News   Mar 28, 2024
 965     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 837     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Some people really hate connectivity. Instead of letting the riders using the eastern EE LRT and the northern subway transfer at Brimley, they'd rather send the riders all the way to Kennedy and then expect them to backtrack.

The "average for non-terminus stations" is meaningless. Obviously, a station like Steeles with its massive bus terminal will cost more than a basic station with pedestrian access only. And yet, Steeles is a non-terminus station (the subway does not terminate there), which meaninglessly pushes up the average.

Even if the Brimley station does cost $100 million, it is certainly worth spending that amount to improve the transit access and connectivity.

It ironic that some people want to squeeze in a station at Willowdale, where the gap between the existing stations is only 2 km, and any TOD would face an uphill battle with the local nimbys. And yet, other people want to preclude the SSE station at Brimley, leaving a gap of 4 km between the stations (assuming Lawrence East is built) and forfeighting TOD in the location where it would face no local objections.
If connectivity was really the goal then we would have a lrt network up already. What we have here is a part of the city using all our transit dollars to make themselves feel like they are urban and hip because damn it they deserve it. It has nothing to do with interconnectivity but go ahead and spin it all you want. Between not having the money and Ford not wanting to spend a dime this thing isn't being built no matter how long debate it.

If connectivity was really the goal then we would have a lrt network up already. What we have here is a part of the city using all our transit dollars to make themselves feel like they are urban and hip because damn it they deserve it. It has nothing to do with interconnectivity but go ahead and spin it all you want.

I provided a plain technical reason why the Brimley station is good for connectivity. Riders who board the LRT east of Brimley, for example at Eglinton & Markham Rd or the Eglinton GO station, and wish to go to STC, will be able to transfer at the Brimley station. If there is no station at Brimley, then the said riders will have to go all the way to Kennedy, and then backtrack.

You are the one who's trying to spin the conversation with the "they deserve" and "feel like they are urban" type of nonsense.

Between not having the money and Ford not wanting to spend a dime this thing isn't being built no matter how long debate it.

You are confident that nothing will be built. And yet, you feel the urge to come to this thread and state your objection to the Brimley station. How interesting ..

If connectivity was really the goal then we would have a lrt network up already. What we have here is a part of the city using all our transit dollars to make themselves feel like they are urban and hip because damn it they deserve it. It has nothing to do with interconnectivity but go ahead and spin it all you want. Between not having the money and Ford not wanting to spend a dime this thing isn't being built no matter how long debate it.

One thing I would add - if they do add a 4th stop at Brimley to this plan, then the city may realize the idea of an Eglinton East extension is gone for a long, long time. It's not even on the radar now after Ford removed it from his 'transit plan'.

The jury is still out on this one too after the Ford delay.

Last edited:
I provided a plain technical reason why the Brimley station is good for connectivity. Riders who board the LRT east of Brimley, for example at Eglinton & Markham Rd or the Eglinton GO station, and wish to go to STC, will be able to transfer at the Brimley station. If there is no station at Brimley, then the said riders will have to go all the way to Kennedy, and then backtrack.

You are the one who's trying to spin the conversation with the "they deserve" and "feel like they are urban" type of nonsense.

You are confident that nothing will be built. And yet, you feel the urge to come to this thread and state your objection to the Brimley station. How interesting ..
I try to come here less often to keep my sanity. Good day.

It's perfectly rational to believe the Eglinton East LRT won't be built because it's not a part of Ford's transit plans and it was completely unfunded even when it was on the radar.

I can see why the city would request a station on Eglinton and Brimley given this reality.

Do people seriously think Ford wants to spend billions on the SSE, billions more on a Sheppard extension then build an above ground LRT extension, all in Scarborough?

Is that a 'rational' belief given everything that's happened (or not happened)??

Last edited:
I’m like 70% sure the DRL isn’t happening, 75% sure the SSE isn’t happening and 100% sure the EELRT isn’t happening. What in the world would give anyone the impression that the EELRT has even the most remote possibility of getting built?

