Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Fortunately for Mr. TJ O'Pootertoot, we live in a country that provides us freedom of expression. Consequently, the rest of us are exposed to nonsense from someone who is demonstrably incapable of coherent reasoning or thought. This incessant need to troll is, undoubtedly, a product of his own inadequacies.

🤔

1624301177225.png

🤔🤔

It seems inevitable at this point that this project becomes a voting issue in upcoming provincial and federal elections. Peter Kent and Melissa Lantsman's statement was, in my opinion, the first sign that the federal Conservatives will end up running against this proposal with the promise of additional funding. What do others think?

Given the state of the economy (or at least conservative messaging about it) hard to imagine them suggesting MORE transit spending. But maybe?

I think mostly they just like being Monday Morning Quarterbacks.

Last edited:
🤔

Given the state of the economy (or at least conservative messaging about it) hard to imagine them suggesting MORE transit spending. But maybe?

SHEPPARD SUBWAY EXTENSION ANNOUNCEMENT FOR NEXT ELECTION

I don't think it would be framed in terms of additional funding for transit so much as going back to the original plan

I don't think it would be framed in terms of additional funding for transit so much as going back to the original plan

Well, going back to the original plan is out of their jurisdiction. They could throw money at it with that spin, of course, and try to urge Metrolinx to go along but as a sequence of events, it seems dicey. I get there's reality and there's politics but I think the reality is that they can't do that... And by the time of the election, the horses might well be out the barn door anyway as the TPAP is getting underway sooner rather than later. Buuut one should never count their transit chickens before they're hatched so I guess we'll see what happens...

The province has decided where it will add the additional stop on its proposed $5.6-billion Yonge North subway extension.

The Ministry of Transportation and Metrolinx are expected to be joined by federal and municipal officials Friday morning to announce the 8-kilometre project will include a fourth station at Clark Avenue in Thornhill, the Star has learned.

The options for the fourth station were Clark Avenue or Royal Orchard Boulevard in York Region, or Cummer Avenue in Toronto.

According to a copy of the Metrolinx station analysis obtained by the Star, the agency determined Clark was the best choice because it “offers more benefits at lower costs with less complexity of construction.”

The version of the extension with Clark is projected to attract 1,250 new daily riders compared to the three-stop base case, and the extra stop would cost about $250 million including capital work and property.

Provincial officials believe adding a fifth station could be possible if more funding became available.

The Ministry of Transportation and Metrolinx are expected to be joined by federal and municipal officials Friday morning to announce the 8-kilometre project will include a fourth station at Clark Avenue in Thornhill, the Star has learned.
Surprising absolutely no one. And yeah: I agree with @TossYourJacket: at this point if either York or Toronto want an additional station, they’re gonna have to pay for it, or get someone else to.

SMH.

Cummer and Steeles are the only two stop for which there is a business case for the YNSE based on current or impending development.

That's not arguing against go further north, but it is an argument about building first where existing or imminent development creates the greatest ROI opportunities.

With Federal election likely about to be called & Cummer Station being in swing riding of Willowdale,.... Provincial PC government now playing game of chicken on subway train tracks with Federal Liberal government

SMH.

Cummer and Steeles are the only two stop for which there is a business case for the YNSE based on current or impending development.

That's not arguing against go further north, but it is an argument about building first where existing or imminent development creates the greatest ROI opportunities.

That "business case" is based on today's (or two years ago) situation. If there are parking lots (or single-story single-use buildings) along the route, they can be replaced and developed with high-rises at some future date,

SMH.

Cummer is just far too close to Finch IMO, and only really serves 1/2 bus routes. Meanwhile Clark is on a corridor ripe for redevelopment and will have several YRT routes terminating at the planned bus terminal, plus it gives a Markham and Vaughan a station so that Viva Blue can terminate at RHC (which is part of the purpose of this extension).

Cummer is just far too close to Finch IMO, and only really serves 1/2 bus routes. Meanwhile Clark is on a corridor ripe for redevelopment and will have several YRT routes terminating at the planned bus terminal, plus it gives a Markham and Vaughan a station so that Viva Blue can terminate at RHC (which is part of the purpose of this extension).

At 800M, I don't think the Finch to Cummer distance isn't unreasonable when compared with downtown stations, and when looking at the density unfolding in that area.
Consider that the government has penciled the two northernmost stations a mere 400M apart! (which is utterly foolish)

Also, I have to say, I'm not in the business of accepting an arbitrary government idea that this line can only have 4 stations on it.
It can and should have the number that best serve existing and planned residents; and where it can be justified economically.

Last edited:
Clark is key to service bus connections to Thornhill, which is a huge density node that's just a little too far form the subway to be walking distance.

I get why the province included it.

Cummer should be built too though, the Cummer bus route is pretty busy coming in from Scarborough and there is a lot of density planned in the area. Given how far north Finch station runs though, it is quite close to Finch so I can kind-of see why it was trimmed.

Clark would have been a bigger loss overall though for sure.

Back