Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

It was just as political - and worse in some ways because you have a player that basically insulated itself from criticism in some way by pulling the strings in the background.
We sure we aren't talking about Metrolinx here?

they will have a route selected for that subway they approved the tax for five years ago soon, though,right? :)

Ironically, I would't mind if this was how infrastructure was funded. Approve taxes in advance, then debate where it goes. Set a deadline so we eventually have to approve something with that round of funding, before beginning the next round.

Like there?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-vancouver-tax-transit-improvements-1.3134857

or there?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rs-translink-funding-proposals/article535400/

It was just as political - and worse in some ways because you have a player that basically insulated itself from criticism in some way by pulling the strings in the background.

AoD
I know this failed. But Vancouver has opened another extension again while we fight. We need to do something. I think COL is higher than here, that is a factor.

I'd like to see Rosedale and Summerhill discontinued, so trains could go without stopping from Bloor to St Clair. Imagine the resources these stations consume with no riders

Alternatively we can create density targets for these areas along Yonge.

Rosedale station is 2 blocks long with very few rear neighbours. Why don't we first sell off this land for a 40+ story condo on the south end of the site and a smaller (15 stories) on the north. And across the street is a Green P and a city (?) building both facing a park. They scream redevelop me.

From Rosedale station up to the CP tracks it is very undeveloped. Encouraging growth is key. All of this area is filled with connected people who will fight any growth...the city need courage.

Rosedale station is 2 blocks long with very few rear neighbours. Why don't we first sell off this land for a 40+ story condo on the south end of the site and a smaller (15 stories) on the north. And across the street is a Green P and a city (?) building both facing a park. They scream redevelop me.

From Rosedale station up to the CP tracks it is very undeveloped. Encouraging growth is key. All of this area is filled with connected people who will fight any growth...the city need courage.
Sure, but these people won't be able to get on the subway at peak hour.

Especially if the Yonge subway extension ever were to go through.

While there is a 6 BAY bus, there is no longer a 19 CHURCH bus (or streetcar).

006map.gif

19-church-1991.jpg

The 19 CHURCH bus disappeared in 1996, due to cutbacks from the province.

Should they ever reinstate it, I can see it continuing north on Park Road, Rosedale Valley Road, Aylmer Road, and Yonge Street to Crescent Road and the Rosedale Station. It would provide a by-pass service to the downtown via Church Street. Except during Pride Week, of course. Would they do it? Not without proper TTC funding, they can't.

BTW. The streetcars on Church Street were discounted in 1954 because of the Yonge subway. Around the same time, the DANFORTH streetcar tripper that went down Church Street, also disappeared. See link.

Should they ever reinstate it, I can see it continuing north on Park Road, Rosedale Valley Road, Aylmer Road, and Yonge Street to Crescent Road and the Rosedale Station. It would provide a by-pass service to the downtown via Church Street. Except during Pride Week, of course. Would they do it? Not without proper TTC funding, they can't.
I've long suggested an express bus on Mt. Pleasant to provide relief to the Yonge Subway line. It would be a quicker and less congested route downtown than the subway. If it can take even just 1000 riders off of Yonge, then I would consider that a success.

Perhaps there is an opportunity to send it down Church rather than Jarvis. Doesn't do anything for Rosedale however.

I've long suggested an express bus on Mt. Pleasant to provide relief to the Yonge Subway line. It would be a quicker and less congested route downtown than the subway. If it can take even just 1000 riders off of Yonge, then I would consider that a success.

Perhaps there is an opportunity to send it down Church rather than Jarvis. Doesn't do anything for Rosedale however.

Too late! There is already an 141 Downtown / Mt Pleasant Express bus. See link. The bad news is that an additional fare is required.

141map.gif

See link for the Downtown Express Routes. 141/142/143/144/145.

And it runs twice a day.

How about every 10 minutes instead? Suddenly, we have a real alternative to the Yonge Subway for this part of town.

Same old, same old. The TTC is underfunded, so we can't. If the TTC was properly funded, some of those downtown express routes could be improved.

The city tried to redevelop the little park fronting Rosedale Station on Yonge a few years back. The firestorm created by those "few rear neighbours" killed that plan for a long time if not forever. Those "few neighbours" have a lot of power. You'll be lucky to get 6 floors along this strip.

And it runs twice a day.

How about every 10 minutes instead? Suddenly, we have a real alternative to the Yonge Subway for this part of town.

4 times southbound, twice northbound. But who's counting....

The line used to be much more frequent, and I did use it for a year, but ridership has never been particularly good on it - even as a regular-fare route when it started in 1990.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I just find the whole argument from a couple pages ago that Toronto should be left off to fund it's own projects without provincial help asinine.

Are we forgetting that this city finances the whole province? And that Queen's Park doesn't spend a fraction of the money that we Toronto residents give them through our taxes? That the Province specifically does not allow us to raise our own revenues from sales taxes or from tolls, heavily dehabiliting our ability to self-finance projects? That unlike anywhere else in this province we are facing massive infrastructure and community housing deficits? That on top of all that, the TTC is practically self-funded from Toronto residents with no provincial subsidies?

Toronto is given an incredibly poor hand. This city is as entitled if not more so than any other municipality to ask Queen's Park for our own money back to finance our transit projects.
what the province needs is a party to form and run and be toronto centric. This way it will ensure Toronto interests and with the other parties splitting the votes they can win and give the City of Toronto more power. Perhaps just the thought of a party forming to protect Toronto interest can scare the Liberals

Perhaps just the thought of a party forming to protect Toronto interest can scare the Liberals

The Liberals effectively are the urban and rather Toronto-centric party. Consider transit spending. Ottawa had to pay for 1/3rd of their LRT, despite the mayor being from there. Toronto got its LRTs funded without contributing anything. Heck, Toronto has refused to even make up provincial shortfalls, say for example on Finch West.

The Liberals effectively are the urban and rather Toronto-centric party. Consider transit spending. Ottawa had to pay for 1/3rd of their LRT, despite the mayor being from there. Toronto got its LRTs funded without contributing anything. Heck, Toronto has refused to even make up provincial shortfalls, say for example on Finch West.

That ScamTrack funding though.

Math is math. It's a first-past-the-post electoral system and most of the population is outside Toronto, particularly in the 905. It sure helps to have a base in Toronto but that's not sufficient to form a government and it's winning the 905 that allowed Harris and then McGuinty to win.

As KeithZ said, the Liberals are the closest thing there is to a Toronto Party and they're about to get their clocks cleaned. The NDP had a chance to step in to that void but apparently have chosen to go in another direction.

Sure, Toronto is given a poor hand but they play the game so poorly, I'm not sure what difference it makes. Yeah, they did have their entire LRT network funded by the province. Then the funding got cut. Then they basically scuttled the whole thing and have reversed themselves 3 or 4 times and now, a FULL DECADE LATER, have one line under construction and, well, I don't want to do a status update on the Scarborough subway but it's sure not good. If a Toronto Party would enable that disaster more than the Liberals have, I don't wanna see it.

Back