News   Apr 18, 2024
 683     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

For being in power for over a decade, their accomplishments are incredibly small. Just a couple of tram routes, a horribly designed Crosstown Line, and with the exception of the Viva Rapidways, all of them were built after their tenure? Not to mention, with the exception of iON and Viva Rapidways, these were so horribly designed and don't work in the corridors they're trying to build up (but I've talked extensively about that and I don't want to repeat myself). Compared to the absolute snail's pace that projects went through development under the liberals, seeing the PCs rapidfire through these projects is incredible. We're only 3 years into their term, and shovels are already hitting the ground for SSE and EW which got revised allignments and stations, and we're getting proper rapid transit instead of just trams.
Remember what i said about Ford's authoritarian policies? Thats litterally why theese new projects are complete 15 years after first design. (OL)

If theese projects were put forward as something akin to "were thinking of doing this project what are your thoughts?" instead of "were doing this now you cant stop this" theres no way theese projects would even come close to any kind of detailed business case or even contract tenders.

I think the problem is that if the Liberals spend big, they open themselves up to accusations that they're, well, "tax and spend Liberals". The OPC doesn't have to worry about that.

EDIT: for an example of this at the federal level, see HFR.

Last edited:
At any rate, speaking purely about transit:
  1. I hope the Ontario Line is not cancelled. Toronto needs transit, and the last thing I personally want to see is another plan change when we're probably well over 30% into design and (hopefully) into early works by end of year.
  2. I think the OLP could learn from the OPC on how to focus on, and deliver transit projects. What's interesting is that Metrolinx got the go-ahead, and the political capital/changes to make it happen.
  3. I hope the budget continues to keep funding flowing for transit, both on the RER side (electrification) as well as for the priority projects. If the Ontario government pulls through the biggest risk is at the federal level, if the CPC is voted in. I doubt they'll be in a spending mood.

Remember what i said about Ford's authoritarian policies? Thats litterally why theese new projects are complete 15 years after first design. (OL)

If theese projects were put forward as something akin to "were thinking of doing this project what are your thoughts?" instead of "were doing this now you cant stop this" theres no way theese projects would even come close to any kind of detailed business case or even contract tenders.
The issue with that approach is that with too much bureaucracy nothing gets done. Projects getting completed 15 years after first design isn't normal, its an atrocity. Look at any city in the world with strong transit construction, even in strong first world countries like Spain or Australia. No they don't take 15 years from proposal for the projects to be finished, and that's because they're built by drawing lines on a map, and there's a group of people at the helm making all of the decisions. Local feedback could maybe change the lines alignment by a small bit but never that drastic, but the most important part is that STUFF GETS DONE. 15 years for a project shouldn't be "normal", it should be a non-starter, and as these liberal era projects are being finished, we're now seeing that these 15 years don't really contribute to making the lines better. The Otrain is a light metro running on what are basically trams. Even though I love iON, I do have to admit that it has an extremely wonky route owing part that its an allignment that tried to please too many people at once, and since the route is so curvy with tons of turns, it makes having proper transit signal priority extremely challenging, and if frequencies ever increase in the future, it would cause havoc on the city's traffic grid. Eglinton Crosstown is a wannabe Stadtbahn without any of the elements of Stadtbahns that make them effective. Hurontario despite trying to feed people to a GO Train line won't even have a proper connection to Port Credit, and would thus require an 800m walk just to transfer to a GO train.

I lean quite libertarian, so for most issues I do agree that we do need to focus more on more libertarian ideals, but unfortunately Transit is not a place where more open design philosophies work. You need someone at the helm directing all of the ideas, and you do need to strong arm ideas if you want to get anything done in a reasonable timeframe. Look at Montreal, instead of endlessly bickering over what they should build, the CDPQ came in with their REM proposal, and 5 years after conception they're getting a brand new frequent and automated Light Metro Line, which will reach 67km by 2024, and due to that success they're already planning both a REM B and a REM C. We should be building transit, not talking about transit.
I think the problem is that if the Liberals spend big, they open themselves up to accusations that they're, well, "tax and spend Liberals". The OPC doesn't have to worry about that.

That line of attack only works if people feel like they're money isn't being used properly. Sure the PCs will shout it from the top of their longs, but its not an argument that wins people over unless people don't feel like things are happening with their high taxes. If a politician comes in saying we're taxing you, but look at all of these metros and subways we're buildings, and these transit projects are placed in areas where they're incredibly useful to a good chunk of their voterbase, I don't think they would care about paying taxes. Its only when high taxes lead to endless bickering and a whole lot of nothing does the argument begin to sway people. For an example of this at the federal level, see HFR.

This has gotten very off topic but as much as I hate Ford and his party, they're building high-quality transit, and the liberals cannot say the same. I don't think his handling of covid, or honestly really anything else he has done has made it worth it, but I am grateful we are finally getting a replacement for the rt. I take it literally every day, and it's honestly an embarrassment to the city that a line can be in that much disarray, still be crazy crowed (even during covid), and that it took this long for shovels to hit the ground on a solution. On the OL I think routing under queen could potentially serve more people, but I think the cost-benefit of running along the rail corridor definitely makes up for this, and it's not like queen west is a transit desert anyways. The exhibition alignment also allows for easier future extensions along Dufferin, or to Dundas west or Jane.

