News   Mar 05, 2021
 4.6K     9 
News   Mar 05, 2021
 584     0 
News   Mar 05, 2021
 2.1K     3 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Extension (Proposed)

jys

Member Bio
Reaction score
Third option is to use light metro tech Alstom Metropolis or like Ontario Line, re-use the tunnel sections and run any extensions elevated and at grade. It's not necessary to degrade the service all the way to low-floor LRT.
Of course you're right. With this light metro option, would it be fully segregated from traffic (elevated or at-grade with fly over/under) or would it simply have full priority (railroad-crossing style) at intersections?

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
I always felt that the Sheppard subway should interline with the YUS at Sheppard West and terminate at York University in the west. Direct connection to Finch LRT and a major trip generator.

In the east, I think either Line 2 or Line 4 should terminate at Malvern Town Centre.

Those don't exactly sound like fantasies to me.

I think it would make more sense to interline in such a way that goes south instead of north. Trains are being short-turned on the Spadina extension anyway, so why not have every 2nd train at Wilson head north to Vaughan, and the other head east along Sheppard? Passengers heading westbound east of Yonge would have the option to transfer to head downtown, or just stay on the train they're on.

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Of course you're right. With this light metro option, would it be fully segregated from traffic (elevated or at-grade with fly over/under) or would it simply have full priority (railroad-crossing style) at intersections?
Full separation would make sense, still metro after all.

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think it would make more sense to interline in such a way that goes south instead of north. Trains are being short-turned on the Spadina extension anyway, so why not have every 2nd train at Wilson head north to Vaughan, and the other head east along Sheppard? Passengers heading westbound east of Yonge would have the option to transfer to head downtown, or just stay on the train they're on.

For the riders, interlining either way would make sense. Maybe, even both ways: one Sheppard train goes to York U and Vaughan, next Sheppard trains heads downtown.

Adding the engineering perspective, interlining south is the only option that won't be ridiculously expensive. Line 1 runs on surface between Sheppard and Wilson, with plenty of room for portals, the southbound trains from Sheppard can be grade-separated from the northbound trains to Vaughan.

Interlining north will require messing with the existing tunnel that has entered service just a few years ago.

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Even if we found another $10-15B for transit investment, is extending Sheppard a good use of those funds?

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
Even if we found another $10-15B for transit investment, is extending Sheppard a good use of those funds?

Well what other subway proposals exist beyond the 4 current priority projects? Only Sheppard comes to mind, or maybe a short westerly extension of line 2.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score

If we found an additional $10B for transit, I'd use it to get through TTCs entire deferred SOGR list on the existing subway; like upgrading station fire systems, install platform doors, etc.

Best Use? Bringing GO structurally to 3 minute rush frequencies in inner portions of all GO owned lines. Actual service would reflect ridership but grade separations, signalling, platform capacity, etc. should be in place to make it possible. Phase B of this is tight integration with local transit (including fares) through the entire GTA. There's no reason why GO LakeShore, Milton, Stouffville, or Barrie should be less useful than TTC Line 1.

Last edited:

slapped_chicken

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well what other subway proposals exist beyond the 4 current priority projects? Only Sheppard comes to mind, or maybe a short westerly extension of line 2.

Beyond the 4 projects, there's two major projects that will be more urgent in the next round of expansion

-OL will need to be extended from Eglinton to Sheppard (Don Mills) as Line 1 will still be over capacity in the near future

-Line 2 requiring new trains and ATC as it approaches it's capacity

There's some other projects that have less priority like Eglinton East LRT to UTSC, and Finch LRT to either YYZ or Yonge. But whether those LRT extensions are more or less a better use of funds than a Line 4 extension, idk

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Beyond the 4 projects, there's two major projects that will be more urgent in the next round of expansion

-OL will need to be extended from Eglinton to Sheppard (Don Mills) as Line 1 will still be over capacity in the near future

There's some other projects that have less priority like Eglinton East LRT to UTSC, and Finch LRT to either YYZ or Yonge. But whether those LRT extensions are more or less a better use of funds than a Line 4 extension, idk

As new lines open up and ATC starts fully operating on the old lines, installation of platform screen doors are needed.

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score

In addition to the good suggestions made above, the 2041 RTP has a lot of proposed BRT/surface LRT across the region. $10B would go a long way to realizing those plans.

CaskoChan

Member Bio
Reaction score

A line 4 extension would go a long way.
Example, let's say I wanna go to Scarborough city center, and I'm coming from Vaughn, the current option for me is to go down to Eglinton west and then take line 5 to Kennedy, then board line 2 and go up north to my destination.

Now that's quite the distance travelled, but what if, line 4 went to Sheppard west, and took it to Scarborough city center skipping line 5 altogether.

Its not the most needed thing right now but it would definitely allow riders to have more options to get from A to B.

let me know what you think.

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
Example, let's say I wanna go to Scarborough city center, and I'm coming from Vaughn, the current option for me is to go down to Eglinton west and then take line 5 to Kennedy, then board line 2 and go up north to my destination.

Now that's quite the distance travelled, but what if, line 4 went to Sheppard west, and took it to Scarborough city center skipping line 5 altogether.

Its not the most needed thing right now but it would definitely allow riders to have more options to get from A to B.

A longer Sheppard line would create new fast connections, and certainly wouldn't be useless.

But there are multiple ways to spend the same amount and serve more riders. The Sheppard line being lateral, rather than carrying the riders towards downtown, will have modest ridership. The existing "stubway" only reaches 5.5K at peak, the longer line can get to 8K or maybe 10K. That's less than what the investment of that scale could add in other corridors: OL extended to Sheppard, better GO/RER, or a few light rail lines.

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score

That would be nice. :) Keep in mind that you still have to transfer to Line 2 due to the fact that the Sheppard Subway extension would terminate at Sheppard/McCowan. Not Scarborough City Centre.