649     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 482     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 521     0 

TTC Taxis

J

jozl

I would like to see a model based on combining the TTC with a very large taxi service.
I think Toronto taxis are too expensive, too big, and too few. So, I've been wondering if it's feasible to some how combine taxi service to the TTC. What if the TTC purchased a fleet of say 1,000 small, hybrid or electric cars and leased them out to taxi companies. The taxis would operate within a flat rate zone system and offer reduced rates for people that just need to be dropped off at subway or other mass transit stations. There would need to be a public/private financial model worked out. The taxi service would act as a feeder service for the TTC as well as a short commuter service within the GTA. It could all be monitored with GPS systems and fees could vary depending on number of zones travelled, or credited toward your TTC fare.
I realize there would be huge obstacles to overcome like the TTC unions and Taxi company concerns but I'm still very curious. It seems these two separate systems– the TTC with well paid union staff and taxi companies with poorly paid employees and entrepreneurial owners– could, if combined, be much greater than the sum of its parts.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Is this at all viable?

It's funny, because I read a story recently (I think it was in Toronto Life) that basically said that Toronto has too many cabs and that cabbies (even the ones that own their own cabs) are barely able to make a living with prices as they are.

The city added something like 500 new 'Ambassador' taxi licenses (licenses that only the actual taxi driver can own) all at once and changed the rules governing the old licenses...apparently it's a good move for the system in the long run, but in the short run it added a bunch more taxis to the streets when there wasn't a demand for them, so cabbies are having a harder time finding fares.

I used to think Toronto had a overpriced system until I travelled around...London has a great system and really knowledgeable cabbies, but you pay an arm and a leg for a ride. Cabs in other cities (like Athens and, surprisingly, Amsterdam) are just as likely to rip you off as charge the correct fare.

Overall I'm fairly happy with the system in Toronto. The only things I would improve are the knowledge of the cabbies (it's generally good but could be better), a guarantee that they will speak english (I think they're suppoed to, but clearly no one is enforcing this rule), and a rule that they have to take you wherever you want to go. I don't think introducing unions into the taxi system would make the taxis any less expensive or more efficient, that's for sure.

I don't think we need the TTC in the taxi business.

But I would love to see some other company or agencies set up a system of share-taxis (jitneys) in Toronto.

That would accomplish what you are talking about, at similar cost. And it would complement, rather than compete head-on with, existing transit options (private cars, and mass transit).

I'm not sure it would work. Getting dropped off at a subway station is probably cheaper than driving the full distance for many rides on the current taxi system but I'm not sure how frequently it happens.

Re: TTC Taxis/Minibuses

I agree that jitneys/minibuses/maxicabs would be much better than conventional taxis. Minibuses/maxicabs would be perfect for community routes and routes that serve non-main thoroughfare streets (like Rosedale, Van Horne, Huntingwood, etc.), which the regular buses that currently operating on them are probably too big and too slow for.

That's an interesting idea -- replace scheduled buses on certain low-volume routes with share-taxis? In age of cell phones, might work well.

I know that some of the YRT routes in Markham used to, at least, do something along these lines. Is it similar? And did it (does it, if still going) work well?

Cummer is actually a lot busier than you'd think (crush loads during rush hour, etc.). A jitney would work east of Don Mills (a motorcycle with sidecar would work east of Kennedy) but regular buses are needed all day long west of there. St. Andrews, Middlefield, etc., are others that small buses could work on.

I like this idea, but I wouldn't want the TTC in the taxi business either. They already have enough on their plate.

However, a system of clean, green GPS enabled taxis managed by the Greater Toronto Transportation Authority fits in with the plan to organize, inter-connect and improve transportation in the GTA.

I also like the idea of having a special standard car for taxis. It should be large enough to carry 4 people in the back or 3 people and a wheel chair (with retractable seats) and leave the driver isolated from the passenger cabin (for saftey).

I like this:
norm_0_orig.jpg

norm_3_orig.jpg

norm_1_orig.jpg

norm_2_orig.jpg

norm_4_orig.jpg

norm_5_orig.jpg

There something to be said for the TTC bringing back smaller buses for some routes. They could be either 30-foot buses or even minibuses.

I'm thinking of routes like Cummer, Silver Hills, the 172 to Cherry Beach (for the time being), among others. It would be especially useful if it made it possible for routes that are currently operated only during the day or rush hours to be converted into full-service routes.

That's a very cool-looking vehicle, but 4 people seems a bit low to me -- I think you'd want extended vans or something to make it worthwhile.

I am still not sure on where these could fit in vis-a-vis the TTC. Would they replace bus service on low-volume routes? Or would they act in parallel to the TTC service and, as such, end up competing on some routes?

I don't know the right answer -- network engineering likes redundancy, but competing services might end up in noone making money -- but wonder if anyone has any experience with New York's dollar vans. The competition issue aside, and it is a tricky one, there is something appealing about a more self-organizing system of vans that would supplement the TTC etc. and make us less dependent on it in case of transit strikes.

I'd like to see TTC acquire more of the community bus size buses. All bus routes should have a 20 minute maximum wait and if a 40 foot bus can't support it a minibus should be used.

I would use them particularly in North York to support the Sheppard line such as at Bessarion as the streetscape doesn't support good lateral bus routes - ironically if it was extended further east there are plenty of straight, bus friendly north-south roads. Also, they could run at night to provide more frequent service or new Blue routes.

TTC always claim they cost too much to run but I think if enough were bought to create a critical mass they would fill a valuable niche.

As for TTC taxis - they kinda already exist - it's called Wheel-Trans, albeit that it's aimed at a specific section of the community.

How could Taxis integrate with the TTC? With the GTTA creating a governing body -- which would impose standards but allow current taxi companies to run independently -- riders could use the new fare card to pay for the taxi run and perhaps receive a discount (or free ride) on the TTC.

This could be implemented via the computerized nature of the fare card. Ride a taxi which drops you off at a subway station. If you swipe your fare card to enter the subway within 5 minutes of paying your cab fare, you get in free (or at a reduced rate). This encourages people to use the subway where available and taxis for areas of reduced service.

Such an idea could save the TTC boat loads of cash by eliminating service in areas where it simply isn't profitable, allowing the surplus of Taxis in the city now to capitalize and become useful while contributing to the economy.

Because these taxis would be governed by standards attributed by the GTTA, the vehicles wouldn't necessarily contribute to an increase in gas guzzlers. Taxi companies would be required to transition to specific car models as they replace their aging fleet.

This model could be implemented within 4 or 5 years and mature over the remainder of the decade as new cabs are purchased and TTC priorities change.

Back