News   Apr 19, 2024
 80     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 742     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.1K     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

You better make a video response to @Reecemartin then. Words in a forum post do not do enough to convey your points.

As a constructive criticism I think the video could've done with more graphics. Also laid out the ridership differences. SSE, at least when it was looked at +10yrs ago, does have higher ridership. Albeit marginally. Its benefit is that it removes the transfer (not the capacity as RM pointed out), which results in the bump up of ridership. All the other benefits are weighted toward upgraded Line 3. More development potential, more connectivity, more coverage, more length, and that it is a subway. Things I feel weren't touched on enough to sell the point. Things that graphics and charts could help do.

^ I hope everyone realizes that the presenter doesn't really understand the topic.

His proposal is, basically, "let's replace the subway extension with making one existing line look nicer". No mention of other light rail lines. The suggestion to extend the S(L)RT north to Sheppard is not wrong, but is trivial, everyone knows that it would hit Sheppard at Progress. The suggestion to extend the line south from Kennedy towards the Beaches is outlandish; there is no demand and there is no surface corridor to use.

If I wanted to advocate for either an LRT or a "Skytrain" alternative for the subway, I could do a better job.
extending the line south, is just a variant of the connect it to Eglinton idea. Reece seems to realize that a longer line is needed, and could be had with the budget. I suggested it needed extending all the way to downtown. Although that needed some more money kicked in. I looked at a route via the beaches, but elevation did indeed seem hard. I opted for the hydro corridor to Don Valley routing, with underground only needed right in the downtown.
as for North extension, I'm not sure if one branch could go up Kennedy to Steeles, this branch split at Sheppard to go East to Malvern. The other bra much goes through STC to centennial, whench one branch goes to Malvern to connect with the previous bracb, while the final branch goes to UTSC
Angways, the time for this was maybe 6 or 7 years ago.

You better make a video response to @Reecemartin then. Words in a forum post do not do enough to convey your points.

@Reecemartin : sorry I didn't realize one of the forumers made that video. I know that you know the topic. Perhaps you decided to skip some aspects as not significant enough. I respect your opinion, even though mine is somewhat different.

For those complaining about the premier's plan, aren't you happy Team Tory and Keesmat Crew rejected a Brimley for the alignment immediately at stage 1 of the process despite the route winning in all of the city's planning metrics scorecard?

For those complaining about the premier's plan, aren't you happy Team Tory and Keesmat Crew rejected a Brimley for the alignment immediately at stage 1 of the process despite the route winning in all of the city's planning metrics scorecard?

I don't think anyone is complaining about the Premier's plan since it doesn't exist at the moment.

Didn't want above ground rapid transit in Scarborough, but above ground for the Downtown Relief Ontario (aka Crayon) Line is okay?

Doug Ford has changed his mind on above-ground transit — but it’s unclear he’s even noticed

See link.
Problem is that the premise is all wrong.

Ford was perfectly fine with the SRT alignment - connected to a grade-separated Eglinton. On Eglinton, Ford was ok to have elevated portions around the Don Valley and Kennedy (as per MOU). That represented at least half the on-street Eglinton, Ford would have been ok will at-grade/elevated.

Whatever happened to Smarttrack? If it isn't happening. And RER isn't happening. Can't we go back to retrofitting the SRT?

Problem is that the premise is all wrong.

Ford was perfectly fine with the SRT alignment - connected to a grade-separated Eglinton. On Eglinton, Ford was ok to have elevated portions around the Don Valley and Kennedy (as per MOU). That represented at least half the on-street Eglinton, Ford would have been ok will at-grade/elevated.

Grade seperation and connectivity were the issues that needed greater attention to detail.

Finally an admin that can push this type of plan it thru without interference.

Whatever happened to Smarttrack? If it isn't happening. And RER isn't happening. Can't we go back to retrofitting the SRT?
We could have, in 2006.
Now, you have to find a way of eliminating the transfer - which is universally understood to be a requirement to move the >10k ppdph who would be coming down the line and continuing SW.

Connecting with Eglinton was 1 option.
I had suggested turning into the hydro corridor and following it to Don Valley - and then on to downtown.
I also looked at going down towards the Beaches and across Eastern Ave - but it seemed inappropriate for elevated transit.

Last edited:

Portions of RER are still happening, mainly electrification and double tracking for all day service.

It seems fare harmonization is not (cons just cancelled the TTC/Go promotion) and the new stations are being "reviewed"

The Ontario Line Business Case shows the Scarborough Subway Extension having the normal 3 stops.
42F75289-CF64-4BAA-8D0E-502F95A9DDF7.jpeg

Back