News   Mar 28, 2024
 97     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 563     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 357     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

or... crazy idea, it goes to Sheppard-McCowan AND Scarborough Centre! definitely an expensive option but if it's run elevated (maybe down the Stouffville corridor and old SRT corridor) I don't see why they can't run every other train to Scarborough Centre, and the rest to Sheppard-McCowan and eventually Malvern. I mean no government here would ever do that but if construction costs calm down a bit I can see how this option could be really useful. It'd be nice if they left provisions to head down to STC when they build out to (I'm assuming) Sheppard-McCowan. Kind of like the provisions for a Bremer Streetcar at Union Station., just to leave options open.

or... crazy idea, it goes to Sheppard-McCowan AND Scarborough Centre! definitely an expensive option but if it's run elevated (maybe down the Stouffville corridor and old SRT corridor) I don't see why they can't run every other train to Scarborough Centre, and the rest to Sheppard-McCowan and eventually Malvern. I mean no government here would ever do that but if construction costs calm down a bit I can see how this option could be really useful. It'd be nice if they left provisions to head down to STC when they build out to (I'm assuming) Sheppard-McCowan. Kind of like the provisions for a Bremer Streetcar at Union Station., just to leave options open.
I'd argue the cost-benefit ratio to make line 4 essentially part of line 2 is probably not worth the cost when a small transfer is available. That, and the fact line 4 and line 2 serve different functions (Sheppard has fewer stations but with more density, while Bloor is lower density more frequent stops).

I think that's a good idea. But going via STC and Ellesmere hits a lot more trip generators. Sheppard east of McCowan is low density and a lot of undevelopable land.

Markham and Sheppard has a bunch of high-rise that just went up, there's plenty of places along east of Sheppard that could be developed.

Diverting Sheppard to the STC makes no sense when there's a connection to STC being built at McCowan

Markham and Sheppard has a bunch of high-rise that just went up, there's plenty of places along east of Sheppard that could be developed.

Diverting Sheppard to the STC makes no sense when there's a connection to STC being built at McCowan
Which is why the Bloor Danforth should have ended at the mall like planned and not Sheppard.

So what's the recent Sheppard Subway report say with regards to routing options, costing, ridership, mobility, growth?

Has there been a report, or are we still cloak and dagger Metrolinx-PC party hush hush? Sheppard extension has been little more than a vague line on a map for quite awhile now.

Which is why the Bloor Danforth should have ended at the mall like planned and not Sheppard.
Why? Sheppard is a perfectly reasonable end point for the line - especially since its a street that is constantly targetted as a major arterial for transport. Even without the subway there is still the Sheppard East LRT, so extending the subway there is a no brainer. Wynne era future maps that show lines like these give me an aneurysm:
1652417916546.png

I think that's a good idea. But going via STC and Ellesmere hits a lot more trip generators. Sheppard east of McCowan is low density and a lot of undevelopable land.
If it's so undeveloped then it should be easier to build an extension with far more flexibility on what form it takes and probably cheaper too.

No more than eg west. It won't be extended east. The inanity of network planning in GTA transit continues.

Why? Sheppard is a perfectly reasonable end point for the line - especially since its a street that is constantly targetted as a major arterial for transport. Even without the subway there is still the Sheppard East LRT, so extending the subway there is a no brainer. Wynne era future maps that show lines like these give me an aneurysm:
View attachment 400027
I don't disagree with your analysis. My issue is that yet another terminal made the Bloor Danforth extension more expensive. You many be right about connectivity, but what was cheaper? Sheppard crossing the 401 or another Kennedy style terminal at Sheppard between STC and Unionville?

I don't disagree with your analysis. My issue is that yet another terminal made the Bloor Danforth extension more expensive. You many be right about connectivity, but what was cheaper? Sheppard crossing the 401 or another Kennedy style terminal at Sheppard between STC and Unionville?
Cheaper? Probably Sheppard staying on Sheppard if we're being honest.

It would be cheaper to drop in a separate, fully elevated line from Don Mills through STC (or McCowan if you insist). If we're forcing a transfer anyway.

It would be cheaper to drop in a separate, fully elevated line from Don Mills through STC (or McCowan if you insist). If we're forcing a transfer anyway.

You know there's a massive difference between forcing a transfer on a route some people are going on, vs forcing a transfer on a route most people are going on. Stop trying to equate the two transfers.

You know there's a massive difference between forcing a transfer on a route some people are going on, vs forcing a transfer on a route most people are going on. Stop trying to equate the two transfers.
All transfers are the same according to people in this city. That's their fault. Designing for lack of transfers is bad practice but it's what we do because of some of the people here.

There's a 2km right-of-way set aside for elevated grade-separated transit through Scarb Ctr, and a lot more development planned for Scarb Ctr that could be leveraged. Not unlike the kind you claim makes transit free in other threads.

No offense, but it kinda sounds like your not "being honest" in the slightest, rather blindly supporting whatever the Ford government supports. Even if it's just an extremely vague line on a map like it is in this situation.

Back