News   Mar 28, 2024
 260     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 241     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 283     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

UP is an odd duck, it was built as such. The Pearson platform is tiny and cannot serve long trains, and the Pearson spur makes a tight curve just before it joins the Kitchener mainline. As a result, they have to keep the UP price high and not too attractive for everyday commuters. Otherwise the commuters would swarm the UP trains; Metrolinx is unable to run longer trains on this route.

So, looks like UP does not fit into any expansion plans unless Metrolinx decides to rebuild the spur.

It does depend what length of train they get, I measure the platform at Pearson as about 330 feet, so a three or four car unit will fit if it can handle the curves; neither would be a surprising size for individual EMU sets. A single unit still leaves it having to operate a separate service with capacity constraints, but it's not necessarily doomed to forever need a bespoke fleet if GO does do something to accommodate for high platforms (which Caltrain's fleet does).

Last edited:
Anything to the west beyond Sheppard West Stn and to the east beyond McCowan would be pure fantasy.

I always felt that the Sheppard subway should interline with the YUS at Sheppard West and terminate at York University in the west. Direct connection to Finch LRT and a major trip generator.

In the east, I think either Line 2 or Line 4 should terminate at Malvern Town Centre.

Those don't exactly sound like fantasies to me.

Anything to the west beyond Sheppard West Stn and to the east beyond McCowan would be pure fantasy.
If you use TR/tunnels, definitely. I would actually say that extending Sheppard at all as a subway is pure fantasy. Using a surface LRT to connect and serve the rest of Sheppard is probably what will eventually happen, but it is a pretty mediocre solution.

Last edited:
I always felt that the Sheppard subway should interline with the YUS at Sheppard West and terminate at York University in the west. Direct connection to Finch LRT and a major trip generator.

In the east, I think either Line 2 or Line 4 should terminate at Malvern Town Centre.

Interlining is worth consideration though I don't think absolutely necessary. But that's a bit different than building whole new tunnels further west.

Rapid transit to Malvern is important but I'm not convinced a Line 2 or Line 4 extension is the most appropriate. I would study these options along with various LRT modes (at-grade or elevated) and routes.

I view the top two priorities for Sheppard as Line 4 extensions to Sheppard West for better network connectivity and to Vic. Park to serve the Consumers Road business area. While I prefer at-grade LRT east of Vic. Park, I'm not against looking at incremental subway extensions to a) Agincourt GO station, and b) McCowan/Line 2 - provided there are comprehensive land use and transportation plans around these MTSAs.

I echo this. It would take a small period of adjustment for Torontonians to get used to an interlined route, but it does serve destinations with one ride better. Also, with all Line 1 trains not going up to VCC, I believe there is capacity here too.

I echo this. It would take a small period of adjustment for Torontonians to get used to an interlined route, but it does serve destinations with one ride better. Also, with all Line 1 trains not going up to VCC, I believe there is capacity here too.
> VCC

Damn that's a callback.

Can't we just say Vaughan Centre and leave it at that?

I think if we were to extend Line 4 eastwards, it should probably surface east of the 404. Have a station at Consumers/Brian and another one in between Vic Park and Pharmacy. Maybe have it terminate at Warden, redevelop the surface parking lots there, and have another eastward extension in the future.

I live at Morningside and Lawrence and just recently found out that there is no longer express service from STC to don mills station.

So if I want to go to fairview mall, I have to go to Morningside and Sheppard, and then take the Sheppard bus from Morningside to don mills. That's like 1hr and half without ever seeing a ttc station or go station. No where else in the city can you travel 1hr and half by bus and not come across a station. Scarborough is an afterthought in this city in terms of almost everything

I live at Morningside and Lawrence and just recently found out that there is no longer express service from STC to don mills station.

So if I want to go to fairview mall, I have to go to Morningside and Sheppard, and then take the Sheppard bus from Morningside to don mills. That's like 1hr and half without ever seeing a ttc station or go station. No where else in the city can you travel 1hr and half by bus and not come across a station. Scarborough is an afterthought in this city in terms of almost everything

I'm pretty sure the cancellation of the 985A is due to covid...

You will see Agincourt GO station on Sheppard between Midland and Kennedy.

I really don't see the appeal of interlining at Sheppard W. It makes building the interchange far more complex, makes for a worse service for southbound passengers and is a major operational impediment on the Spadina side where frequency is already about as high as feasible. There would have been a lot to be said for building the extension as part of Sheppard, but now it's done, a reverse branch at the north end of the YUS really doesn't seem to have anything that outweighs the operational and construction issues it creates in comparison to just building a quality transfer between two lines that already have very good frequency..

Back