News   Apr 24, 2024
 958     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

STC demand is way above a 15 minute frequency. The LRT projected 8,000 people an hour heading south, it's more like 10,000 with the subway. four 1,200 people GO trains is not going to accommodate that.

a commuter rail solution is not a real possibility for STC, demand levels are too high.
The problem though, is that we have gerrymandered many of Scarborough's bus routes to deliberately go out of their way to dump people at STC.

I don't think the answer would be replacing the SSE or LRT with *just* a GO train plan. It should be a multi-modal rethink of travel patterns in Scarborough, that would include Crosstown East, GO stations at each major arterial road along the Stoufville line in Scarborough, and BRT-lite style routes that take Scarberians rapidly to Sheppard Line, Eglinton Line, the GO corridors, and (this part is necessary) the Relief Line North.

Are there sources for those numbers?

An eight-stop LRT with eight different catchments, may well have more ridership than a single $4 billion subway stations.

Also number check ... the peak planning capacity for a 140-metre long 6-car TR train is 1,100; crush loading is higher. A 12-car double-decker GO train (not including engine) is 310-metres long; surely it doesn't have the same capacity and a single deck 6-car train only 45% the length!
I imagine the LRT would have similar ridership patterns to the SRT.. which is 90% of ridership gets on at STC and rides to Kennedy. Midland and Lawrence East have almost 0 ridership and McCowan is essentially the kiss and ride for Scarborough Centre. Centennial College and Sheppard would still be getting on the STC RER train in theory, and RER would also theoretically still service Lawrence east.

15 minute GO rer even with full trains is simply not going to meet peak hour demands from STC. Even if the switch to RER cut the ridership in half, you are looking at trains departing STC with standing room only.

GO Trains are designed to handle about 160 people a car seated - so, you are right, more like 2,000 people a train, provided you are discussing a 12 car 300m long train. I struggle to believe you will be able to get a train that size into STC however.

STC demand is way above a 15 minute frequency. The LRT projected 8,000 people an hour heading south, it's more like 10,000 with the subway. four 1,200 people GO trains is not going to accommodate that.

a commuter rail solution is not a real possibility for STC, demand levels are too high.

A solution that involves commuter rail and still might work is 15 min frequency to Union + combined 5 min frequency to Kennedy Stn.

Potentially possible to implement, but requires a major change of course that both Metrolinx and the City might not be willing to consider.

An eight-stop LRT with eight different catchments, may well have more ridership than a single $4 billion subway stations.

Also number check ... the peak planning capacity for a 140-metre long 6-car TR train is 1,100; crush loading is higher. A 12-car double-decker GO train (not including engine) is 310-metres long; surely it doesn't have the same capacity and a single deck 6-car train only 45% the length!

The demand estimate for 3-stop subway was as high as 14,000 at peak, dropping to 7,000 when they switched to the one-stop version. I don't remember the latest estimate for SLRT.

A 12-car double-decker GO train has a very large capacity, but may not be compatible with frequent RER service we are trying to get. That kind of train takes forever to load/unload.

I suspect any RER service will use single-deck trains.

The problem though, is that we have gerrymandered many of Scarborough's bus routes to deliberately go out of their way to dump people at STC.

Many? I can think of just a few: branches of the Brimley and McCowan routes, bus #38, and to some degree the Malvern routes, although the latter serve streets that aren't continuous anyway. On the other hand, Sheppard buses and Ellesmere buses do not bother diverting to STC.

I don't think the answer would be replacing the SSE or LRT with *just* a GO train plan. It should be a multi-modal rethink of travel patterns in Scarborough, that would include Crosstown East, GO stations at each major arterial road along the Stoufville line in Scarborough, and BRT-lite style routes that take Scarberians rapidly to Sheppard Line, Eglinton Line, the GO corridors, and (this part is necessary) the Relief Line North.

All of that is great, but I don't think the trunk line between Kennedy and STC can be made totally unnecessary by all those changes. We still need to build something in that corridor: either subway or LRT or mainline rail.

Technically you are right; Metrolinx should be the main actor, with the City just providing its input. But, my point still stands: the Corridor is not quite ready.
The City has absolutely no say in this. The City can't even come up with what Metrolinx has demanded for funding for the handful of SmartTrack stations Tory still likes to fantasize about. Metrolinx calls the shots on that Corridor, signed agreements with the Class 1s and VIA besides.

