News   Apr 25, 2024
 93     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Would be smart to build hospital at the same time as subway stop. Hopefully they are taking this into consideration when designing subway.
1627489477828.jpeg

SHN recommends building a new hospital at Centenary and a second hospital somewhere entirely new. Hopefully Mayor Tory can clarify his position on where that will be. Subway planners need to know.

Sounds good in theory, but are there security or other safety regulations that prevent this from happening?
I mean, you can say that about any other direct connection for other subway stations. St. George, Bloor-Yonge, Don Mills, North York Centre, Sheppard-Yonge, York Mills, Eglinton, Dundas, Queen, St. Andrew, Osgoode, St. Patrick, Queen's Park all have direct connections to office complexes, malls and even an institution. They simply lock the exit when the facilities close. I think even a direct connection to North York General from Leslie station was proposed but was cut due to the Sheppard's line cost-cutting measures.

“If the province agrees, though, it would mean SHN will eventually dispose of both its General and Birchmount campuses.”

This will be unfortunate. This area of Scarborough is built around the hospital. Multiple medical buildings and retirement residences rely on it. Hopefully governments at all levels can make a new hospital at this location work.

Building a subway stop and loosing the hospital doesn’t make sense!

^ My father-in-law was in the first wave of doctors when the hospital opened and their neighbourhood was close enough that they could walk to work and was full of hospital staff. I have a hard time seeing them build on the site without first tearing down the allied properties to the west. Typically, hospitals that re-locate spawn a new collection of medical offices and the ones near the former site either get re-purposed for other commercial use or torn down.

Whether or not McCowan justifies a station without the hospital I leave to others.

^ My father-in-law was in the first wave of doctors when the hospital opened and their neighbourhood was close enough that they could walk to work and was full of hospital staff. I have a hard time seeing them build on the site without first tearing down the allied properties to the west. Typically, hospitals that re-locate spawn a new collection of medical offices and the ones near the former site either get re-purposed for other commercial use or torn down.

Whether or not McCowan justifies a station without the hospital I leave to others.
Used to be that doctors and dentists used the first floor of LARGE mansions or houses for their offices. Today, city zoning forbids or discourged that from happening. Even if the houses are larger in comparison to yesterdays.

Of course, the city would rather charge the higher commercial property tax rate on the medical office building than the lower residential rates.

Last edited:
Used to be that doctors and dentists used the first floor of LARGE mansions or houses for their offices. Today, city zoning forbids or discourged that from happening. Even if the houses are larger in comparison to yesterdays.

Of course, the city would rather charge the higher commercial property tax rate on the medical office building than the lower residential rates.

Or even their houses. A cousin of some degree was a chiropractor in Scarborough and had his surgery (as they say in the UK) in the basement of his house..

I remember the medical offices in large houses in older areas of the city, but I doubt there were many old mansions in that area of Scarborough in '56.

Edit: So called 'medical buildings' can often be owned by a corporation of doctors.

Back