News   Apr 18, 2024
 653     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I, along with many others here would be happy to debate the merits of a scarborough subway extension, but as has been pointed out at least 50 times in this forum, can we please limit that debate to the "Debate The Merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension" Thread"?

There was no "Debate The Merits of the Scarborough LRT conversion" so subway people hijacked this thread with their thoughts, opinions, fortune telling. I see no reason why LRT advocates have to be shunned to another thread simply because your preferred transit vehicle of choice has been selected as the front runner. Shovels are not in the ground and even if they are we all know things get cancelled. Just because the thread has been renamed doesn't mean those who disagree with the change need to admit defeat or agree that somehow now with no financial details and less stops it is suddenly a credible plan.

There was no "Debate The Merits of the Scarborough LRT conversion" so subway people hijacked this thread with their thoughts, opinions, fortune telling. I see no reason why LRT advocates have to be shunned to another thread simply because your preferred transit vehicle of choice has been selected as the front runner. Shovels are not in the ground and even if they are we all know things get cancelled. Just because the thread has been renamed doesn't mean those who disagree with the change need to admit defeat or agree that somehow now with no financial details and less stops it is suddenly a credible plan.
Well, then maybe both threads need a name changes

TTC: Scarborough Subway Extension (formerly LRT replacement) (City of Toronto, Design Phase) ->
TTC: Scarborough Subway Extension (City of Toronto, Design Phase)

Debate on the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension -> Debate on the merits of Scarborough Rapid Transit

I, along with many others here would be happy to debate the merits of a scarborough subway extension, but as has been pointed out at least 50 times in this forum, can we please limit that debate to the "Debate The Merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension" Thread"?

I am not saying that it should be one or the other. However, to assume it is going to be one thing, now, with the recent events is short sighted.

The city has yet to put out a RFP for the extension. In fact, recently, they have back peddled. All we really know is that the current SRT is to be replaced with something. We don't know what, or even when. So, until that happens, the Subway/LRT debate will continue.

What is the reason for the holdup anyways? It’s been five years since this thing was approved

The project is managed in-house. It's not like a Metrolinx project where the whole project would be contracted out to one bidder who then hires contractors. In the meantime the city has put out RFPs for things like station design, tunnel design and environmental studies.

I know. I'm just saying that I would've expected it to be well under construction by now. At this point, it still seems that we're still nowhere near starting construction

the original schedule had construction starting in 2018. Transportation planning at City hall has in general been blowing past deadlines by years on all the projects they are working on.

I know. I'm just saying that I would've expected it to be well under construction by now. At this point, it still seems that we're still nowhere near starting construction

On some level I feel like this entire process is one big political maneuver, with the project canceled once the new cost is released after the election.

Last edited:
Scarborough has like a Thousand bus stops. Would an additional 46 stops make that big a difference?
That's just just a patently absurd comment.

Scarborough has thousands of newspapers boxes, and yes 46 rapid transit stops would make a difference.

A lot more than replacing the existing five Line 3 stops with a single Line 2 stop. You only have to look at the ridership numbers to see this. People need to pull their heads out of their imagination here, and look at reality.

Reactions: syn
A lot more than replacing the existing five Line 3 stops with a single Line 2 stop. You only have to look at the ridership numbers to see this. People need to pull their heads out of their imagination here, and look at reality.
Last I checked, the only station on the RT that got even considerable ridership was Lawrence East. The only station with subway level ridership is the STC. What's the big deal with rerouting people an extra 2-3 minutes from Ellesmere, Midland and McCowan to the STC? Remeber, the current subway plan also calls for the Eglinton East LRT, so arguing that it's one stop versus 45 is absurd. We're only cutting a few stops from Line 3 that get almost no ridership.

Last I checked, the only station on the RT that got even considerable ridership was Lawrence East. The only station with subway level ridership is the STC. What's the big deal with rerouting people an extra 2-3 minutes from Ellesmere, Midland and McCowan to the STC? Remeber, the current subway plan also calls for the Eglinton East LRT, so arguing that it's one stop versus 45 is absurd. We're only cutting a few stops from Line 3 that get almost no ridership.

No, we're cutting the extension as well. and thanks to this subway there is no funding for the Eglinton East LRT, which was only bundled with the subway plan to save it. And the SSE has made to Sheppard LRT politically unbuildable.

Can we even consider the Eglinton East LRT a possibility anymore? I think we can safely say that we don't have the money for it since the SSE's budget is out of control. I think we can all agree that when all is said and done the SSE will easily peak over $4 Billion (if it hasn't already) and could hit $5 Billion. So then where will the additional $1.6 Billion come from since its pretty much guaranteed to be sucked into the SSE Black hole.

No, we're cutting the extension as well. and thanks to this subway there is no funding for the Eglinton East LRT, which was only bundled with the subway plan to save it. And the SSE has made to Sheppard LRT politically unbuildable.

Can we even consider the Eglinton East LRT a possibility anymore? I think we can safely say that we don't have the money for it since the SSE's budget is out of control. I think we can all agree that when all is said and done the SSE will easily peak over $4 Billion (if it hasn't already) and could hit $5 Billion. So then where will the additional $1.6 Billion come from since its pretty much guaranteed to be sucked into the SSE Black hole.

You are both correct. The plan established in January 2016 was for a one stop extension, with money remaining in the budget ($3.56 billion total) used to build the Crosstown East LRT extension.

The SSE has now eaten up virtually the entire budget, leaving no money for a Crosstown East LRT. Given other transit needs in the city, finding another $2 billion or so to pour into Scarborough transit will not be a popular idea.

Based on price increases, it would actually make much more sense to build the Crosstown East instead.

At what point is the cost too high to build the SSE? I think we're already past that point, but if the number out of City Hall after the election is anywhere over $4 billion will the public finally have had enough?

If I were Tory I'd be doing whatever I could to figure out a way to build this thing entirely above ground. That seems to be the only solution to get it done for the lowest price possible.

Last edited:

Back