At peak, they want to run 4 RER trains per hour each way, plus 3 diesel trains per hour in the peak direction only. Adjusting that setup for the STC connection isn't easy.
Where did you get that from?

GO Trains are designed to handle about 160 people a car seated - so, you are right, more like 2,000 people a train, provided you are discussing a 12 car 300m long train. I struggle to believe you will be able to get a train that size into STC however.
RER won't be diesel hauled DDs. As time goes by, and with the model proven time and again elsewhere with only a few DD exceptions, they will be single decker multi-doored, as you find in *metro* trains around the world.
A 12-car double-decker GO train has a very large capacity, but may not be compatible with frequent RER service we are trying to get. That kind of train takes forever to load/unload.

I suspect any RER service will use single-deck trains.
Absolutely. And RER in tunnel is not only proven, it's being done in lieu of subways. For those who can't believe what can be done, Google "Crossrail".

To be entirely fair to the first statement, The Broadview to Main section of the subway is 5.25km while the Victoria Park to Kennedy section of the subway is 4.8km

According to Google, it's 4.78 km.

Victora Park to Kennedy is 4.91 km.

In total, the Vic Park -- Kennedy section sees 2722 vehicles
The Broadview -- Main section sees 3024 surface vehicles without considering the extra capacity of the streetcars. If this is taken into consideration, that number increases to 4,310 bus equivalents. In essence, the Old Toronto section of the subway sees more buses, has more stations, runs entirely underground, has greater density, and has relatively the same ridership as the Scarborough section of the subway. In fact, its rate of ridership per kilometer is less than that of Scarborough's.

Are we considering the 'extra capacity' of the RT and travel distances?

The "Old Toronto" section easy has higher ridership numbers overall.

Sherbourne station, about 750m from Yonge, has over 25,000 riders a day. That's with just one bus serving the station and no dedicated bus bay.

Dufferin has over 31,000 riders a day, with two stations nearby and only serviced by one bus (and no dedicated bus bay). The 29 Dufferin may be a long route, but so is the 68 Warden - especially when it goes north of Steeles.

What about Royal York with over 23,000 riders?

Bay with over 27,000 riders, just one bus connection all in short walking distance from Yonge?

Runnymede? College? Wellesley?

Scarborough cannot support such stations - which is why a subway is a colossal waste of money.

Who cares if one bus route has more ridership than one subway station? I can pull Eglinton West out of my ass and say that has a greater ridership while realizing that EW is being replaced by a subway, not one stop. Same with Finch West (with an LRT).

Eglinton West is not being replaced by a subway.

According to Google, it's 4.78 km.
Victora Park to Kennedy is 4.91 km.

I used ESRI,
Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 12.29.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 12.31.43 PM.png

Note, the Old Toronto section does not include the extent of the platforms, which, when included, would increase the length to about 5.25km.

Are we considering the 'extra capacity' of the RT and travel distances?

The "Old Toronto" section easy has higher ridership numbers overall.
If we were to, the equivalent capacity of the RT is about 5 buses, and the RT serves the station, an additional 1,14o bus equivalents (12 trains an hour for an average of 19hrs *5) serve the Scarborough portion of the system.

In other words:
Scarborough: 3862 bus equivalents
Old Toronto: 4,310 bus equivalents.

I rest my case
Sherbourne station, about 750m from Yonge, has over 25,000 riders a day. That's with just one bus serving the station and no dedicated bus bay.

Dufferin has over 31,000 riders a day, with two stations nearby and only serviced by one bus (and no dedicated bus bay). The 29 Dufferin may be a long route, but so is the 68 Warden - especially when it goes north of Steeles.

What about Royal York with over 23,000 riders?

Bay with over 27,000 riders, just one bus connection all in short walking distance from Yonge?

Runnymede? College? Wellesley?

Scarborough cannot support such stations - which is why a subway is a colossal waste of money.

You're cherry picking stations when you ignore the general travel patterns of the line. The stations you mention: Sherbourne, Dufferin, Bay, College, and Wellesley are all downtown stations -- stations that see double ridership from suburban commuters going to work and downtown dwellers using the system.

