Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

,Metrolinx has refined plans for the subway extension that will result in deeper tunnels and a route that travels under far fewer residential properties in the Royal Orchard community than the previous route. The changes mean the subway tunnels will follow a route that travels mostly under Bay Thorn Drive wherever possible once they turn east from Yonge Street to connect with the rail corridor. The previous route went under 40 homes and an additional 23 properties, whereas the new route goes under 20 homes and 15 additional properties.

The tunnels below the Royal Orchard neighbourhood will be at a minimum depth of 21 metres and as deep as 50 metres below the surface, averaging a more significant depth through much of the community compared to previous plans. These refinements will keep things peaceful and quiet in the neighbourhoods along the route while still delivering all the benefits of the subway extension for York Region.

Well, this should finally put to rest all those concerns from the local ratepayers, right? I mean, Metrolinx wasn't listening - but they did listen. It was a done deal - but then it wasn't.
It was going under a lot of their homes, too close to the surface - now it's half the homes and deeper. I expect them to be thrilled!

Also, this seems to be oddly under the radar but it seems like it's kind of a big thing?

Well, this should finally put to rest all those concerns from the local ratepayers, right? I mean, Metrolinx wasn't listening - but they did listen. It was a done deal - but then it wasn't.
It was going under a lot of their homes, too close to the surface - now it's half the homes and deeper. I expect them to be thrilled!

Also, this seems to be oddly under the radar but it seems like it's kind of a big thing?
Also, there is the Engage Bridge - A new Transit-Oriented Community

This is a mischaracterization of the concerns over subway extensions into York Region.

Put bluntly, people just want to know that York Region is paying it’s fair share for TTC service operating deep into its territory. This is especially the case because the TTC (and the people of Toronto, who fully funded its operating expenses till recently) weren’t particularly interested in expanding into York Region - this was a decision handed down by the Provincial government.

Given that the people paying for operating the service didn’t want the expanded mandate, and were simply forced to do it - yeah, I can understand why questions around operating costs and fair share come up.
I'd agree with this. It's been understood for a very long time now that a lot of riders are coming from other parts of the GTA, and I don't think most people have any sort of problem with it.

With the route change, the government has demonstrated it values the concerns and complaints of some more than others. So much for cost savings.

A comparison. Safe to assume slower speeds in the December version now that the curves are sharper?

Refined Option 3 Comparison - March to December 2021.png

A comparison. Safe to assume slower speeds in the December version now that the curves are sharper?

View attachment 367898
If York region coughs up the money for Royal Orchard Station, the speed difference between the two versions would be minimal. Otherwise, maybe 30s added.

If York region coughs up the money for Royal Orchard Station, the speed difference between the two versions would be minimal. Otherwise, maybe 30s added.
But at this point, Royal Orchard is now going to be so much more expensive - at a depth of 50m making it BY FAR the deepest on the network. If York Region couldn't cough up money for it before, they certainly can't do it now.

But at this point, Royal Orchard is now going to be so much more expensive - at a depth of 50m making it BY FAR the deepest on the network. If York Region couldn't cough up money for it before, they certainly can't do it now.
Whatever the depth of Royal Orchard was before, I dont think it has increased much. The potential location of the station is in more or less the same place.

So why is it curving like that at the end of the line again? I didn't get the memo.
The idea was so that it can be above ground across Highway 407, making it cheaper to build. It also puts the proposed 'Bridge' station in the middle of a proposed development, rather than at the edge.

Back