News   Apr 23, 2024
 85     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 841     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 288     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

So wait, the majority here believe that the Sheppard line shouldn't be extended east ???
I doubt it. The question is more how far east to extend it. Even historically many who favoured LRT, favoured at least extending it under the 404 to Victoria Park, before it dived south of the 401.

Now that they've moved away from that plan, and staying on a dense corridor, another 5 km or so to McCowan makes a bit more sense. I don't see it going all the way to Meadowvale though.

I do strongly think this line needs to get built. Already very high density near Victoria Park with no rapid transit due to the uncoordinated planning process. Do it incrementally and build elevated!

Phase 1: Extend to Kennedy-Agincourt GO (5 stops, 5km)
Phase 2: Extend to McCowan (3 stops, 2.5km)
Phase 3: Extend to Malvern Town Centre (2 stops, 4km)
Has to go west as well. Need to fully utilize Sheppard West here.

I would also think that future extensions west should include as west as Keele, as Downsview Airport I heard is getting redeveloped at some point. It would push all the buses going to Sheppard West now make shorter and more localized services to a subway, and I would have it go on a straight axis, not following Sheppard Avenue's arc around the airport or straddle Line 1's trajectory, and maybe shallow up the tunnel and/or stations little. These 40m+ stations everyone's building are a drag. Save for water table and utility issues.

I could see some stop spacings come shorter (a la Line 2) within the area, where hopefully it's not just a dense condo and neighbourhood, but one filled with jobs in numerous sectors.

Biggest argument I had with others is this idea of the necessary connection with the Barrie GO line. The line could straddle a little ways to meet on the southern end of the station with a few hundred meters of covered walking, if it comes to it.

And I, for one, despite the lack of demand compared to available capacity at this time, I do not support mode changes along Sheppard with any extensions.

Also a difference of opinion as to how it should be extended: elevated heavy rail, conversion to OL type trains, running in the 401/SRT corridor to STC and/or Malvern etc
I strongly advocate for elevated, but the only way I see this as viable is if there is light Metro rolling stock to TTC gauge ordered to make building elevated less expensive...but I think we all know it'll be tunneled.

I strongly advocate for elevated, but the only way I see this as viable is if there is light Metro rolling stock to TTC gauge ordered to make building elevated less expensive...but I think we all know it'll be tunneled.
Not only will it be tunnelled, but we all know it will be deep bored like 20m+ underground.

I would also think that future extensions west should include as west as Keele, as Downsview Airport I heard is getting redeveloped at some point. It would push all the buses going to Sheppard West now make shorter and more localized services to a subway, and I would have it go on a straight axis, not following Sheppard Avenue's arc around the airport or straddle Line 1's trajectory, and maybe shallow up the tunnel and/or stations little. These 40m+ stations everyone's building are a drag. Save for water table and utility issues.

I could see some stop spacings come shorter (a la Line 2) within the area, where hopefully it's not just a dense condo and neighbourhood, but one filled with jobs in numerous sectors.

Biggest argument I had with others is this idea of the necessary connection with the Barrie GO line. The line could straddle a little ways to meet on the southern end of the station with a few hundred meters of covered walking, if it comes to it.

And I, for one, despite the lack of demand compared to available capacity at this time, I do not support mode changes along Sheppard with any extensions.
I would think you'd want to hit Jane, and therefore whatever higher-order transit eventually makes it up there.

Perhaps it could be done in phases such as this:

1. Elevated section built with STANDARD gauge high platform Light Metro from Don Mills to connect with Line 2 extension. Transfer at Don Mills. Rough in connection to Don Mills track underground.

2. When Line 4 needs track refurbishment, retrack at standard gauge and convert to Light Metro, connecting the two lines. Extend the Line 4 station platforms to their full length (currently they are walled off) and finish the Spanish solution at Yonge/Sheppard.

This will certainly strengthen the case for an eastern extension
https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2022/02/planning-future-scarborough-centre-one-tall-task
1645054719442.png

Attachments

• 1645054725272.png
    1645054725272.png
    851.2 KB · Views: 72
Perhaps it could be done in phases such as this:

1. Elevated section built with STANDARD gauge high platform Light Metro from Don Mills to connect with Line 2 extension. Transfer at Don Mills. Rough in connection to Don Mills track underground.

2. When Line 4 needs track refurbishment, retrack at standard gauge and convert to Light Metro, connecting the two lines. Extend the Line 4 station platforms to their full length (currently they are walled off) and finish the Spanish solution at Yonge/Sheppard.
What's' the point of extending it at a difrent gauge? Also why would you want to waste money regaugue the existing line?

Back