Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
I attended the second public workshop for the Yonge Subway Extension to Richmond Hill Centre last night, where they presented a draft recommendation for the extension.

HIGHLIGHTS:
-6 Stations (Cummer/Drewry; Steeles; Clark; Royal Orchard; Bunker; Richmond Hill Centre)
-Alignment runs under Yonge Street, but curves to the east after Bunker with the RHC station located under where Silvercity is today, any further extension would run along the CN corridor and curve back to Yonge Street at 16th/Carrville
-2,000 space park and ride facility at Bunker Station within the Hydro corridor
-Major intermodal facility (also a Metrolinx Mobility Hub) at RHC, connecting subway, GO Bus, GO Rail, Viva LRT/BRT, YRT, 407 Transitway
-Bus terminal at Steeles, layout to be determined, but one of the options involves an underground terminal beneath Steeles Avenue
-East Don River crossing will be a bridge, similar to the Bloor Street Viaduct, with a profile-optimized Yonge Street running atop the subway tracks. Bridge will reflect the heritage features of Thornhill

The first PIC will be held on September 25, 2008 to initiate the EA process, with the EA complete by next May.

Google Map (made by me) of Extension:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=100896670579802023776.000455732b8b5083ed897

A distant relative owns the land under the LCBO north of Yonge and Cummer. This news is going to make him a very happy man as the north exit of this station should sit close to his property.

I like the station name "Bunker". I also like "Royal Orchard". You can never really have too many stations that start with "Royal".

Centre was bypassed because it doesn't have an ice cube's chance in hell of seeing more than one or two thousand rides a day...the few buses that run along Centre or John can pick people up and bring them to Clark station. But maybe local mansion owners will donate enough money to pay for a station.

Bunker would serve the parking lot but also the thousands of residential units proposed for the land between the cemetery and the 407.

A bus terminal at Steeles would be needed, but what about other stations like Clark or Drewry/Cummer? Having Drewry/Cummer buses pass a station and continue to run to Finch would be tres stupide.

I'd like to see exactly where station locations are proposed (like, will Steeles be at, north, or south of Steeles?). A bridge over the Don seems like the best idea...it'll provide a quick pop of sunlight and a good view just like the Viaduct on the Danforth line, and it should also preempt ridiculously deep stations.

I'd like to see exactly where station locations are proposed (like, will Steeles be at, north, or south of Steeles?).

there seems to be room at both the north and south side of steeles for a new terminal to be built if they expropriate what is there. you go the esso station on the north and the horrible 2 story retail on the south plus that little ttc bus loop.

i would really like to see that proposal at centrepoint done earlier with a parking garage/bus terminal/etc. on that southwest corner. it could easily become a nice intersection.

at clark, if there was to be a terminal, there's the gas station and body shop on the north side and again the 1 story shops to the south.

I would have thought John/Centre would be higher priority then Royal Orchard, at least it connects further east and west, rather than Royal Orchard's one block connection to Bayview ... UNLESS they wanted to service the golf course (Bayview Country Club) via subway ... LOL

but there's nothing around john/centre to warrant a subway station.

royal orchard is not only a good distance from clark it has a higher density of people. there are around 7 towers of apt/condos at royal orchard. you also have a strip mall and a school nearby.

but there's nothing around john/centre to warrant a subway station.

royal orchard is not only a good distance from clark it has a higher density of people. there are around 7 towers of apt/condos at royal orchard. you also have a strip mall and a school nearby.

Looks similar to Yonge Street at Glen Echo Road in Toronto, but with 2 golf courses instead of the hill. I guess if a station was put at Glen Echo, then they'll put one in at John/Centre.

but what about other stations like Clark or Drewry/Cummer? Having Drewry/Cummer buses pass a station and continue to run to Finch would be tres stupide.

Make Drewry/Cummer one continuous bus route and at Yonge people can be dropped off at the corner just like at Bayview and Sheppard. There's no need for a bus terminal here.

Thanks for the update.
I attended the last session and basically agree with those decisions.

I'd forgotten about the Steeles Ave bus loop - that does seem to provide a nice opportunity for a terminal if they can develop underground. They have been adamant that there won't be any parking at Steeles but I guess that won't prevent Centerpoint from offering to build some kind of structure.

Does anyone know how/when Fairview and Bayview Village got involved with TTC parking? Did they get asked by TTC or did they volunteer to expand parking with TTC-only areas? Aside from the fairs they host every now and then, that corner of the mall parking does seem a natural place to build something.

I'm also curious about the future of Silver City, Home Depot and all that other relatively new retail which is slated for major redevelopment.

Those who don't understand the need for Bunker need to see the plans for Langstaff, across the street. Peter Calthorpe is working on the master plan and it sounds like it'll be a major smart growth community on a massive scale.

Does anyone have any documents for the redevlopment that's going to happen on Langstaff?

i rememeber from an earlier viva/yrt document showing that they wanted to store future LRV's in those lands but i guess thats changed.

i'm curious to see the how long this proposal will take for it to become a reality.

would roughing out a station there and then waiting until it becomes needed, like they did at north york centre, be a better choice?

Back