Last edited:
I’m like 70% sure the DRL isn’t happening, 75% sure the SSE isn’t happening and 100% sure the EELRT isn’t happening. What in the world would give anyone the chance that the EELRT has even the most remote possibility of getting built?

Last I heard EELRT is still in design, supported locally and in the City. Simply put Its not on the same priority level compared tot the SSE or OL. The City will also have ample opportunity to negotiate the EELRT in with this Province or the next admin as it will be ready and Crosstown will be finishing up. Very far from being 100% dead. I think it adds great value but its not near the same level of politically or commuter need at the moment. Politically I fully expect the City to keep the pressure on for this line during 'talks' with the Province as well as following elections and really don't expect it to disappear as lines that are actually supported locally don't fade away easily.

The Cons are likely going to milk these subway lines for max profit but no elected admin is going to overturn them as they gain traction based on support, and need. If they are adding in the Brimley stop to the SSE they can milk it for as long as they need for all I care. Nice to see were finally going forward with what should have been design ready decades ago.

Last edited:
Given that the EELRT is a City of Toronto project, separate from Metrolinx's Crosstown:
  1. How many LRT vehicles are forecasted as required to provide service?
  2. Was the intention, at any point, to tack on to Metrolinx's car orders from either Bombardier or from Alstom? Or was the City going to start an entirely new procurement process?
  3. Where would the carhouse be located?

While the funding is separate from the Crosstown, the project will be an extension of the existing LRT, not a separate service.

I believe the carhouse for the crosstown can currently handle more cars, but it would also be made bigger in the case that it wasnt.

No idea on the vehicle orders, I dont think the project is that far along yet

Where would the carhouse be located?
Sheppard and Collins Road most likely as this was going to be the yard location back during the Transit City era. Back then the yard would have served both the Sheppard East LRT and Scarborough-Malvern LRT however it doesn't need to do that at the moment, so the yard would have a lot of expansion space if needed.

EELRTYard.png

I disagree with those who fear that adding the Brimley subway station will undermine EE LRT; for the following reasons:

- Ford will not fund EE LRT, no matter what. His announced plan is pretty bold / costly, and likely won't be 100% complete. EE LRT isn't even a part of that plan. No reason to expect Ford will suddenly change his mind and decide to add EE LRT to the package.

- If the next government, likely after 2026, has interest in EE LRT and wants to fund it, they will not turn it down just because of a single subway station at Brimley.

Therefore: Yes to the Brimley station if the province is willing to fund it.

^ I hope everyone realizes that the presenter doesn't really understand the topic.

His proposal is, basically, "let's replace the subway extension with making one existing line look nicer". No mention of other light rail lines. The suggestion to extend the S(L)RT north to Sheppard is not wrong, but is trivial, everyone knows that it would hit Sheppard at Progress. The suggestion to extend the line south from Kennedy towards the Beaches is outlandish; there is no demand and there is no surface corridor to use.

If I wanted to advocate for either an LRT or a "Skytrain" alternative for the subway, I could do a better job.

^ I hope everyone realizes that the presenter doesn't really understand the topic.

His proposal is, basically, "let's replace the subway extension with making one existing line look nicer". No mention of other light rail lines. The suggestion to extend the S(L)RT north to Sheppard is not wrong, but is trivial, everyone knows that it would hit Sheppard at Progress. The suggestion to extend the line south from Kennedy towards the Beaches is outlandish; there is no demand and there is no surface corridor to use.

If I wanted to advocate for either an LRT or a "Skytrain" alternative for the subway, I could do a better job.
You better make a video response to @Reecemartin then. Words in a forum post do not do enough to convey your points.

A better LRT line was already recommended by Metrolinx and was the plan supported by the Mayor in a "weak" Mayoral municipal system. Council stopped it and then council then agreed to the Liberals change to the McCowan subway only to have collectively chaotic City council one up themselves again by stripping out all the stops with the help of a politicized City planner.

One thing we don't have is a "weak" Provincial government system so the 3 (maybe 4)stop subway will continue to move forward as the plan no matter how many new pre-Centre transfer, napkin plans are still being drawn up by those who always refuse to take a hint that we needed to do better with Central connectivity at a minimum.

Last edited:

Back