Runnymede and Royal York literally follow the same ridership patterns as Scarborough -- One is a large bus connection in Etobicoke, the other sees a few buses itself.

Tell your "housing density is the only thing that matters" to Victoria Park, Warden, Kennedy. And while you're at it, tell that to Wilson,. Lawrence West, Sheppard West, Finch, Sheppard Yonge, Don Mills, Islington, Royal York, Kipling etc. All these stations have great ridership, and the greatest generator of it is the presence of buses. You're telling me that cannot be replicated in Scarborough?

You cannot support a subway system, especially in Toronto, on the basis of density. Downtown's subway system, while it needs huge extensions, would not nearly be as busy if the subway did not extend far out into the suburbs, bringing people downtown. A lot more people would drive downtown, and the streetcars most certainly would have been taken out due to huge car usage.

Eglinton West is not being replaced by a subway.

The Underground section of the crosstown is most definitely a subway. It's a 10 km underground electric railroad. In essence, it is being replaced by a subway.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 12.29.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 12.29.32 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 325
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 12.31.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 12.31.43 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 323
You're cherry picking stations when you ignore the general travel patterns of the line. The stations you mention: Sherbourne, Dufferin, Bay, College, and Wellesley are all downtown stations -- stations that see double ridership from suburban commuters going to work and downtown dwellers using the system.

Runnymede and Royal York literally follow the same ridership patterns as Scarborough -- One is a large bus connection in Etobicoke, the other sees a few buses itself.

How far away are the closest stations to Runnymede and Royal York?

How about Wellesley?

Sherbourne?

Bay?

Tell your "housing density is the only thing that matters" to Victoria Park, Warden, Kennedy. And while you're at it, tell that to Wilson,. Lawrence West, Sheppard West, Finch, Sheppard Yonge, Don Mills, Islington, Royal York, Kipling etc. All these stations have great ridership, and the greatest generator of it is the presence of buses. You're telling me that cannot be replicated in Scarborough?

I have never once stated such a thing.

Residential density, commercial/employment density and built form are all crucial, yet you consistently ignore them.

What would Warden's ridership numbers be like if it was just served by one bus, like Dufferin? How about Victoria Park?

You cannot support a subway system, especially in Toronto, on the basis of density. Downtown's subway system, while it needs huge extensions, would not nearly be as busy if the subway did not extend far out into the suburbs, bringing people downtown. A lot more people would drive downtown, and the streetcars most certainly would have been taken out due to huge car usage.

Density is one of the key ingredients in determining whether a subway is a viable.

You might want to get in touch with NYCs planning department and tell them they got it all wrong.

. A lot more people would drive downtown, and the streetcars most certainly would have been taken out due to huge car usage.

Do you actually live in Toronto or is this entirely a numbers exercise?

You realize who uses streetcars, right?

It isn't just people from Mississauga and Malvern heading home lol.

You're telling me that cannot be replicated in Scarborough?

No.

The density (both employment and residential) is far too low.

You keep touting the ridership numbers for stations like Warden, but it's about 2 km apart from each of the nearest stations. It's also a massive station that's not even remotely pedestrian friendly. It also provides a massive amount of commuter parking space.

How many parking spots do Bay and Sherbourne have? What about passenger pickup and dropoff areas?

Stations like Warden aren't subway stations like Royal York. They're massive commuter hubs.

Try building subway stations 1km apart or less with small footprints in the suburbs and I guarantee ridership will be terrible.

The Underground section of the crosstown is most definitely a subway. It's a 10 km underground electric railroad. In essence, it is being replaced by a subway.

I see.

So it's safe to say Yorkdale does not have a subway stop?

Last edited:
Do you actually live in Toronto or is this entirely a numbers exercise?
You realize who uses streetcars, right?
It isn't just people from Mississauga and Malvern heading home lol.
I used to live in Toronto (moved to Waterloo for school), but the streetcar reference was with regards to a push from councillors to remove them. If traffic was much worse downtown as a result of fewer suburban subway stations, then the push for removing the streetcars and a restructuring of downtown's streets would have been inevitable. Also, my personal matters are really none of your business whatsoever. Of course I know who uses the streetcars (people working and living downtown that need a local way of getting around), I used to use them daily myself. You just missed the point of the statement, that suburban lobbying would have been a lot worse and we would end up much less transit oriented than we currently are.

