News   Apr 26, 2024
 520     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 382     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Yeah, Royson has never been a lefty. He's more of an urban centrist that can tilt a little past the centre in either direction now and again. You can find him hitching rides on both the St Clair streetcar and the gravy train.

Royson fancies himself a bit of an institution at city hall - he was tight with Mel, supportive of his accomplishments but light on his flaws, and had a lot of access to Lastman. During the majority of the 2003 campaign, Royson was tepid on Miller. But Royson was very angry when, after endorsing Miller in the final days of the 2003 mayor's race, Miller then subsequently ignored him. The reason he only flirted with Pitfield but openly endorsed Ford is that he knows you don't gain influence by promoting losing candidates.

The flip-flopping critique is small-minded and immature. I'm no Royson fan, but when the facts change most rational people change their minds. If he's willing to take the heat for perceiving to have made a mistake and is subsequently willing to change his opinion, all power to him.

Last edited:
That makes me think, perhaps the network can still be saved even in the Murray subway context; by building a shorter LRT route that starts at Scarborough Centre and goes to Centennial, Sheppard, and Malvern, pretty much like the eastern part of SLRT in the previous plan.

I've suggested this for a long time. Build the subway extension. Build BRT along Progress and maybe upgrade to LRT later.

That's a surprisingly good study for something done in no time. Makes you wonder why these projects have to take so long.

Before reading it, I thought this was a bad idea. Now I think it's a very, very bad idea. Practically everything from the SRT is demolished to provide less service than the old line, but without a transfer. What a waste of time, money, energy, and resources.

That's a surprisingly good study for something done in no time. Makes you wonder why these projects have to take so long.

Before reading it, I thought this was a bad idea. Now I think it's a very, very bad idea. Practically everything from the SRT is demolished to provide less service than the old line, but without a transfer. What a waste of time, money, energy, and resources.
Well people of Scarborough don't want an LRT, good luck building it there. You can't force something on them that they don't want. A subway will be built. This plan is better than what the city proposed. We can get to the Sheppard and have a station at Centennial College.

Well people of Scarborough don't want an LRT, good luck building it there. You can't force something on them that they don't want. A subway will be built. This plan is better than what the city proposed. We can get to the Sheppard and have a station at Centennial College.

They have been fed a load of BS by Ford and his buddies at the Toronto SUN,

I've always lived in Scarborough and I want the LRT, "People want subways" is just empty rhetoric and campaign sloganeering.

IF Stintz and Glen had kept their mouths shut and not used transit to add to their campaign literature we wouldn't have heard much about subways since council made its decision on Sheppard and this LRT would be proceeding as planned.

They have been fed a load of BS by Ford and his buddies at the Toronto SUN,

I've always lived in Scarborough and I want the LRT, "People want subways" is just empty rhetoric and campaign sloganeering.

IF Stintz and Glen had kept their mouths shut and not used transit to add to their campaign literature we wouldn't have heard much about subways since council made its decision on Sheppard and this LRT would be proceeding as planned.
You may want an LRT but a subway is getting built. Anything else would be suicidal for all parties all this point. Right now we need to look at which alignment is better, the Metrolinx one or the TTC one.

“Using the existing SRT alignment, which is also the approved alignment for the LRT in the master agreement, is worthy of the most serious consideration,” Mr. Prichard wrote in his letter. “It offers the possibility of a better solution at lower cost serving more people and generating greater economic growth than any other alignment.”

How many outright lies in that sentence? I lost count.

How did they study this inferior option so quickly? What about the option proposed by the city?

I'm a little lost..................what's the point of studying alternative routes when you don't have the money to pay for them?

Not sure which route is better, via McCowan or via the SRT alignment.

The SRT alignment route directly serves Centennial, has a better location for the STC station, and seems to be cheaper.

The McCowan route directly serves the hospital, does not require SRT shutdown, and has a better connection to Sheppard (the SRT route's connection is a bit too far east).

I guess at this point, the SRT route will win as it can be built in stages. They will start with a line to STC using the existing funding, and extend to Sheppard if / when more funding comes.

For the McCowan route, they would need additional funding right away, to reach STC.

This plan is horrible.

The thing that amuses me is how long both the SRT and Kennedy Station will be closed. How many years will Scarborough residents have to travel all the way to Warden station by bus to get to rapid transit? All for a subway that has zero benefit over the cheaper, quicker to build LRT. This is just sweet.
Horrible or not, it's apparent people in Scarborough don't want an LRT so why foist it upon them?

This plan is horrible.This plan is horrible. The thing that amuses me is how long both the SRT and Kennedy Station will be closed. How many years will Scarborough residents have to travel all the way to [B]Warden[/B] station by bus to get to rapid transit? Edit: A few months.

All for a subway that has zero benefit over the cheaper, quicker to build LRT. Interesting to see how it misses all spots of higher density. This thing really should be run along Eglinton and then up Kingston. This is just sweet.

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/xb0i9.gif

Last edited:
The thing that amuses me is how long both the SRT and Kennedy Station will be closed. How many years will Scarborough residents have to travel all the way to Warden station by bus to get to rapid transit? All for a subway that has zero benefit over the cheaper, quicker to build LRT. Interesting to see how it misses all spots of higher density. This thing really should be run along Eglinton and then up Kingston. This is just sweet.

The expected Kennedy station shutdown will be much shorter than the SRT shutdown. Most of the time, the buses will run to Kennedy.

Back