News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 586     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 884     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

yup on the radio on Friday they were touting it as the largest subway extension ever for the TTC... I was like,,,,,😐.... under what metric...like the most expensive per km probably...but size and scale and regional impact...NOPE.

And it's only fair to subtract Line 3's length with this addition. So 7.8km for SSE minus 6.4km of Line 3 would be 1.4km of subway extension. Effectively Ellesmere to Sheppard. It would be one the smallest extensions in the city's history.

And it's only fair to subtract Line 3's length with this addition. So 7.8km for SSE minus 6.4km of Line 3 would be 1.4km of subway extension. Effectively Ellesmere to Sheppard. It would be one the smallest extensions in the city's history.
Second smallestt i think! Islington to Kipling is 200m shorter:)

Perhaps they could remove the RT tracks and run busses on the right of way with some widening here and there.
I looked into it about a year ago and it looked to me like they would have to either raise the trackbed/roadway (which may make it a tight squeeze for busses vertically)or lower the platforms at all the current stations. Overall it prob wouldn't be worth the effort.

I looked into it about a year ago and it looked to me like they would have to either raise the trackbed/roadway (which may make it a tight squeeze for busses vertically)or lower the platforms at all the current stations. Overall it prob wouldn't be worth the effort.
It's been written about elsewhere, buses and streetcars can't run on the srt track due to the physical limitations of the design.

Widening an elevated guideway?? That would take a year or two itself.

They'd be better off to stick up a catenary and run TTC Flexitys down it.

The elevated portion is out of question, buses won't fit there. But the at-grade north-south section, next to the Uxbridge sub rail, may be used as a temp bus corridor.

It's been written about elsewhere, buses and streetcars can't run on the srt track due to the physical limitations of the design.
But to what extend are modifications necessary to use standard streetcars?

Obviously the catenary is missing, and track is out a centimetre or so, but it was originally designed for CLRVs.

No need to upgrade permanently to Flexity Freedom standards.

Last edited:

Back