I have never once stated such a thing.
Residential density, commercial/employment density and built form are all crucial, yet you consistently ignore them.
What would Warden's ridership numbers be like if it was just served by one bus, like Dufferin? How about Victoria Park?
You've always seemed to imply it. I mentioned employment density a while back and you just retorted with a bunch of stations with high residential use in the system. I've always said it's not just housing density that makes subway stations, but employment density. Every factor has an effect on the success of a subway station, however, the 2 biggest ones are employment density and surface connectability.

I'm not saying density (housing or employment) isn't an important item in determining ridership of a subway station -- it's the reason North York Centre is so successful, however, you cannot claim that it is the only metric that will determine the success of a line or a station. I'm saying there's a lot more at play -- the presence of surface connections and Employment density being the most important, while walkability, geography, safety, and mode that also make a difference.

I'm not going to lie, Warden's ridership would be pretty shitty if only served by the Warden buses, however, because it serves as a transit hub (like the proposed SSE stations) it has ridership to back up its existence. It's not like you build stations for one reason only (density), or you build stations with no purpose. Warden always was meant to serve as a bus terminal, and it does its job well.

Stations like Warden aren't subway stations like Royal York. They're massive commuter hubs.
Hate to admit it, but Royal York is served by not 1, 2, 3 but 5 bus routes (including a night bus). 2 buses have multiple spurs. Compare this to Warden's 8 buses, and this seems pretty reasonable for a "commuter hub". Warden sees 920 buses while royal York sees 480 not including the night bus, around half as many buses, however, the ridership is comparatively lower. Why do you always pick on Warden by the way? Who cares if the subway station has 6K fewer passengers than one station or another so long as it has ridership high enough to justify a subway? 30K passengers per day seems quite fair. I'm no fan of commuter parking myself, but at least the TTC charges people to use it, and to be fair, it keeps people from driving downtown, which seems pretty fair to me. It's the stations that are expensive on a subway line, not necessarily the tracks.

How far away are the closest stations to Runnymede and Royal York?
How about Wellesley?
Sherbourne?
Bay?

Try building subway stations 1km apart or less with small footprints in the suburbs and I guarantee ridership will be terrible.
Again, if we take an average, the subway between Vic Park and Kennedy has relatively the same ridership as the Broadview-Main section. For a 5 km section, there would be 5 stations, so the total ridership (130K) divided by 5 is about 26K passengers per station. Of course, Scarborough doesn't NEED this many stations, because the geography allows it to get away with only needing 3 stations while serving just as many people. You don't have to spend more money operating more stations, and people will still use the system. Of course, these stations might be a bit more expensive to run, but they are still more cost effective than paying for extra stations. This is where the Sheppard subway becomes somewhat questionable in its design. Had Bessarion not been built, a Bayview bus terminal built and ridership remained where it currently is, you have a better integrated line without the need of operating an extra, fairly useless (currently) subway station.

Meanwhile, if we take a look at the Broadview to Main section, the total ridership (135K) over that 5 km stretch (which has 8 stations), the ridership per station of ~16.9K, a difference of about 64%. While the station is smaller, your only savings on a per station basis are on electricity, ventilation, building maintenance and cleaning. The main costs aren't even for this -- they're for station attendants, which remain constant between the three stations.

No.
The density (both employment and residential) is far too low.
You keep touting the ridership numbers for stations like Warden, but it's about 2 km apart from each of the nearest stations. It's also a massive station that's not even remotely pedestrian friendly. It also provides a massive amount of commuter parking space.
How many parking spots do Bay and Sherbourne have? What about passenger pickup and dropoff areas?
Even if Warden has say 2K spots, and 1.3 passengers per spot, that's only 2.6K driving passengers that make up the station's usage. Aka, less than 9%. The vast majority are still using transit in the area. Also, 2K cars. I know it doesn't sound like a lot but imagine if Warden's drivers all decided to drive downtown. How much space do you think would be wasted on parking there because of that? Also, note that while no downtown stations have Kiss-n-ride locations, a significant portion of commuters still are dropped off at stations, whether it's by rideshare services like Uber and Lyft, or by family members. Let's not forget the thousands of people that are dropped off daily within downtown by cars alone in the downtown area.

