News   Jan 22, 2021
 585     0 
News   Jan 22, 2021
 335     0 
News   Jan 22, 2021
 854     3 

TTC: Scarborough Subway Extension (formerly LRT replacement) (City of Toronto, Design Phase)

BurlOak

Member Bio
Reaction score
  1. In 1.5 terms, Liberals (Pederson) got nothing started on transit.
  2. In 1 term, NDP (Rae) started launch shaft for one subway right at the end of their term. Interesting that it was planned as a busway before the NDP got in, changed to a subway by the NDP (since Rae's riding is right there), and then converted to an on street LRT (decades later). Was the subway really needed, or was it a political choice?
  3. In 2 terms, the PC's (Harris, Eeves) completed an entire 6km subway line. The City made the decision on which subway line they wanted. (True, they cancelled one line that was just started, but anyone who who supports LRT is likely happy that the NDP political decision was reversed).
  4. After first 2 terms, the Liberals (McGuinty) did not yet have shovels in the ground to start construction of anything, and their only plan was the subway to Sorbara's riding.

Adjei

Member Bio
Reaction score
  2. In 1 term, NDP (Rae) started launch shaft for one subway right at the end of their term. Interesting that it was planned as a busway before the NDP got in, changed to a subway by the NDP (since Rae's riding is right there), and then converted to an on street LRT (decades later). Was the subway really needed, or was it a political choice?
  3. In 2 terms, the PC's (Harris, Eeves) completed an entire 6km subway line. The City made the decision on which subway line they wanted. (True, they cancelled one line that was just started, but anyone who who supports LRT is likely happy that the NDP political decision was reversed).
  4. After first 2 terms, the Liberals (McGuinty) did not yet have shovels in the ground to start construction of anything, and their only plan was the subway to Sorbara's riding.

They tried to cancel that one too if not for Mel Lastman.

EnviroTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
@BurlOak

I disagree with your summation of the facts. Environmental assessments, engineering design, and contract signing is getting a subway / LRT under construction.

The Harris government didn't start the Sheppard subway, they just didn't cancel it, and the reason it got built in their term was because it had already started. However, the Harris government cancelled the Eglinton subway and pulled back funding the Spadina line extension.

McGuinty did start the Sheppard LRT and Eglinton LRT. McGuinty left in 2013, only 3 years ago. The TBMs were purchased in 2010, and shovels were in the ground in 2011 for Eglinton. Construction started in 2009 for the Sheppard LRT and was set for having been opened already but Ford and Scarborough politicians led to its deprioritization. Metrolinx was formed and massive investments in GO Transit were made during McGuinty's time in office.

I will give you that the Petersen government did nothing for transit. I will also give you that McGuinty did not put any priority on transit in his first term. The only commitment to transit to transit Harris made was not cancelling 100% of the projects, primarily due to a PC mayor in North York. The PC governments prior to Harris were not the extreme right wingers seen in the conservative party today. Prior to Peterson the PC party was the natural governing party of Ontario. Davis didn't do much beyond his first term for transit though, beyond one station extensions and forcing SRT technology onto the TTC. It seems to me the car and freeway culture that had started in the US had altered the conservative views on transportation and the governments role in transit it seems.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is called being 'technically correct'. I think EnviroTO's post is a more useful for understanding ruling parties on transit over the years.

Davis didn't do much beyond his first term for transit though, beyond one station extensions and forcing SRT technology onto the TTC.
Davis was concentrating on highway expansion in his first term, so he was transportation-minded.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Davis was concentrating on highway expansion in his first term, so he was transportation-minded.

Davis (and Miller, don't forget Frank's short tenure as Premier) did create GO as a regional network. Arguably this was really a 'virtual highway' strategy in the sense that it provided the 905 bedroom communities with commuting service that would otherwise have demanded highway construction. The roles were a little more cut and dried back then, with the province building regional roads and transit but staying out of municipal level planning.

One needs to consider not only capital spending, but also farebox subsidy. Some provincial governments were far more willing to subsidise operations than others.

- Paul

Hopkins123

Member Bio
Reaction score
Can someone make a Sheppard east subway map based on the new bend

Because I aim to please:

There it is interlined with the Bloor-Danforth. This only differs from the previous Sheppard Subway proposal of the early 2000s in that I added a station at Birchmount. That and it's now following the SRT alignment into the Town Centre, preserving the existing Midland station site.

Zach6668

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ah, fellows!

Aren't they cutting things a little close?

Demolition Work for Future Kennedy Station

From link. A bit like missing the cruise ship as it leaves port, isn't it?

Cutting what close?

This is for the ECLRT station, which is going to go right where the vacant Canada Post building sits today.

Technical design is nearing 60%, SPA submission is going in shortly, and demolition and shoring permits are right around the corner.

The ship has sailed on the SRT alignment for the SSE. A re-design of Kennedy ECLRT station would set the Crosstown LRT back at least a year, probably two, maybe more. It isn't going to happen.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
Because I aim to please:

There it is interlined with the Bloor-Danforth. This only differs from the previous Sheppard Subway proposal of the early 2000s in that I added a station at Birchmount. That and it's now following the SRT alignment into the Town Centre, preserving the existing Midland station site.
unfortunately I think the map would probably look more like this....
map.png

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 800

Forgotten

Member Bio
Reaction score
It looks like Malvern is going to get screwed again just as I thought it would once the light got cut back from Sheppard and McCowan. The meddling snake Liberal Brad Daguid is out to knee cap the M1B and he needs to be derailed.