Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

"The plan specifies that the three stations originally proposed as Cummer, Clark and Royal Orchard will not all be built."

Hopefully, provision will be made to "rough-in" sections where they can insert stations when a real transit-oriented government comes along... in a few decades (hopefully sooner).

Fine with it veering away from Yonge for the final stretch but hate that they are dropping two stations. Build it right damn it

Too many stations, too few... we never build it right.

Many, many many subway lines are dig underneath residential areas across the world (not directly under streets) with no noise/disruption issues at all. Whether that's Crossrail in London, Metro Tunnel in Melbourne or soon - the Ontario Line!

Residents have nothing to worry about.

No doubt. But you can understand how the initial reaction from residents will be to ask about this given how a) new it is b) unusual it is here.

"The plan specifies that the three stations originally proposed as Cummer, Clark and Royal Orchard will not all be built."

Hopefully, provision will be made to "rough-in" sections where they can insert stations when a real transit-oriented government comes along... in a few decades (hopefully sooner).

The language is perhaps a bit confusing if you read it quickly but I read that as:
Steeles, Bridge and High Tech are being built for sure. Likely only one of the other 3 is being built. I doubt they'll rough in anything but I'm sure they won't do anything that will prevent future station additions.

Full business case is here rather than just the summary. The Option 1 and 2 maps are below, too.

Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 15.39.50.png
Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 15.39.56.png
Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 15.42.34.png
And a zoomed in thing showing the three variations in Richmond Hill.

(Bridge and High Tech are very, very silly station names, wow)

Not for most of that length.

Unless you're intending to go directly over Yonge, and even then, its problematic.

This is what its the way of an elevated alignment.

View attachment 306437

The the massive M2M development:

View attachment 306438

Then this one:

View attachment 306439

A good chunk more of the land has already been upzoned for high density with approved plans.

Putting elevated tracks over the level'ish sections of Yonge would be feasible; but room for stations would be problematic without shadowing the entire roadway. Making it unlikely to receive support.

Looks like there is room for a station at SW corner of Yonge/Steeles and at SE intersection of Yonge/Clark for stations.

If we are spending $500M per station, maybe above ground would provide meaningful savings!

Looks like there is room for a station at SW corner of Yonge/Steeles and at SE intersection of Yonge/Clark for stations.

If we are spending $500M per station, maybe above ground would provide meaningful savings!

The zoning on the S/W corner of Yonge/Steeles is already high density, the land would not come cheap.

Full business case is here rather than just the summary. The Option 1 and 2 maps are below, too.

View attachment 306441View attachment 306442View attachment 306443 And a zoomed in thing showing the three variations in Richmond Hill.

(Bridge and High Tech are very, very silly station names, wow)
Yet, we have a Dupont station, which means "Of the bridge" in French.

Yes, it would be silly to stay on the same train from Pioneer Village to High Tech, while passing Dupont and Bridge.

And the associated blog post with today's news.

Metrolinx really showing great restraint here in the tooting of their amazing work.

"The Yonge North Subway Extension will bring a world-class level of convenience and a better quality of life to the communities it serves."

On the last pages of the Business case - Appendix 1 Preliminary Stations Analysis
  • Clark Station performs the best relative to Cummer and Royal Orchard station, where the expected Pre-BCRs indicate benefits exceeds the costs regardless of tunneling methods.
  • Cummer Station performs well also, where the expected Pre-BCRs indicate benefits exceed the costs regardless of tunneling technology.
  • Royal Orchard Station does not perform as well as the other stations, and in all circumstances, the costs far outweigh the benefits to the station.

I'm sure everyone who followed the Vaughan extension remembers that you don't have to lock the names of the stations until like 6 months before opening (slight hyperbole).

I really don't know why you wouldn't call Bridge, Langstaff (or High Tech, Richmond Hill Centre) but no one asked me. Still plenty of time to pick something sassy and my money is on both changing sooner rather than later.

And per above, that Clark has the best objective numbers doesn't surprise me. Whether that means it gets added in, who knows?

Back