News   Apr 16, 2024
 124     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

I haven't heard anything about Eglinton West lately. From the earlier work, the best Benefit - Cost ratio was for the fully grade-separated line.
If they put rational transit decisions first and do this, the stations will be about 1.0 km apart.

I haven't heard anything about Eglinton West lately. From the earlier work, the best Benefit - Cost ratio was for the fully grade-separated line.
If they put rational transit decisions first and do this, the stations will be about 1.0 km apart.

If they can't get rid of bus stops that are one short block apart because of the NIMBYs, you expect them to rid of mid-arterial LRT stops?

If they can't get rid of bus stops that are one short block apart because of the NIMBYs, you expect them to rid of mid-arterial LRT stops?

It might work on Eglinton West though. Not all neighborhoods are alike. The existing local ridership is low west of Jane, many people probably prefer to take an N-S bus down to BD line rather than crawl on #32 through the central part of Eglinton.

Thus, not that many riders will feel like they are losing anything of importance if they don't get a midblock stop. If a parallel local bus service is retained at a 15 min or 20 min frequency, they will have even fewer reasons to complain.

Easier to build less and add than build more and subtract.

That's not always the case - look at the Yonge subway. They were originally going to build North York Centre, Teddington Park and Glencairn/Blythwood stops. Those were taken out because of budget restraints, and as a result the TTC has to maintain a Yonge bus service at a net cost of $4.4 million per year. (https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Ridership_cost_statistics_for_bus_streetcar_routes_2012.pdf)

Acording to my estimates, such operation is not even physically possible. I'll use meters and seconds (that's easier), and then convert to kph at the end.

Max. comfortable acceleration / deceleration rate: 2 m/s^2 (20% of "g"). Speed profile and timing for a 500 m stop spacing:

a) First 100 m: accelerating from 0 to 20 m/s, takes 10 sec
b) Next 300 m: constant speed 20 m/s, takes 15 sec
c) Last 100 m: decelerating from 20 to 0 m/s, takes 10 sec

I chose 20 m/s (72 kph) as top speed, that value makes the calculations very easy; but we can take a somewhat different value and arrive to a similar result.

Total travel time between stops: 10 + 15 + 10 = 35 s
Time at stop: 30 s
Combined travel time and time at stop: 65 s

Average speed: 500 m / 65 s = 7.7 m/s, or 7.7 x 3.6 = 27.7 kph

The above calculation does not take into account any delays such as waiting at the red lights (even if Transit Signal Priority is in place, it can't guarantee 100% green on demand). Thus, the speed would be even a bit lower in practice; closer to 26 kph.

Looking from another angle, it is hard to imagine how a street-median line with 500 m stop spacing can be as fast as the fully separated BD line with 700 m stop spacing.

I don't know how they came up with 31 km/h. But their methodology is meticulously detailed in the EA. Perhaps they're not expecting passengers to request stop at each of the stops on Crosstown West.

That's not always the case - look at the Yonge subway. They were originally going to build North York Centre, Teddington Park and Glencairn/Blythwood stops. Those were taken out because of budget restraints, and as a result the TTC has to maintain a Yonge bus service at a net cost of $4.4 million per year. (https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Ridership_cost_statistics_for_bus_streetcar_routes_2012.pdf)
I though I read that residents did not want a stop at Glencairn cause they realized with a stop comes development

I though I read that residents did not want a stop at Glencairn cause they realized with a stop comes development

This was back before local communities could easily derail subway plans, like the east end did with the DRL. This was more like the Scarborough Subway Extension. The TTC originally proposed and had funding for (and on Yonge, started building) seven subway stops. The costs were growing though, and the two levels of government were under budget pressure, so 3/7 stops were axed. The only one that got built was a result of Mel Lastman's lobbying to build up North York Centre (which, frankly, has been an amazing success, even if it still needs improvement)

Blythwood definitely could be infilled in considering all the midrise, even a few highrise buildings along that stretch of Yonge.

A realigned 14 Glencairn bus could serve such a station and possibly a realigned 124 Sunnybrook bus, if Blythwood were to become a two-way street.

Glen Echo would also be a useful addition given how isolated that part of Yonge Street seems. And of course given the proximity of Doncliffe Loop, not much of a stretch to have 103 Mt Pleasant terminate at that new station.

A realigned 14 Glencairn bus could serve such a station and possibly a realigned 124 Sunnybrook bus, if Blythwood were to become a two-way street.

It'd be easier to just have the 14 turn down Duplex and head into the Yonge & Eg bus station. There will be tons of room left in that bus station after the Crosstown opens and it'd just be a 5-6 minute detour.

It'd be easier to just have the 14 turn down Duplex and head into the Yonge & Eg bus station. There will be tons of room left in that bus station after the Crosstown opens and it'd just be a 5-6 minute detour.

But the whole point of rejigging the 14 and 124 routes in the first place is to give the new station an influx of feeder traffic in addition to the immediate density surrounding the stop. Eglinton doesn't need assistance generating usage; it's already the busiest non-terminal or interchange station in the system.

Back