News   Nov 30, 2021
 3     0 
News   Nov 30, 2021
 201     0 
News   Nov 30, 2021
 191     0 

TTC: Yonge North Subway Extension (Finch-Richmond Hill) (Funded/Planned)

TJ O'Pootertoot

Member Bio
Reaction score

I think you missed the important part which isn't that it's delayed, per se, but that "Contract packaging options (including delivery models and timelines) continue to be explored, with a view to considering how a) Tunnels and b) Stations, Rail and Systems might be optimally delivered."
👀

Last edited:

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score

Can't recall if this meeting has been posted here. Also, I believe the technical name is "Option 3 Refined".

StealthyArrow

Member Bio
Reaction score
The city of Markham has released an interim report on Land Use and Built Form Study on the Yonge Street corrider surrounding each station.
Here's the documents if you wish to read further into it; lots of great details and has a detailed vision of how Markham wants the neighbourhoods to look like including examples to other developments in Toronto. https://pub-markham.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=43413
https://pub-markham.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=43414

Some key information and images;

Screenshot (784).png
Screenshot (785).png
Screenshot (786).png
Screenshot (787).png
Screenshot (788).png
Screenshot (789).png
Screenshot (790).png

toronto647

Member Bio
Reaction score
The city of Markham has released an interim report on Land Use and Built Form Study on the Yonge Street corrider surrounding each station.
Here's the documents if you wish to read further into it; lots of great details and has a detailed vision of how Markham wants the neighbourhoods to look like including examples to other developments in Toronto. https://pub-markham.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=43413

View attachment 356167View attachment 356168View attachment 356169View attachment 356171View attachment 356172View attachment 356173View attachment 356174
These are some very impressive plans.

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score

Kewl it's like the 2000s again. Especially looking forward to the Langstaff plan, which is a tad behind schedule.

TJ O'Pootertoot

Member Bio
Reaction score
Finally a positive story by TVO

It helps to read the article it's responding to, which seems like a bit more of a thought experiment than an actual argument. The TVO writers are pretty sharp and the idea that we should give up on public transit - especially projects that were needed decades ago and which are now, finally, on the verge of realization - seems amazingly dumb to me. You can never know the future and there's no doubt COVID has changed some things but I think this response nails the real issues: the region is still growing, people will still be living in these places, where we build infrastructure is what drives the shape of our cities etc.

I don't know how long it will take transit to rebound to pre-pandemic levels but that's OK. It means the YNSE can be built without constant worries about Yonge-Bloor capacity! Fewer complaints about getting on at Lawrence and not being able to find a seat! If more people are working from home, that might open enough room, if only for a little bit, for more transit-oriented development around stations that creates new riders. At the end of the day, I understand why someone looks at transit today and is concerned it's more than a blip but there's too much riding on these projects to "pause" them; not when the YNSE and OL could/should easily have been built 25 years ago.

Last edited:

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

TJ O'Pootertoot

Member Bio
Reaction score
One important omission/bit of context from the report: the Region's $1.12B is actually mostly coming from development charges (in case you were wondering how a tax generating $12M a year helps them pay that amount). The proposed levy is a smaller chunk of the funding but they're still calculating how that breaks down.

Also, it's not on the Metrolinx or TTC agenda so I doubt he'll see it but this should make Steve Munro and his crowd smile with delight and put some champagne on ice:
1636637344627.png

It will also take some wind out of the sails of the people who like to crow that suburbanites shouldn't be allowed to steal subway seats from tax-paying Toronto citizens. With York Region actually paying a share, that argument becomes moot.

allengeorge

Member Bio
Reaction score
Also, it's not on the Metrolinx or TTC agenda so I doubt he'll see it but this should make Steve Munro and his crowd smile with delight and put some champagne on ice:
1636637344627.png

It will also take some wind out of the sails of the people who like to crow that suburbanites shouldn't be allowed to steal subway seats from tax-paying Toronto citizens. With York Region actually paying a share, that argument becomes moot.
I mean, it’s said with a disparaging tone - but I think that’s a reasonable criticism, and I’m glad York Region has to pay its share of the operating expenses.

TJ O'Pootertoot

Member Bio
Reaction score
I mean, it’s said with a disparaging tone - but I think that’s a reasonable criticism, and I’m glad York Region has to pay its share of the operating expenses.

It's reasonable in that the only thing resembling a substantive argument has been "I'm a taxpayer and you're not!" but it's also always been clear that whether it's an ad hoc deal like this or a more regional solution, that funding should be done more fairly. As a YR taxpayer, I have zero problem with it - we want the subway, we should pay for it - I just also resent being treated as a second-class rider for daring to use TTC every now and then.