News   Oct 21, 2021
 149     0 
News   Oct 20, 2021
 1.2K     1 
News   Oct 20, 2021
 1.5K     2 

TTC: Yonge North Subway Extension (Finch-Richmond Hill) (Funded/Planned)

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

TJ O'Pootertoot

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is questioning whether Cummer makes sense for a station. The question is whether it makes MORE sense than Clark or Royal Orchard, if only one is being built.

IMHO, it's #2, ahead of Royal Orchard but behind Clark and that's basically what the numbers in the business case say. So, it's proximity to Finch isn't an automatic strike BUT if we're comparing, the fact that Clark is breaking up a huge gap and Cummer is between 2 major stations has to factor in.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not convinced we'll end up with 2/3 cut. More likely to be 1/3 (Royal Orchard) and this is an exercise to push either York or the Feds to meet any funding gap some time down the road (definitely unlikely any of this is resolved prior to the 2022 election).
As I said earlier this is likely a ploy to get some additional federal funds, and since this area is a major swing area both provincially and federally, the liberals have a keen interest in playing the hero for this project, so I do think the liberals will play ball and offer additional funding for 2/3 and if we're lucky 3/3. For now though we're only for sure getting 1/3 and even though both Cummer and Clark are good candidates, I think Clark needs it a bit more.

H4F33Z

Member Bio
Reaction score
Who wants Royal Orchard? Wasn't Royal Orchard cut from the plan quite early due to heritage status? if it was still in the plan, then it's definitely needs to get the boot immediately. But I honestly don't see Clark getting cut. It's just a huge huge gap between Steeles and Langstaff, and York needs at least one infill station to facilitate bus connections. And I really do want to see Cummer stay. Bus connections, local access and pretty good dense location.

The stations could be built super bare bones to just have the bare minimum allowed for a subway station. No fancy chandalier crap the TYSSE was on. Just simple station entrances with development on top and platforms. Hey, maybe private developers can help!

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
A quick look at a map makes me think that the only stations needed would be Steeles, Centre and RH Centre. They are all placed at the concession lines of ole and are about 2km apart. Leave spots for the other future stations, but with those stations, it gets built and it will start serving the area better.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
A quick look at a map makes me think that the only stations needed would be Steeles, Centre and RH Centre. They are all placed at the concession lines of ole and are about 2km apart. Leave spots for the other future stations, but with those stations, it gets built and it will start serving the area better.
The problem with that is even though Centre is technically part of 14th Avenue Concession Line or whatever, its a small residential street without much of anything around it either existing or planned. This means that the only thing going for a Centre Street station, is the fact that Centre Street is technically a major gridline concession road. Nothing more.

Edit:

Clark Avenue:
Centre Street:

What do you think looks better for a subway station?

sunnyraytoronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ignoring how close Cummer Station is to Finch Station,.... with the Yonge Subway Extension - focus on Steeles Station since that’ll be the area mega subway station with that 36 bay bus terminal and possible future BRT along Steeles. Now, from Steeles Station - Cummer Station is 1.2km away,... whereas Clark Station is closer at 1.0m away - from that perspective it would favour Cummer Station over Clark Station.

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't really get the Hi Tech station. Want to save money just make a single station at Langstaff GO. Serve both sides of Hwy 7 at once. Walkalators are your friend.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is questioning whether Cummer makes sense for a station. The question is whether it makes MORE sense than Clark or Royal Orchard, if only one is being built.

IMHO, it's #2, ahead of Royal Orchard but behind Clark and that's basically what the numbers in the business case say. So, it's proximity to Finch isn't an automatic strike BUT if we're comparing, the fact that Clark is breaking up a huge gap and Cummer is between 2 major stations has to factor in.
When I looked at both locations over a decade ago before appearing at an TTC meeting as well Metrolinx including talking to folks at Regional level, neither locations could support a station. If one was built, ridership would be along the lines of Coxwell and Ellsemere with no growth area due to been an Heritage area ruling out Royal Orchard.

Aerial views are great, but need to walked the area and talk to folks along it like I have. This was one of the strongest anti LRT and BRT area who supported low rise and a subway regardless how expensive the subway was as they wanted the road to drive on only.. One reason the BRT stops at Hwy 7.

Cummer make more sense then most stations in York Region.

Don't expect to see any funding until after 2022.

I did photograph the area as well and up on my site if Flickr has no lost them due to their system failure.

sunnyraytoronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of people would be very happy if the city stopped subsidizing golf courses and turned that into parkland. Not our Mayor, though.

Specifically I'd like to see Earl Bayes park extended to York Mills station through what is currently the Don Valley Golf Course. Jennifer Keesmat proposed converting this golf course to parkland during her mayoral run.

