News   Sep 28, 2021
 275     0 
News   Sep 27, 2021
 3.4K     4 

TTC: Streetcar Network

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yes but it's not the power rails that are the problem it's the induction plates that run down the middle of the tracks for the liner induction motors.
The power rails are absolutely the problem. They've been the problem since before the line opened.

The design of the power rails on the ICTS system - sideways contact versus top-running on a rail, and a long slider versus a short and stiff "shoe" - has always been far, far more susceptible to icing and inclement weather - even severe rain - than the subway has been.

Dan

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
If I were dictator...

I would change some of the 9nn express bus routes into 5nn express streetcar/light rail routes.

Don't the express buses tend to use the middle or left lanes? Don't the streetcars use the middle or left lanes?

The express streetcars would use the left lanes anyways, stopping at the express streetcar stops. Would be better for them to use a right-of-way, but the pro-automobile powers-that-be won't go with that. While "mixed traffic", the express streetcar will still be able to pass the "local" buses.

For example, the 29 Dufferin bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 529 Dufferin streetcar would service the express streetcar stops. The 52 Lawrence West bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 552 Lawrence West streetcar would service the express streetcar stops. The 95 York Mills bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 595 York Mills streetcar would service the express streetcar stops.

However, the automobile god disciples will not hear of that. That would greatly upset their deities. Kneel before the car.
Kneel_Before_Zod_small.jpg
From link.

H4F33Z

Member Bio
Reaction score
If I were dictator...

I would change some of the 9nn express bus routes into 5nn express streetcar/light rail routes.

Don't the express buses tend to use the middle or left lanes? Don't the streetcars use the middle or left lanes?

The express streetcars would use the left lanes anyways, stopping at the express streetcar stops. Would be better for them to use a right-of-way, but the pro-automobile powers-that-be won't go with that. While "mixed traffic", the express streetcar will still be able to pass the "local" buses.

For example, the 29 Dufferin bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 529 Dufferin streetcar would service the express streetcar stops. The 52 Lawrence West bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 552 Lawrence West streetcar would service the express streetcar stops. The 95 York Mills bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 595 York Mills streetcar would service the express streetcar stops.

However, the automobile god disciples will not hear of that. That would greatly upset their deities. Kneel before the car.
From link.
I don't remember Lawrence and York Mills having streetcar tracks.

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
If I were dictator...

From link.
MIght as well just build a tramway/LRT with a dedicated ROW and wider stop spacing...

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't remember Lawrence and York Mills having streetcar tracks.
That's because the TTC made the mistake of NOT extending its streetcar network beyond the old City of Toronto boundaries (fare zone 1). They were taken in by the 1950's bus company propaganda that buses the future for public transit, when it wasn't.

DirectionNorth

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's because the TTC made the mistake of NOT extending its streetcar network beyond the old City of Toronto boundaries (fare zone 1). They were taken in by the 1950's bus company propaganda that buses the future for public transit, when it wasn't.
So was everyone else; no North American city went without major challenges to its streetcar network. For once, Toronto-speed in transit saved the day.

Also, as the 1997 TTC report shows, traditional streetcars need high density to be a viable transport mode, something the suburbs do not have.

The trolleybus dismantling was a larger mistake, I think.

Last edited:

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
So was everyone else; no North American city went without major challenges to its streetcar network.

Also, as the 1997 TTC report shows, traditional streetcars need high density to be a viable transport mode, something the suburbs do not have.

The trolleybus dismantling was a larger mistake, I think.
In the 1950's, the suburban townships of Toronto were building some apartment buildings, but avoided putting in medium residential density. Along with zoning which segregated commercial from residential, resulting in the automobile lifestyle of the suburbs. Instead of walking from a transit stop, doing your shopping errands, and getting home, suburbanites get home and drive to do their errands.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Meanwhile, the longest tram line the world.

The Coastal Tram(Kusttram) is a tram line alongside the Belgian coast, with it's nordic terminus Knokke 7 kilometers from the Dutch border and it's southern terminus De Panne 2,5 kilometers from the French border it is the longest tram line in the world.

Maximum speed: 70 km/h
Length: 67 kilometers
Stops: 68

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Meanwhile, the longest tram line the world.

The Coastal Tram(Kusttram) is a tram line alongside the Belgian coast, with it's nordic terminus Knokke 7 kilometers from the Dutch border and it's southern terminus De Panne 2,5 kilometers from the French border it is the longest tram line in the world.

Maximum speed: 70 km/h
Length: 67 kilometers
Stops: 68

This thread is entitled TTC Streetcar Network. How does this post even tangentially fit here? I like many of your posts but let's try to avoid going totally 'off route"!

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This thread is entitled TTC Streetcar Network. How does this post even tangentially fit here? I like many of your posts but let's try to avoid going totally 'off route"!
For comparison purposes. 67 kilometres would run from the border with Pickering to the border of Burlington. We could have a streetcar running along "Highway 2" (Kingston Road/Queen Street, Lake Shore Blvd., etc.) between or even beyond.