News   Apr 17, 2024
 346     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 287     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

When they get around to recycle the rails on the SRT, what will happen to the old right-of-way and station buildings?

Could the right-of-way and bridges be converted to a bicycle trail?

They’ll probably have to add ramps in place of the steps and escalators. Maybe the station buildings could become homeless shelters?

When they get around to recycle the rails on the SRT, what will happen to the old right-of-way and station buildings?

They’ll probably have to add ramps in place of the steps and escalators. Maybe the station buildings could become homeless shelters?

This idea has been floated yes

I could also see it be used as some kind of BRT to get buses to STC

Sham Metrolinx hasn't stated any interest in triple tracking or even quadruple tracking the Stouffville line for express service.

This idea has been floated yes

I could also see it be used as some kind of BRT to get buses to STC

It might be considered as part of the Scarborough Centre Review: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...tudies-initiatives/scarborough-centre-review/

So if the conversion topic is of interest, you may want to get on the Review mailing list so you can raise it.

Not a big problem. Line 1 was operating like that in the AM rush pre-Covid; maybe still does (but I am WFH and can't check myself). Noone complained.

And Matlow's energy would be better spent doing something for his own constituents. Rather than re-hashing a debate he can't win, concerning a part of the city he never visits.
It is, this is a forced transfer. People will complain.

If it wasn't for the BS that subways are a must with no regard how to pay for it to be built and OM after the fact when it can't be justify in the first place, riders would be seeing a better transit system now. If the plan remain as purposed, the SRT would be gone, riders riding an LRT to Melvern and a branch line on Sheppard to the east of it as well would be in operation 2 years ago.

Wait until riders are force off every other train or 2 and have to wait at Kennedy for that train that will take them to STC and hear what they have to say about doing it.

Matlow doing his job.

Still faster to build the LRT than the subway at this stage as well being cheaper to build.
It is what is. Built it and move on. Same with Sheppard. Any Finch extension should be LRT and go to the planned Kennedy Finch station.

If it wasn't for the BS that subways are a must with no regard how to pay for it to be built and OM after the fact when it can't be justify in the first place, riders would be seeing a better transit system now. If the plan remain as purposed, the SRT would be gone, riders riding an LRT to Melvern and a branch line on Sheppard to the east of it as well would be in operation 2 years ago.

Wait until riders are force off every other train or 2 and have to wait at Kennedy for that train that will take them to STC and hear what they have to say about doing it.

Matlow doing his job.

Still faster to build the LRT than the subway at this stage as well being cheaper to build.

As usual, you hit the nail on the head.

Unfortuantely this project stopped being about building sensible transit and doing what's best for people a long time ago.

Sham Metrolinx hasn't stated any interest in triple tracking or even quadruple tracking the Stouffville line for express service.
Very few places can support more than 2 track in the corridor since the corridor is narrow in the first place. You want to tell people and business who back onto the corridor that we are going to tear your place down for those extra tracks??

I remembered it isn't that simple; took me a while to find the source, and here it is:

Comments section:

" Steve: The tunnel at Ellesmere was intentionally downsized to prevent the TTC from backing out of the change from LRT to RT technology during the initial construction. The tunnel needs to be replaced by something big enough to accommodate larger cars. At first it was thought that even Mark II’s would not fit, but they seem to think now that this is not the case. If that turns out to be wrong, it adds considerably to the RT option’s cost. "

Steve often talks about how various people have made LRT look bad, but truth be told when the St. Clair and Spadina "LRTs" were built we were promised fast and frequent service (some councilors said it would be comparable to a subway in speed), now if you have ever taken these lines you know how true that is and why LRT's may not have such a good name. . .

I think people could benefit from reading Steve's blog with a little bit more of a critical lens, Steve truly does know a lot about the TTC, I don't think anyone would deny that - but he like everyone has bias.

Steve often talks about how various people have made LRT look bad, but truth be told when the St. Clair and Spadina "LRTs" were built we were promised fast and frequent service (some councilors said it would be comparable to a subway in speed), now if you have ever taken these lines you know how true that is and why LRT's may not have such a good name. . .

I think people could benefit from reading Steve's blog with a little bit more of a critical lens, Steve truly does know a lot about the TTC, I don't think anyone would deny that - but he like everyone has bias.

Spadina and St. Clair are not "LRT". The stop spacing is too close, there is very little or no "transit priority signals", and the vehicles are required to "stop" at each single-point track switch. They could be, IF (and it's a big IF), the powers-that-be (Toronto Transportation Department, NIMBYs, anti-transit Councillors) get around to actually improve public transit, instead of sticking with the status quo. And of course, if the budget is there.

Steve often talks about how various people have made LRT look bad, but truth be told when the St. Clair and Spadina "LRTs" were built we were promised fast and frequent service (some councilors said it would be comparable to a subway in speed) ...
Which councillors have said that Spadina or St. Clair would be comparable to subway in speed? I don't remember that (which mostly means my memory is poor!). We heard such comments about Eglinton and even some of the other modern LRT lines.

" Steve: The tunnel at Ellesmere was intentionally downsized to prevent the TTC from backing out of the change from LRT to RT technology during the initial construction. The tunnel needs to be replaced by something big enough to accommodate larger cars. At first it was thought that even Mark II’s would not fit, but they seem to think now that this is not the case. If that turns out to be wrong, it adds considerably to the RT option’s cost. "
I thought the downsize, was they didn't leave enough space for overhead - not the curve itself being a problem. There's other alternates to that these days, including third rail for the LRT, or even short-term batteries.

Back