View attachment 306605

Maybe earmark at least some of that for development? Like where the clubhouse currently is. Something to enlarge the tax base and build ridership for the nearby stations.

With regards to Cummer station, I think it's a little ridiculous that we have stations every ~600 meters on Eglinton where everything is low-rise, but then we are proposing 2000 meters between Finch/Steeles where we have so much density planned/under construction.

I feel like the province is deliberately selling the version with fewer stations so that they can get developers/municipalities/the federal government to cough up the money for the "missing" stations.

City has formal report studying conversion of it’s golf course back to regular parkland - report should have been out last year but on hold due to pandemic. I strongly suspect this report will recommend conversion of City golf course to regular parkland. Anyways, with regards to conversion of Don Valley Golf Course back to regular parkland,.... over the years City Planning and Transportation Services has been getting various strategic properties conveyed to City as parkland that would improve access into the current Don Valley Golf course land / future regular parkland. My suggestions materialized in 2 of them.

Last edited:

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't really get the Hi Tech station. Want to save money just make a single station at Langstaff GO. Serve both sides of Hwy 7 at once. Walkalators are your friend.
The thing about High Tech Station is it is a low hanging fruit "easy to build" station. There is going to be a small MSF located north of that street so the tracks are already going to pass by the area, and if Metrolinx goes for Option 3, the station will be a surface station meaning that all they have to do is build a single high platform, an elevator, maybe some escalators, and a platform canopy. It would be super cheap and getting rid of it wouldn't be nearly enough to pay for any of the stations being cut. It really is just a cheap bonus station that they can build because the tracks will already be there.

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
The thing about High Tech Station is it is a low hanging fruit "easy to build" station. There is going to be a small MSF located north of that street so the tracks are already going to pass by the area, and if Metrolinx goes for Option 3, the station will be a surface station meaning that all they have to do is build a single high platform, an elevator, maybe some escalators, and a platform canopy. It would be super cheap and getting rid of it wouldn't be nearly enough to pay for any of the stations being cut. It really is just a cheap bonus station that they can build because the tracks will already be there.

Slippery slope. Bringing to Hi Tech is already an extension beyond the extension. Do that, then hey why not 16th, okay how bout Major Mack too. Then pandering and before you know it the line is underground but the promised stations remain. York Region is pretty spoiled so wouldn't surprise me.

I think one station for Hwy 7 serving north and south of there is good. Walkalators.

Undead

Member Bio
Reaction score
You don't need High Tech when most of the existing development (and much of what's surely to come for the box box retail immediately north of the 407) is within easy walking distance of "Bridge."

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Why are they building a subway station at Yonge & Eglinton. It's mostly low-rise buildings.

20150818-YongeEg-EglintonN.jpg

Looking north on Eglinton from just north of Yonge. On the left, there's a Laura Secord candy store, a Woolworth's five-and-dime, and a Dominion supermarket. The strip of buildings has since been replaced by the RioCan Yonge Eglinton Centre.

20150818-YongeEg-LookingN.jpg

This photo was taken looking north from south of the intersection, showing the Tambyn Drugs store at the northwest corner. Founded in Toronto, Tamblyn was sold to Loblaws, then UK pharmacy chain Boots, then Pharma Plus, which still has an outlet on the site today. Likewise Dominion, which became Metro, is also still on the site. In the foreground diggers are taking up streetcar track on Yonge.

20150818-YongeEg-Aerial-Low.jpg

Aerial shot, this one taken looking north along Yonge toward Eglinton in 1951. The old streetcar barn is still standing in the lower left corner. Note how few buildings are more than two storeys high.

From link.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
Slippery slope. Bringing to Hi Tech is already an extension beyond the extension. Do that, then hey why not 16th, okay how bout Major Mack too. Then pandering and before you know it the line is underground but the promised stations remain. York Region is pretty spoiled so wouldn't surprise me.

I think one station for Hwy 7 serving north and south of there is good. Walkalators.
You don't need High Tech when most of the existing development (and much of what's surely to come for the box box retail immediately north of the 407) is within easy walking distance of "Bridge."
I guess you missed the part where I said that the MSF will be north of High Tech Road meaning the tracks will be there no matter what. Like this isn't a case of "Well the extension is easy let's extend the tracks a bit further", no. The tracks are there. Subway trains will already be passing by that area. All that needs to be done is you build a platform. Its completely different from extending tracks to 16th which would require purchasing more corridor space from CN, which would require purchasing new tracks, which would require extending electrification all the way there as well, and which would require building new grade separations (well you can extend the line to 16th without doing this but extending it to Major Mackenzie would require grade separating the Weldrick Road crossing). There is a time and place for slippery slope arguments, this isn't one of them.