News   Apr 19, 2024
 296     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 545     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 910     3 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

You think the Liberals will bite on this project?

This project is more than likely coming; irrespective of the party in power.

The real question is one of timing.

For a variety of reasons, the machinery of government has deemed this a legitimate, priority investment.

But it still has to compete with a few other priorities.

Its also probably the single largest project w/o funding yet attached from the provincial perspective.

(Sheppard West to link to Wilson Yard; Sheppard East to McCowan, plus conversion of the existing stations to six car train (mostly just fit and finish, the boxes and platforms are there)

But its a big investment.

I would imagine it will be chunked, but we'll see.

For a variety of reasons, the machinery of government has deemed this a legitimate, priority investment.
I swear I read a tweet somewhere or heard in a video that there is definite interest in getting Sheppard going. I would have thought any rapid transit to Malvern would take priority (regardless of whether it's BRT, surface LRT or light metro) given the number of neighbourhood improvement areas the line is running through, but that seems to be searching for funding right now.

I swear I read a tweet somewhere or heard in a video that there is definite interest in getting Sheppard going. I would have thought any rapid transit to Malvern would take priority (regardless of whether it's BRT, surface LRT or light metro) given the number of neighbourhood improvement areas the line is running through, but that seems to be searching for funding right now.

The compelling case(s) are to the east, based on known and not yet public proposals serving the nodes at Victoria Park and then again at Kennedy.

There is no near-term case for east of Kennedy. * (excepting what I write in the last line below)

The case from a passenger perspective for going west is less compelling to say the least.

However, the line needs a connection to Wilson Yard or an entirely new rail yard somewhere else.

There are 2 practical choices; one is the link to Wilson, the other is buying a portion of CP's yard up at McCowan (they have room to spare); but you have to buy that, and build the connection to it as well.

Last edited:
The compelling case(s) are to the east, based on known and not yet public proposals serving the nodes at Victoria Park and then again at Kennedy.

There is no near-term case for east of Kennedy. * (excepting what I write in the last line below)

The case from a passenger perspective for going west is less compelling to say the least.

However, the line needs a connection to Wilson Yard or an entirely new rail yard somewhere else.

There are 2 practical choices; one is the link to Wilson, the other is buying a portion of CP's yard up at McCowan (they have room to spare); but you have to buy that, and build the connection to it as well.

If they proceed, is it certain that they use the conventional TTC subway trains? Any chance of converting to OL style light metro?

If this line is converted to light metro, it will be easier to extend further. Eventually it could link to Lakeshore East in the east, and the Brampton - Georgetown RER in the west, or maybe reach Pearson.

If they proceed, is it certain that they use the conventional TTC subway trains? Any chance of converting to OL style light metro?

Very little.

Remember, that would entail a host of expensive changes. First, that rules out using Wilson Yard.

Second, that means re-gauging all the existing track, and possibly modifying existing platforms/stations too.

Third, that's definitely not what's being looked at now, to my understanding.

You may see a new light-metro project elsewhere, but not in this corridor, I don't believe.

Edit to add:

Sheppard going west of Line 1's western branch isn't on anyone's radar so far as I'm aware.

But it still has to compete with a few other priorities.

Its also probably the single largest project w/o funding yet attached from the provincial perspective.

(Sheppard West to link to Wilson Yard; Sheppard East to McCowan, plus conversion of the existing stations to six car train (mostly just fit and finish, the boxes and platforms are there)

But its a big investment.

I would imagine it will be chunked, but we'll see.
Certainly no chance this decade. 2030s at the earliest.

In my fantasy, if they proceed with that, they might as well work out a plan to bring the line to Malvern utilizing portion of the rail corridor.

Very little.

Remember, that would entail a host of expensive changes. First, that rules out using Wilson Yard.

Second, that means re-gauging all the existing track, and possibly modifying existing platforms/stations too.

Third, that's definitely not what's being looked at now, to my understanding.

You may see a new light-metro project elsewhere, but not in this corridor, I don't believe.

Edit to add:

Sheppard going west of Line 1's western branch isn't on anyone's radar so far as I'm aware.

I'm glad to hear this. To spend gobs of money to reduce existing transit capacity in a rapidly growing city is illogical to me.

I'm glad to hear this. To spend gobs of money to reduce existing transit capacity in a rapidly growing city is illogical to me.
Going from Sheppard subway tech to Ontario subway like tech would be a minimal drop in overall capacity (in fact, it would be a significant increase over the line today), but would likely allow the line to be delivered at a fraction of the cost as much more of it could be elevated. That is if the City has the stomach for an elevated line along Sheppard, as well.

Back