News   Mar 28, 2024
 27     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Davis was concentrating on highway expansion in his first term, so he was transportation-minded.

Davis (and Miller, don't forget Frank's short tenure as Premier) did create GO as a regional network. Arguably this was really a 'virtual highway' strategy in the sense that it provided the 905 bedroom communities with commuting service that would otherwise have demanded highway construction. The roles were a little more cut and dried back then, with the province building regional roads and transit but staying out of municipal level planning.

One needs to consider not only capital spending, but also farebox subsidy. Some provincial governments were far more willing to subsidise operations than others.

- Paul

Can someone make a Sheppard east subway map based on the new bend

Because I aim to please:

There it is interlined with the Bloor-Danforth. This only differs from the previous Sheppard Subway proposal of the early 2000s in that I added a station at Birchmount. That and it's now following the SRT alignment into the Town Centre, preserving the existing Midland station site.

Ah, fellows!

Aren't they cutting things a little close?

Demolition Work for Future Kennedy Station

From link. A bit like missing the cruise ship as it leaves port, isn't it?

Cutting what close?

This is for the ECLRT station, which is going to go right where the vacant Canada Post building sits today.

Technical design is nearing 60%, SPA submission is going in shortly, and demolition and shoring permits are right around the corner.

The ship has sailed on the SRT alignment for the SSE. A re-design of Kennedy ECLRT station would set the Crosstown LRT back at least a year, probably two, maybe more. It isn't going to happen.

Because I aim to please:

There it is interlined with the Bloor-Danforth. This only differs from the previous Sheppard Subway proposal of the early 2000s in that I added a station at Birchmount. That and it's now following the SRT alignment into the Town Centre, preserving the existing Midland station site.
unfortunately I think the map would probably look more like this....
map.png

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,208
It looks like Malvern is going to get screwed again just as I thought it would once the light got cut back from Sheppard and McCowan. The meddling snake Liberal Brad Daguid is out to knee cap the M1B and he needs to be derailed.

Because I aim to please:

Merge Kennedy North and Agincourt together and this makes me happy.

Just wondering
Have you folks taken the Sheppard LRT into account.
It's fully funded and check out Metrolinx's map
torontotranistmaplarge.jpg

Just wondering
Have you folks taken the Sheppard LRT into account.
It's fully funded and check out Metrolinx's map
torontotranistmaplarge.jpg

I have a better chance of being the first man to walk on Mars than seeing the Sheppard LRT being built.

It looks like Malvern is going to get screwed again just as I thought it would once the light got cut back from Sheppard and McCowan. The meddling snake Liberal Brad Daguid is out to knee cap the M1B and he needs to be derailed.
Daguid is an ass

Being neither an engineer nor a mathematician, I hope I have the following wrong.

A few days back there was talk about plans to use a larger-bore TBM for the extension. Some TTC documents mention 10.7 meters to fit both tracks, and I've even seen 12 meters floated, with schemes around fitting the station platforms within the bored tunnel.

The environmental impact is pretty significant. Using a 10.7 tunnel would possibly cost less in tunneling expense per se and involve less concrete, but 50% more material would be displaced. For 12 meters, it could be about the same amount of concrete, but doubling the dirt.

Unless I have Tory'd the math, the excavation would create an 88-meter cube of fill to put somewhere. That's 24 times the volume of the NASA Vehicle Assembly Building. And since the 6-kilometre single-station route would actually use all of that void for only 3% of its length, more than 11 of the 24 NASA mini-piles would have been shifted to no real purpose.

This might make sense for the Relief Line: same length but 8 stations and a tight, built-up downtown environment. But a giant, suburban wormhole is madness, more so with a viable ROW already in existence.

I can't imagine Metrolinx being content with a subway running alongside their alignment north of Progress, given all the room they think they are going to end up with south of Progress if the RT is ripped out.

Even if that were signed off, with a conventional McCowan-Sheppard approach there is no question that Agincourt GO would be conveniently served, as opposed to some sort of Oriole-Leslie station separation demanded by the 90 degree turn to get the subway off the GO alignment and onto Sheppard.

Additionally, a Stouffville Line-Sheppard alignment that even tried to approach Agincourt GO would have to cross Highland Creek twice.

Back