News   Mar 28, 2024
 951     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 538     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 833     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

The east side of the Sheppard extension was on the Fall mini-budget. Undoubtedly somebody is working behind the scenes. The real question is what will happen with the Sheppard West to Sheppard-Yonge portion. Willowdale councillor Lily Cheng campaigned on that extension and won. I can't imagine it not being built at the same time as the Scarborough-Sheppard subway.
Could it be one is city-led and the other province-led?

Could it be one is city-led and the other province-led?
The Sheppard West extension is not a provincial plan at all for now. Only Sheppard East is. And I have a feeling that the Market Updates will not have any update on the Sheppard East extension for a couple of years, and it will be a campaign promise for the next election. I hope I'm wrong.

I've read the comments that work is being done behind the scenes on it and about the gossip/speculation. I just have a hard time believing that *meaningful* work is being done at the moment to bring this to reality.

I've read the comments that work is being done behind the scenes on it and about the gossip/speculation. I just have a hard time believing that *meaningful* work is being done at the moment to bring this to reality.
Wasn't that the point of last week's funding announcement? That they were funding the meaningful work (the design, etc.).

Whether they are already doing meaningful work, 8 days later, I don't know ...

Personally I think this is a great line and probably the most important line needed that's not already underway.

Having a east west line on

Lakeshore East (GO)
Danforth
Eglinton
and Sheppard

would cover almost all major roads in Scarborough and give the residents a way in and out of the downtown core on several different major routes via Trams or Trains, whichever is the proper word here

Metrolinx' mandate is commuter rail, and they're lagging there.
Metrolinx's mandate was extended beyond commuter rail under McGuinty.

They are currently building or designing ten different LRT and subway expansion projects in the GTHA - six of which are already under construction. In another decade they'll be moving more subway and LRT passengers than commuter rail passengers a day.

And they are designing BRT lines now as well.

I have a feeling they will not bring this east enough. They're gonna terminate it at stc or McCowan, when it needs to go to at least Markham, preferably Morningside.

When they announced the extension of Line 2 to Sheppard and McCowan, I assumed that was to be the terminus of any future Line 4 extension. I think anyone expecting this to be extended into Malvern in one phase will be disappointed. That would be 11 km, all underground. That's longer than the tunneled section of the crosstown!

Back