News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 446     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Chicago and New York are good example of elevated Metro Line as well how close and noisy they are to buildings as well being slow. The lines were built over narrow streets that did not allow for centre of the road support compare to the wide Sheppard Rd that would.

If I shoot Sheppard like I did in 2009 12 years ago, you will see very little in the way of new development to support the need for a subway over an LRT. There are a few new towers between 404 and Kennedy with a few on the board to be built like the plaza redevelopment at Kennedy that is still not enough for a subway.

The plan for the Sheppard LRT was to tunnel under the 404 and surface at Consumer as an LRT and using the south or north track at Don Mills platforms. You are far better off keeping it as a subway to Victoria Park where the LRT is on the surface and a new bus terminal are.
Why are we judging how well an elevated line would do based off infrastructure from the early 20th century? We have so many cities like Vancouver, Paris, Tokyo, and others that have built modern elevated metro systems that do not suffer from the noisiness or lack of speed that NYC and Chicago do, and we should be looking at those systems, not NYC which suffers from being extremely behind on maintenance and vital infrastructure upkeep work.

Indeed. If we are using LRT and forcing a transfer, why not just BRT?
The flexibility of BRT would make sense given the number of corridors in Scarborough that you would eventually want some kind of BRT infrastructure on (some just queue jump lanes, some full median BRT):
  • Sheppard (Victoria Park to Morningside)
  • Steeles (Young to McCowan)
  • Finch (Don Mills to McCowan)
  • Ellesmere (McCowan to Kingston Rd)
  • Lawrence (Don Mills to Kingston Rd)
  • Victoria Park (Sheppard to Eglinton)
  • Warden (Hwy 7 to Sheppard)
  • McCowan (Hwy 7 to Ellesmere)
If you overlay this with the line 2 extension and a frequent Stouffville line, you have a very complete rapid network.

The flexibility of BRT would make sense given the number of corridors in Scarborough that you would eventually want some kind of BRT infrastructure on (some just queue jump lanes, some full median BRT):
  • Sheppard (Victoria Park to Morningside)
  • Steeles (Young to McCowan)
  • Finch (Don Mills to McCowan)
  • Ellesmere (McCowan to Kingston Rd)
  • Lawrence (Don Mills to Kingston Rd)
  • Victoria Park (Sheppard to Eglinton)
  • Warden (Hwy 7 to Sheppard)
  • McCowan (Hwy 7 to Ellesmere)
If you overlay this with the line 2 extension and a frequent Stouffville line, you have a very complete rapid network.
The advantage of BRT being that would can actually afford it!

Yet they handle more of the TTC's overall ridership than the subway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They are third class because of stigma, not facts.

I don't think the government would want to present it though. "We know you made a ruckus about an LRT, so how bout a BRT instead". Seems a bit like a downgrade. And this after the Prov shot themselves in the foot promising a subway they can't deliver on.

Except that buses are a third class of public transit.
Not a helpful attitude. I feel like LRT is the ill-fitting mode in the middle. It isn't cheap and it isn't fast. At least buses are cheap and flexible. And real, grade separated rapid transit is actually fast. LRT feels like something where it makes sense in a very narrow range of circumstances.

I don't think the government would want to present it though. "We know you made a ruckus about an LRT, so how bout a BRT instead". Seems a bit like a downgrade. And this after the Prov shot themselves in the foot promising a subway they can't deliver on.
Maybe that can be managed by starting on the alignments that were never due to get subway/LRT and show what good quality, high service BRT can do. Should make it easier to sell for places like Sheppard. And the idea with Sheppard should be that it is interim solution until subway is extended in some form. Building LRT is saying we're going to permanently have a mediocre solution that will require a transfer.

Maybe that can be managed by starting on the alignments that were never due to get subway/LRT and show what good quality, high service BRT can do. Should make it easier to sell for places like Sheppard. And the idea with Sheppard should be that it is interim solution until subway is extended in some form. Building LRT is saying we're going to permanently have a mediocre solution that will require a transfer.

Ok well "interim" is a different discussion. And how interim are we talking here? The post I replied to showed some of the most beautiful BRT stations. Are they to be torn down in five years, or fifty?

Ok well "interim" is a different discussion. And how interim are we talking here? The post I replied to showed some of the most beautiful BRT stations. Are they to be torn down in five years, or fifty?
I don't think we need palatial BRT stations if Line 5 is stuck with glorified bus shelters. Some temperature controlled, fully enclosed shelters should be fine. Similar to what you find at GO stations.

Yet they handle more of the TTC's overall ridership than the subway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They are third class because of stigma, not facts.

Isn’t three quarters of Toronto third class?

in all seriousness I hate the bus and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone considering how busy the kiss and ride area is at suburban subway stations.

in all seriousness I hate the bus and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone considering how busy the kiss and ride area is at suburban subway stations.
Sitting on a bus making stops every 200m and constantly stuck in traffic sucks. An express bus with dedicated lanes and 400-500m stop spacing is similar to an LRT but on tires instead of rails

As someone who rides Viva Blue constantly, its fine. If you have an express bus with tight headways, limited stops, and dedicated lanes, its no worse than an LRT.

Back