Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I said all along, I don't think having substantive development will be an issue here. And the leverage the Province has means it will likely be even more substantive - which is to say more than 15,000 units in Langstaff Gateway and more than 12K in RH (which is to say easily upwards of 50K residents).
But, yeah, nice to see "partnership" happening to ensure that's the case and, one would think, that it's planned coherently to ensure proper integration between what the private developers want and what the project needs (not superficially, in terms of ridership but in terms of creating an ACTUAL transit-oriented development).

With Richmond Hill's elevation of 233m versus Toronto's elevation of 76m, those people in those towers will have a great view and look down at Toronto.
Which part of Richmond Hill is this measuring? As with most of Southern York Region and Toronto, the elevation gradually increases as you head north, so Southern Richmond Hill is much lower than say Northern Richmond Hill (This also means you can see the CN tower even from as north as Bloomington Rd if you have a clear sight-line on a clear day)

A friend of mine has an engineer colleague who once laid down a sick burn on some angry local resident at a public consultation. The engineer said something along the lines of "ma'am, I'm sorry the public education system has failed you to this extent." Similar phrases come to mind with these royal yahoos.

Here's a news story about the protest ("cloud and clear"?) the other day...

...and here's a blog entry from Metrolinx that, I'm sure, is completely unrelated: 😜

Simple question I'd like to know, which is not answered here: If the trains are 20m below Schulich, how deep would they run beneath Royal Orchard? (I'd guess more than 20m but don't think we've seen a hard number.)

Do you guys think there is any hope to add one more station to the subway extension? Do you guys think it is worth building this project with two less stations because the people living in the corridors will have worse service and probably hourly or half hourly bus service increasing their travel times. Do you think this project is worth it without the stations?

Do you guys think there is any hope to add one more station to the subway extension? Do you guys think it is worth building this project with two less stations because the people living in the corridors will have worse service and probably hourly or half hourly bus service increasing their travel times. Do you think this project is worth it without the stations?
Maybe, possibly, yeah.
Yes.
Yes.

YRT needs to improve the local bus service on Yonge between Steeles and Hwy 7, once the subway opens. Viva services will no longer operate on Yonge south of Hwy 7, leaving a large gap from Hwy 7 to Clark. That gap should be filled by the local service running once in 10 to 15 min.

Steeles to Finch isn't that bad, it will have TTC #97, plus #42 and 125 south of Cummer / Drewry. Ideally the mid-block station at Cummer or Patricia should be added, the area is full of highrises and the usage will be pretty decent. But it is not a deal-breaker.

YRT needs to improve the local bus service on Yonge between Steeles and Hwy 7, once the subway opens. Viva services will no longer operate on Yonge south of Hwy 7, leaving a large gap from Hwy 7 to Clark. That gap should be filled by the local service running once in 10 to 15 min.

Steeles to Finch isn't that bad, it will have TTC #97, plus #42 and 125 south of Cummer / Drewry. Ideally the mid-block station at Cummer or Patricia should be added, the area is full of highrises and the usage will be pretty decent. But it is not a deal-breaker.
1632272727796.png

That's allegedly the plan.

View attachment 350589
That's allegedly the plan.

The intentions are pretty good.

Although we have to see how this plan evolves as the opening date approaches. I can spot a couple of problems with the routes in the above plan.

#23 to Clark Stn doesn't really make sense, that would leave Hilda Ave between Clark and Steeles with no service at all (currently, provided by #23). Either the #23 should run to Steeles Stn via Hilda, or it should be split into two routes, the northern route (serving north of Hwy 7) running to the RHC station, and the southern one (Atkinson, Clark, Hilda) running to Steeles Stn.

And, route #3 that runs on Yonge between Royal Orchard and Centre, will have no connection to the Yonge subway in the absence of the Royal Orchard station. They will probably want to re-route or split the #3, since the subway will be the biggest destination.

I feel that the published plan is really a statement of intentions at this point.

Routes get tweaked all the time. Given all the things you point out, it seems reasonable to assume that, say, just because the #23 route will stop at Clark in 2031, doesn't mean that Route #23 will look exactly like it does in 2021. I'm sure most, if not all, of these routes will differ accordingly.

That's a proposed allocation so they have to design the stations, allocate bus bays, actually build the darned thing and then adjust accordingly; and likely adjust even more once they see how everything functions once the subway is open. The subway project has even't gone to RFP yet so even though I think every problem listed above is legit, there's rather a lot of time to address them and, yeah, this is a "statement of intentions" or a starting point.

EDIT: Answering my own question from above, I see Metrolinx did provide some tunnel info on one of their blogs:
The bottoms of the tunnels will be at least 20 metres deep in the Royal Orchard community – roughly as deep as a six-storey building is tall. The tops of the tunnels will be at least 14 metres below the surface, which is equal to the height of a four-storey building.

So the answer to "how deep?" is "at least as deep as York U, where the subway passes under and you can't hear anything, even in the basement..."

Last edited:
Perhaps YRT could paint red lanes along Yonge.
That won't end well. Yonge Street is 5 lanes large and having dedicated bus lanes would narrow traffic down to 1 lane per direction, and that's a very heavily trafficked corridor. Unlike Morningside with RapidTO, you won't be able to get away with squeezing car traffic that much.

Back