OL should also have shovels in the ground too. Should almost be a year in with work at exhibition and bridges over the don if they keep to the current public schedule
Doubtful. They are calling this work at Exhibition "early works" but there were works in plan at Exhibition before there was even going to be an Ontario line. They don't even have Exhibition station layout plans to the same level as the station layout plans of the DRL South TPAP which was cancelled, so these early works aren't even tied to knowing what they are doing. Have you seen the project documents for Exhibition? The diagram is the most rudimentary thing I have ever seen in an official document. Calling the pedestrian tunnel extension at Exhibition "Ontario Line early works" is a marketing stunt.

The early Don River bridge work and all the illustrations of East Harbour station look like one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing, so again it seems like a marketing stunt.

Why have a two contracts that covers all north and south tracks and stations but leave out a simple pedestrian tunnel extension and a cheap looking widening of the Don River crossing? Something doesn't smell right.

Last edited:

If the Liberals proposed the underground Eglinton West LRT, running beside Wynne's riding, they'd rightfully be accused of squandering our money. And rightfully so. The EWLRT its easily the most wasteful enacted transit proposal I've seen in the City of Toronto (second on that list would be the Eglinton West Subway line, surprise surprise). It's amazing that the PCs have completely escaped criticism on that boondoggle.

The PCs get away with wasting money because fiscal conservatism is their brand. Unfortunately the decisions they've been making in Toronto regarding transit don't seem to be following any type of conservative fiscal policy. Which is unfortunate, because there are pricing optimizations that should be used in Toronto transit projects (such as elevation)

While it would have been better for it to continue along Queen and Dundas, Exhibition still is not a bad terminus. It will relieve Union, give people along the route another way to catch the Lakeshore RER &, and connect to the waterfront streetcar which is being extended to Dufferin. Exhibition Station will serve both Liberty village and the many event spaces on the exhibition grounds.

of course it has benefits having a station there, but IMO i believe queen -> dundas would be a much much better route
My initial reaction to the Exhibition terminus proposal is that it's superior the OL travelling northwest along Dundas (towards Bloor), because it allows the OL to relive RER and Union Station. At least theoretically. I say theoretically because questions do remain on the viability on this plan. For example:
  • What portion of RER customers are travelling to Line 1? These customers would have no incentive to use the OL to complete their journeys as travelling from RER to OL to Line 1 would be slower than just taking RER to Line 1 via Union Station. If, say, 70% of RER customers are transferring to TTC Line 1, that makes OL's potential for Union Station relief very low (I don't know what the actual portion is; I'm just throwing a number out there for the sake of argument).
  • What portion of RER customers are travelling to the vicinity of the Financial District? The OL is not in the catchment area of the district, so all of these customers would continue their journey on RER
  • The OL terminus at Exhibition Station will reduce the passenger capacity of the RER corridor. Will the relief capacity of the OL offset the decreased capacity of OL? If not, this is probably a bad plan.
It's really hard to assess the effectiveness of this proposal without documentation from MX. I hope it works out for the best.

The issue with that approach is that with too much bureaucracy nothing gets done. Projects getting completed 15 years after first design isn't normal, its an atrocity.
I don't disagree, however there is a lot of room between killing a project via a million public consultations and going totally totalitarian on the issue. Tens of billions of dollars should not go down the drain with zero public input just because Doug Ford said so. Public oversight is critical to good governance, and this government has strayed way too far from those principles for my liking.

The issue with that approach is that with too much bureaucracy nothing gets done. Projects getting completed 15 years after first design isn't normal, its an atrocity.
Also, far too much emphasis is put on public consultations being the reason for the delays in these projects. With the former Liberal government, the reason these projects took so long to get under construction was because the Liberals were being tight with the purse strings. A project would theoretically be funded and approved, but it would have to wait 5+ years before actually beginning construction. This lengthy delay opens up opportunity for opposition to cancel this project. If the Liberal's hadn't been so stingy, these projects would be under construction before opposition even had time to overthrow the plans. As always, money is the root of all our problems.

Reactions: syn
I would be okay with 15 years from concept to delivery if we didn't start the clock at funding being committed. There is nothing wrong with having a long term plan for how to build out infrastructure, and taking time to get it right. But treating projects as one-offs instead of an ongoing capital program leads to unnecessary delays. And knowing transit plans 10, 20 years out might help with making better decisions about where we put utilities, etc.

Doubtful. They are calling this work at Exhibition "early works" but there were works in plan at Exhibition before there was even going to be an Ontario line. They don't even have Exhibition station layout plans to the same level as the station layout plans of the DRL South TPAP which was cancelled, so these early works aren't even tied to knowing what they are doing. Have you seen the project documents for Exhibition? The diagram is the most rudimentary thing I have ever seen in an official document. Calling the pedestrian tunnel extension at Exhibition "Ontario Line early works" is a marketing stunt.

The early Don River bridge work and all the illustrations of East Harbour station look like one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing, so again it seems like a marketing stunt.

Why have a two contracts that covers all north and south tracks and stations but leave out a simple pedestrian tunnel extension and a cheap looking widening of the Don River crossing? Something doesn't smell right.
I mean if they market it that way itll look just as bad canceling it as if they canceled it a year into meaningful work 🤷🏽‍♂️

Back