News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 829     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 547     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I imagine there's a technical reason why traditional air conditioning units can't be used on the Montreal Metro. Perhaps it has to do with the same reasons that they do not have A/C on the London tubes either, since a lot of the same traits apply - deep level bored tunnels, less ventilation, more compact trains, less space in the tunnel to disperse heat these units would generate.

Last edited:
It does get hot in Montreal. I am shocked the new trains wont have A/C. On a side note, anyone know if the new Toronto rocket trains will have the same annoying break squeal as the T1s have? I really hope the new trains offer a quieter ride. The T1s have been really loud lately.
At the press conference for the unveiling of the new trains a few weeks ago, they said that the new Toronto Rocket will not have the annoying break squeal.

LOL... my comment wasn't meant to offend...I was just being a little sarcastic....and to add a little more sarcasm, we as humans lived for thousands of years without A/C, why do people act like they have to have A/C all the time? Has anybody ever considered it is a $$$$$ issue? If it was something like 200 cars without A/C for the same price as 150 with A/C, in such hard financial times as these, the decision is easy.
Besides I thought summer only visited Toronto and the rest of Canada lives under a blanket of snow and ice. (jokes lol)

It's about making the service comfortable for customers. Why are you so anti-customer?

What does any of this have to do with the subject of this thread - NEW TTC Subway Cars.??????? Speculation and chatter about the air conditioning of another province's subway cars belong's elsewhere. Don't ask me where, just elsewhere.

Well there is that MR-08 thread I made, but I guess Montreal not being in the Centre of the Universe, not much notice was taken here. ;-)

I see nothing wrong with discussing Montreal's new trains in comparison to ours. If it was New York or Tokyo, it might not be so relevant. But Montreal's metro is the closest subway to us.

At the press conference for the unveiling of the new trains a few weeks ago, they said that the new Toronto Rocket will not have the annoying break squeal.

It's more than just annoying. Sometimes the squeal hits decibels that I suspect can cause hearing damage. I'm curious if anyone has ever measured it.

That's not true. Cleveland is about 50 km closer than Montreal is. Even more so, Buffalo has the LRT system with a subway section.

Okay maybe not geographically. But culturally. Montreal is closest to us than, well, any other city with a subway in the world.

The new Rocket will have the same outside width as the old subway cars: 3.134 m (10' 3 3/8") wide.

For comparison, New York City subway cars are: 3.0 m (10') (BMT/IND) wide or 2.67 m (8' 9") (IRT) wide.

The new light rail vehicles are 2.65 m wide.

The new streetcars are 2.591 m wide.

The Montreal Metro cars are 2.5 m (8' 2.4") wide.

The new Rocket will have the same outside width as the old subway cars: 3.134 m (10' 3 3/8") wide.

For comparison, New York City subway cars are: 3.0 m (10') (BMT/IND) wide or 2.67 m (8' 9") (IRT) wide.

The new light rail vehicles are 2.65 m wide.

The new streetcars are 2.591 m wide.

The Montreal Metro cars are 2.5 m (8' 2.4") wide.

I'm confused, I thought the "street cars" and LRVs are the same to promote uniformity of Toronto's LRV rolling stock?

I'm confused, I thought the "street cars" and LRVs are the same to promote uniformity of Toronto's LRV rolling stock?

No, they are very similar, but not the same. In addition to the dimensions listed above, TC cars are going to be standard gauge while rest of the legacy system is TTC gauge. So you won't be able to switch a TC vehicle right on to a legacy line.

Back