News   Apr 25, 2024
 154     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 530     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

People don't complain about short transfers: the bus-subway transfers at most stations are super easy thanks to cut-cover sections and fare-paid bus terminals. I've never heard anyone complain about transferring to the Don Mills bus at Don Mills Station either.

No one ever complains about having to Transfer at St. George, Bloor-Yonge, or Sheppard-Yonge, but there are complaints of the transfers at Union, Dundas West (to GO), Main Street (To GO), Spadina, and Kennedy. Why? Because those transfers are insanely cumbersome. When building a network, you can't expect people to transfer unnecessarily.

Take a trip that requires the use of the SRT: bus -> SRT -> Line 2 -> Line 1/Other Bus/Streetcar. That's at least 3 transfers. It adds time, complexity, and risk to one's trip.
I find it funny when people complain about the SRT transfer to the subway, little do they know the province intends on creating another replica of the exact same transfer procedure with the Ontario Line and Eglinton Crosstown.

Actually, the Ontario/Eglinton Line transfer will probably been even worse since the Eglinton line is even deeper.

I think it says you don't remember exactly what Rob Ford proposed.

My favourite part of the plan was building a station between Bayview and Bessarion. And closing Coxwell.

It did nothing for Etobicoke, Eglinton, or downtown. Cancelling Eglinton was a stunning proposal!

View attachment 278556
Maybe urban legend, but isn't a "Willowdale" vaguely roughed-in?

I find it funny when people complain about the SRT transfer to the subway, little do they know the province intends on creating another replica of the exact same transfer procedure with the Ontario Line and Eglinton Crosstown.
I didn't realize this. So the Eglinton Crosstown will end at Don Mills and force everyone off the train to transfer to another line?

There's no subway going to Richmond hill yet.

Ok, now that we solved that, we have to build the subway on Sheppard to McCowan. We have to eliminate the transfer at Fairview Mall. The slippery slope is real.

I hear you. But, there is more than one way to eliminate the transfer at Fairview Mall.

That could be a light metro system, similar to the Ontario Line. Or, a high-floor LRT.

Actually, the Ontario/Eglinton Line transfer will probably been even worse since the Eglinton line is even deeper.

The proposed Ontario/Eglinton Line transfer design is bad. I don't see how that fact could justify the retention of Kennedy transfer.

Instead of one bad transfer, we would just have two.

The proposed Ontario/Eglinton Line transfer design is bad. I don't see how that fact could justify the retention of Kennedy transfer.

Instead of one bad transfer, we would just have two.
Asides from those who have mobility issues, personally I dont see what the big fuss is about the current transfer arrangements. It's not the most optimal layout there's no doubt about that, but at least the connection is all within the station confines. We're not talking about some Spadina style transfer, nor are we talking about a Dundas West/Bloor GO situation.

Nevertheless these are all moot points, the SRT is due to crumble away any day now and riders will probably be forced on buses for years before the Bloor-Danforth line extension is complete.

I don't think transfers are necessarily a problem, but if there is a bad design for a transfer, it is probably what we have planned for STC with the subway.

Multiple levels of ascension/descending between subway and the massive bus bay, that is going to take well over 5 minutes for a lot of people.

Kennedy transfer would not have been a problem if Line 2 was being extended eastwards and SRT would be an additional line ending at Kennedy. But no, the transfer at Kennedy is needed to continue the journey in the same direction. This is not comparable to Bloor-Yonge or Ontario Line transfer at Eglinton. Those transfers involve change lines to change your direction of journey. If you don't make that transfer, the train still continues ahead in its direction.

First of all, it is not closer to Pickering in any way. There's still 10 km of distance between this place and Pickering border which is not much different from the distance between this place and Yonge (14 km).

Saying that STC is far outside the downtown is ludicrous. I am not talking about Whitby or Ajax or even Port Union. STC is "FAR" closer to Yonge than it is to the fringes of GTA. Just for reference, eastern limit of GTA is 78 km from Yonge on 401 while this place is just 14 km from Yonge. It is practically in the centre of the metropolitan area. I haven't even gone on to consider Greater Golden Horseshoe.

Note: I don't even live in Scarborough and neither do I plan to live there.

STC is far outside downtown in the context we're discussing. If Whitby and Ajax are your comparisons then you've made my point.

At 36 Lee Centre Drive you're closer to Pickering than you are to Downtown Toronto. There's no escaping that.

Somehow, having a direct subway line from downtown to Etobicoke or even outside the city of Toronto to Vaughan and Richmond Hill is okay but having subway to the centre of Scarborough is a problem.

There isn't a direct subway line from Etobicoke to Downtown Toronto. You have to make a transfer.

You're also a lot closer to Downtown Toronto from Etobicoke than you are from STC.

Scarborough was it's own city up until 1998. They build their City Centre where they felt it was in their best interests. Downtown accessibility from a transit perspective doesn't seem to have been their priority, so it should be no surprise why things are the way they are now.

Kennedy transfer would not have been a problem if Line 2 was being extended eastwards and SRT would be an additional line ending at Kennedy. But no, the transfer at Kennedy is needed to continue the journey in the same direction. This is not comparable to Bloor-Yonge or Ontario Line transfer at Eglinton. Those transfers involve change lines to change your direction of journey. If you don't make that transfer, the train still continues ahead in its direction.

It isn't the same direction. You're doing directly north.

Making a transfer at Kennedy has always seemed completely natural to me.

It isn't the same direction. You're doing directly north.

Making a transfer at Kennedy has always seemed completely natural to me.
Its a natural continuation of the line which is the North-East direction. If Line 3 was solely a North-South line you might have an argument but its not. Most people take it to travel North East, the same direction as Line 2 between Main Street and Kennedy.

Back