The point is that Warden doesn't need density (residential or employment) to support the station because that's not what it was designed to serve. It was designed as a terminus station for the outer suburb bus routes and drivers to connect with the subway, preventing them from driving downtown, while increasing their trip times, with the hope that the area (like Wilson) will attract developers as the subway extends. If not, then it serves as a bus hub that's heavily used.

I see.
So it's safe to say Yorkdale does not have a subway stop?
With regards to the subway terminology - It's part of the subway system (which, for the majority of its length, runs underground and is fully grade separated), but theoretically, it can be identified as a heavy rail rapid transit stop, which is basically a subway stop, with the exception that it's not underground. Also, what's the point of arguing over nomenclature when it's definitions are ambiguous?

Density is one of the key ingredients in determining whether a subway is a viable.
You might want to get in touch with NYCs planning department and tell them they got it all wrong.
Density only works in New York City as its main metric because the subway goes everywhere in the city. It's not like that here in Toronto, where you almost always have to transfer between a bus and the subway to get anywhere.

Dufferin sees 480 buses per day, I don't know why you keep quoting it as being surface transit starved. Wellesley sees 291 buses, not insane like Warden, but given the large employment density around the station and the presence of a lot of businesses, its in line with other stations.

2016 TTC station usage data: https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Subway ridership 2016.pdf

East-end Line 2 stations: Kennedy 68,940 daily users; Warden 29,500; Victoria Park 31,460.

Midtown stations (Line 2): Christie 14,740; High Park 10,510; Castle Frank 8,520; Chester 6,690.

Midtown stations (Line 1): Rosedale 6,010; Summerhill 6,280; Museum 9,680; Dupont 14,770; Eglinton West 16,210.

Midtown cannot support those stations :) [well, according to a certain forum member who is obsessed with density ..]

2016 TTC station usage data: https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Subway ridership 2016.pdf

East-end Line 2 stations: Kennedy 68,940 daily users; Warden 29,500; Victoria Park 31,460.

Midtown stations (Line 2): Christie 14,740; High Park 10,510; Castle Frank 8,520; Chester 6,690.

Midtown stations (Line 1): Rosedale 6,010; Summerhill 6,280; Museum 9,680; Dupont 14,770; Eglinton West 16,210.

Midtown cannot support those stations :) [well, according to a certain forum member who is obsessed with density ..]

Its more complicated than that.

Rosedale for example is an above ground station that cost pennies compared to the SSE station will cost to build.

No one decided to build 6km of subway for $4 billion to Rosedale.

Infill stations have a different prerogative than terminus that exist due to an extension.

They decided in 1974 not to build a Glencairn and McNarin station on the Yonge Extension to York Mills for this very same reason, and they weren't even terminal stations.

Its more complicated than that.

Rosedale for example is an above ground station that cost pennies compared to the SSE station will cost to build.

No one decided to build 6km of subway for $4 billion to Rosedale.

Infill stations have a different prerogative than terminus that exist due to an extension.

They decided in 1974 not to build a Glencairn and McNarin station on the Yonge Extension to York Mills for this very same reason, and they weren't even terminal stations.

I am certainly not proposing to close any of the existing stations. Just illustrating the fallacy of a certain forum member who keeps claiming that Scarborough cannot support more subway stations.

Btw, Rosedale should of course be cheaper to maintain than an underground station, but I wouldn't call it pennies. The station still has to be cleaned regularly, and it has elevators and escalators that need to be inspected and serviced. Given the low usage, the cost per daily user (or per yearly user, we can employ either metrics as long as we are consistent) might be same as or higher than that for some of the more expensive stations.

I am certainly not proposing to close any of the existing stations. Just illustrating the fallacy of a certain forum member who keeps claiming that Scarborough cannot support more subway stations.

Btw, Rosedale should of course be cheaper to maintain than an underground station, but I wouldn't call it pennies. The station still has to be cleaned regularly, and it has elevators and escalators that need to be inspected and serviced. Given the low usage, the cost per daily user (or per yearly user, we can employ either metrics as long as we are consistent) might be same as or higher than that for some of the more expensive stations.

I should have been more specific, Im talking about capital costs, not operating costs.

Rosedale was pennies to build vs any of the stations on the new Spadina extension, or what the SSE station will cost, for example.

