Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

At 800M, I don't think the Finch to Cummer distance is unreasonable when compared with downtown stations, and when looking at the density unfolding in that area.
Consider that the government has penciled the two northernmost stations a mere 400M apart! (which is utterly foolish)

Also, I have to say, I'm not in the business of accepting an arbitrary government idea that this line can only have 4 stations on it.
It can and should have the number that best serve existing and planned residents; and where it can be justified economically.
High Tech is also extremely cheap and is a bonus station on the way to the new MSF that will be located north of there, its not a fair comparison.

Second, when I say 500m, I mean its 500m to the northernmost entrance to Finch Station at the Finch Terminal (Finch station juts itself quite north).

Yes I agree all of the stations should be built, but out of the 3, Clark serves the most bus routes (including a future branch of Viva Orange, and there will likely be rapidway installed along Clark eventually)

David Haines had a brutal take on this annoucement on Twitter:

1626445942263.png

We all knew the business case for this extension isn't great - but that's abysmal.

That's why I would prefer a continuous build model that opens a Cummer station first, then Steeles, then, maybe Clark and so on.
Its also why I think that if we're going to build this, we should have conditional upzoning on all the applicable lands along Yonge and within 500M either side.

The zoning flips the moment that:

A) The previous station to the south opens

b) Construction has begun to reach the next station.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something but why do you say that?
I've said this before but the Richmond Hill Line (and I'm saying this as someone who lives near the line and would greatly benefit from a Richmond Hill RER) is an awful transit line south of Oriole. The route is extremely winding thus the curves are slow, and its position at the bottom of the valley means that they cannot add any infill stations to the line, especially to interchange with other lines like Line 2 and Ontario Line (unless you build a pricy high speed elevator, but even then its an additional 300-350m walk to Castle Frank). To put some perspective, according to the PBC on the Yonge North Subway released earlier this year, if two people depart Bridge Center at the same time, one person on Richmond Hill and the other on Line 1, and the person on Richmond Hill then transfers to the Yonge Line at Union and heads north, they would meet up at approximately Queen. This means that Line 1 will still be faster for those trying to head to the northern part of downtown Toronto. Electrification could help, but since many of the issues with the route are with the routing itself and less with not enough acceleration, I doubt it would improve RH's performance other than maybe being faster to reach south of Bloor. Some of these issues could be alleviated if Metrolinx manages to take over the Midtown Route via the Missing Link, and use CP's Don Sub instead of the CN sub, and then rebuild the tracks from the CN to CP sub on the north side (which would require the removal of the park there), this will allow for an infill station to connect to Line 5 and/or a future Ontario Line extension, however this is unlikely to happen, and is unlikely to address the actual needs of people along the corridor. While there is quite a bit of traffic to Union Station, a Yonge Subway extension grants access to far more hubs and locations - and far more conveniently as well - places like North York Centre, Midtown, far more directly and conveniently. What this will likely mean is that even in the most ideal scenerio for a Richmond HIll Line RER, you're still stuck with a lot of people on busses headed towards Finch Station (Viva Blue is a fairly busy bus route - there's a reason why its the only YRT route that has all day headways of 7 minutes). Finally there's the 407 Transitway. Both the last government and this government are looking at a major transportation corridor along the 407. The last government seemed focused on a 407 Transitway, however this government seems to have upped the ante and upgraded that to a 407 REM type thing. In fact in the 2051 Transportation Plan we saw last week, the government wants RHC to be some sort of Union Station North in terms of regional importance. This means not only are we building a transit link to serve people of Richmond Hill, Markham, and Vaughan going to Toronto, but long term we're looking at a link that will bring people up to York Region, and connect to a massive loop line that surrounds the metro area - something that could be extremely vital to those living and/or working North York Centre - and a Richmond Hill RER would serve absolutely none of these people well, and once again this could lead to serious congestion on Yonge Street through busses alone (don't forget that Yonge Street between Steeles and Finch is already the busiest bus corridor in the entire city).

Ok, so I'm listening to the announcement, and Stan Cho just said that they're still collaborating with the Feds and Municipal government to get the additional funding for Royal Orchard and Cummer, so this isn't a done deal.
I wish they would just drop the Royal Orchard station already. There's no justification for it.

I wish they would just drop the Royal Orchard station already. There's no justification for it.
It will most likely be built if York Region is able to gather up the funds for it. The most likely scenerio is Clark gets built, and then funds are found for Cummer. Royal Orchard probably won't happen but if YR finds the money, it definitely won't be a bad addition.

Let's be real, all of the stations north of Steeles will have low ridership, apart from Highway 7. Walk-ins will be very few, there's little surrounding density and we all know what YRT connecting bus frequencies are like. Doesn't mean this extension shouldn't be built, but it's wise to temper ridership expectations. I wish the suburban subway extensions came packaged with local bus improvements.
David Haines had a brutal take on this annoucement on Twitter:

View attachment 335376

Back