC will not be cooperative or seeing it as a low capital cost option.

Surface transit will have much lower maintenance costs (~$100M/year). That's enough reason to consider it.

Last edited:

If I had $9B burning a hole in my pocket I'd ask Metrolinx to study 5 minute all-day frequencies on Stouffville and Richmond Hills lines first (with strong feeder bus integration and fares equal to subway AND straightening Richmond Hill line). Toss in a downtown tunnel too if you needed due to Union capacity issues; perhaps under Wellington.

All studies of surface corridors as a high-capacity line through that area seem flawed; making assumptions that TTC will not be cooperative or seeing it as a low capital cost option.

Surface transit will have much lower maintenance costs (~$100M/year). That's enough reason to consider it.
To be fair to the Yonge Extension, the corridor actually has the ridership right now to support a subway. Should we extend it now? Absolutely not, but it's a better use of provincial funds than burying the Scarborough subway.

Doesn't RER on the Barrie and Richmond Hill Lines relieve Line 1 more than Barrie and Stouffville Lines though?

Doesn't RER on the Barrie and Richmond Hill Lines relieve Line 1 more than Barrie and Stouffville Lines though?
They don't really relieve Line 1 Finch to Union, since most people taking the Yonge line live within 2 km of it. Seeing as Barrie is 5 km west, Richmond hill is 5 km east, and Stouffville is 10 km east, they don't help the Yonge line at all. Barrie helps University/Spadina, Richmond Hill helps the Sheppard line and DRL long, Stouffville helps the SSE. Those lines don't really need any relief...

Design of the Yonge extension seems likely regardless of who wins; cheap win. Funding actual construction, however, isn't going to happen this term; that'll be a 2022 election promise possibly with a tunnel RFP issued shortly before the election.
I'm confused. The project has funding.

Everyone seems to forget the $9 billion in funding announced shortly before the election. It funded this, the DRL, and Waterfront LRT. By the sounds of it the PCs will keep the first two and re-allocate their portion of the Waterfront LRT money elsewhere.

Back