News   Apr 25, 2024
 174     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 417     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Clearly nothing is drop into place plug and play, but there is definitely a standard for Light Metros that has become normalized and thats standard US rail gauge, 1500v DC overhead panto, with the IEEE 1474 standard for train control communications. Stick to that and it will be a lot easier for other manufacturers to bid on future work.

Of all the train systems out there, the concept of "light metro" seems the least standard and most vague. At least that's been my takeaway. The concept is open to interpretation, companies selling all kinds of *solutions* for your city's rapid transit ails. I love the concept of a intermediary capacity subway line, but 'definitely a standard' for light metro?

Of all the train systems out there, the concept of "light metro" seems the least standard and most vague. At least that's been my takeaway. The concept is open to interpretation, companies selling all kinds of *solutions* for your city's rapid transit ails. I love the concept of a intermediary capacity subway line, but 'definitely a standard' for light metro?
As I've said previously it only seems that way because there are a lot of strange technologies that get lumped under the umbrella of light metro that dilute the playing field. There is definitely a "standard off the shelf Light Metro design" similar to LFLRVs however.

As I've said previously it only seems that way because there are a lot of strange technologies that get lumped under the umbrella of light metro that dilute the playing field. There is definitely a "standard off the shelf Light Metro design" similar to LFLRVs however.

And? My belief is that there isn't. Just the term light metro itself is fairly new and open to interpretation.

And? My belief is that there isn't. Just the term light metro itself is fairly new and open to interpretation.

The term is vague but like I said, the majority of new metro style transit systems being built right now are US standard rail guage, high floor, wheel powered system, 1500 dc overhead and IEEE 1474 signaling standard. You can call it whatever you want, but if you stick to this formula you will have the most success for interoperability and cross manufacturing etc.

Your belief simply is wrong. You can believe what you want but what I said is a fact.

That term "light metro" is a wide open interpretation as what it really is by the planners, consultations and systems. Its more of a NA term as what it maybe that what it is. One can say Ottawa is a light metro than an LRT line as well the Crosstown Line.

Its also away of getting around using LRT/Streetcars/Trams for what been proposed to be built. People still think streetcars are something from the past especially the car folks when the new style doesn't match them. Using 66' LRV is a lot different than 100' LRV since 66' was most common used in the past like the PCC.

The different starts with the width of the car and the length of it as well how many cars can be made into one train.

I don't class Skytrain, REM or the SRT as light metro due to the narrow body and length of the train as well carrying capacity where others will.

The term is vague but like I said, the majority of new metro style transit systems being built right now are US standard rail guage, high floor, wheel powered system, 1500 dc overhead and IEEE 1474 signaling standard. You can call it whatever you want, but if you stick to this formula you will have the most success for interoperability and cross manufacturing etc.

Your belief simply is wrong. You can believe what you want but what I said is a fact.

There still is no standard light metro. Never said majority of new subway systems aren't built with high floor. But capacities, brought about by length and sometimes width, that's for the most part what the word light would denote.

That term "light metro" is a wide open interpretation as what it really is by the planners, consultations and systems. Its more of a NA term as what it maybe that what it is. One can say Ottawa is a light metro than an LRT line as well the Crosstown Line.

Its also away of getting around using LRT/Streetcars/Trams for what been proposed to be built. People still think streetcars are something from the past especially the car folks when the new style doesn't match them. Using 66' LRV is a lot different than 100' LRV since 66' was most common used in the past like the PCC.

The different starts with the width of the car and the length of it as well how many cars can be made into one train.

I don't class Skytrain, REM or the SRT as light metro due to the narrow body and length of the train as well carrying capacity where others will.

Crosstown I wouldn't, but Skytrain and Line 3 yes. But even then it's broad because there are older systems running 60m trains that no one would bat an eye in defining as quintessential "heavy" metro. Widths are interesting and coming in all sizes. Difficult to make something off-the-shelf in that regard.

From the Aug 19, 2021 Metrolinx blog post announcing preparations for Scarborough Subway excavation.
Note the "Sheppard East Subway Extension" (map dated Feb 27, 2020).

Image-1.png

From the Aug 19, 2021 Metrolinx blog post announcing preparations for Scarborough Subway excavation.
Note the "Sheppard East Subway Extension" (map dated Feb 27, 2020).

Image-1.png
This map is nothing more than a political tool. Ford thanks you for helping him spread his transit propaganda!

I wonder if they even accommodate a Line 4 connection at Sheppard (East) Station.

---

The Agincourt GO Station grade separation is now a mistake as any subway to GO connection would be very deep with the roadway already dipping under the railway.

It wont matter as I doubt Sheppard East extension will be built in our lifetimes. Sheppard is not a priority corridor and isn't even close to being funded. It maybe reviewed in the next round of funding which will likely be by mid 2030's once the current slew of projects are done and open.

The Agincourt GO Station grade separation is now a mistake as any subway to GO connection would be very deep with the roadway already dipping under the railway.
Technically it is possible to build it above ground (above train tracks), sheppard is wide enough to accommodate it. However, it depends on Metrolinx to communicate with those living alone the line.

Noise is actually not a big deal after construction if the entire extension is cover by full sound barriers and noise absorption materials around the tracks.

It is more a blocking my view issue.

Technically it is possible to build it above ground (above train tracks), sheppard is wide enough to accommodate it. However, it depends on Metrolinx to communicate with those living alone the line.

Noise is actually not a big deal after construction if the entire extension is cover by full sound barriers and noise absorption materials around the tracks.

It is more a blocking my view issue.
I would expect with metrolinx new direction of using less tunneling with the yonge extension and ontario line, that Sheppard would be mostly elevated. And looking at the davenport grade separation heavy rail elevation can be done in an urban and attractive way.

Back