Of course I know who uses the streetcars (people working and living downtown that need a local way of getting around), I used to use them daily myself. You just missed the point of the statement, that suburban lobbying would have been a lot worse and we would end up much less transit oriented than we currently are.

Then it should be very obvious the situation you outlined is not plausible. People would simply board the subway somewhere else, or take regional transit.

You've always seemed to imply it. I mentioned employment density a while back and you just retorted with a bunch of stations with high residential use in the system. I've always said it's not just housing density that makes subway stations, but employment density.

That's simply false. I have never written nor implied such a thing.

Scarborough has neither the employment density nor the residential density to justify an extension.

Every factor has an effect on the success of a subway station, however, the 2 biggest ones are employment density and surface connectability.

Exactly what stations like Warden lack.

I'm not going to lie, Warden's ridership would be pretty shitty if only served by the Warden buses, however, because it serves as a transit hub (like the proposed SSE stations) it has ridership to back up its existence. It's not like you build stations for one reason only (density), or you build stations with no purpose. Warden always was meant to serve as a bus terminal, and it does its job well.

Sorry, I should've been more clear - stations like Warden serve as suburban transit hubs. It's basically a fortress that isn't pedestrian friendly, has plenty of parking and dedicated passenger pickup/dropoff facilities for those being driven there and is over 2 km away in each direction from the nearest other stations.

Stations like Dufferin, Bay and Sherbourne have none of this and are in short walking distance from other subway stations.

Subways weren't intended to have stations multiple km apart. Scarborough clearly can't support 1km station distances. The density and built form simply aren't conducive.

That's why commuter rail is the answer once you get into the suburbs.

Again, if we take an average, the subway between Vic Park and Kennedy has relatively the same ridership as the Broadview-Main section. For a 5 km section, there would be 5 stations, so the total ridership (130K) divided by 5 is about 26K passengers per station. Of course, Scarborough doesn't NEED this many stations, because the geography allows it to get away with only needing 3 stations while serving just as many people. You don't have to spend more money operating more stations, and people will still use the system. Of course, these stations might be a bit more expensive to run, but they are still more cost effective than paying for extra stations. This is where the Sheppard subway becomes somewhat questionable in its design. Had Bessarion not been built, a Bayview bus terminal built and ridership remained where it currently is, you have a better integrated line without the need of operating an extra, fairly useless (currently) subway station.

Meanwhile, if we take a look at the Broadview to Main section, the total ridership (135K) over that 5 km stretch (which has 8 stations), the ridership per station of ~16.9K, a difference of about 64%. While the station is smaller, your only savings on a per station basis are on electricity, ventilation, building maintenance and cleaning. The main costs aren't even for this -- they're for station attendants, which remain constant between the three stations.

But the Old City of Toronto isn't just Broadview to Main. This comparison will also be completely thrown out of whack once the SSE is built - unless you expect about 11km of coverage to have over double the ridership of Broadview - Main?

The point is that Warden doesn't need density (residential or employment) to support the station because that's not what it was designed to serve. It was designed as a terminus station for the outer suburb bus routes and drivers to connect with the subway, preventing them from driving downtown, while increasing their trip times, with the hope that the area (like Wilson) will attract developers as the subway extends. If not, then it serves as a bus hub that's heavily used.

Yes. Exactly.

That's why Scarborough can't support more stations.

The SSE makes inter-Scarborough travel worse, and it really doesn't address getting downtown quickly.

With regards to the subway terminology - It's part of the subway system (which, for the majority of its length, runs underground and is fully grade separated), but theoretically, it can be identified as a heavy rail rapid transit stop, which is basically a subway stop, with the exception that it's not underground. Also, what's the point of arguing over nomenclature when it's definitions are ambiguous?

You're the only person I know that refers to the Crosstown LRT as a subway. Everyone seems to realize it's an LRT that runs underground, which is not the same as a subway.

Just like Yorkdale isn't the same as the above ground stations on the Crosstown.

Density only works in New York City as its main metric because the subway goes everywhere in the city. It's not like that here in Toronto, where you almost always have to transfer between a bus and the subway to get anywhere.

That isn't true.

There are subways in high density areas.

Staten Island doesn't have a single subway stop.

There isn't a subway connection to White Plains nor Hempstead.

If Scarborough was in NYC, it would not have any subway stations at all. It would be served by commuter rail.

Back